Ford Focus ST Forum banner
41 - 60 of 136 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Fair play to tdi tuneing they have tried everything whith this performance chip even had it back tried multiple remap programs but this st donkey won't except anything I would say the so called turbo has gone on permanent holiday 馃ぃ馃ぃ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Booked in to ford for next Friday software update see if they can find anything hopefully can get through this but this will be the last time or there will be a cheap focus st so called 250 bhp for whatever I can get for it and here is donkey馃ぃ馃ぃ
Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Registered
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Ok so get to ford this morning planning software update to be told they won't do It because it could kill the car could erase its whole memory 馃ぃ馃ぃ so end of line for this car what a joke

Premium Member
Ok so get to ford this morning planning software update to be told they won't do It because it could kill the car could erase its whole memory 馃ぃ馃ぃ so end of line for this car what a joke
Thats BS try a different ford garage. Iv had updates done on previous Fords before.

Premium Member
Jason SB MK3 RS MAXD 400
Thats BS try a different ford garage. Iv had updates done on previous Fords before.
Exactly a pcm update won鈥檛 erase a whole memory just update to the latest calibration. Same here had it done loads of times.
Its done without even asking you if there is an update available.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Has anyone got any advice on hybrid turbo upgrade been told standard engine will be fine with it 馃 or is there something need doing first ??

Premium Member
Has anyone got any advice on hybrid turbo upgrade been told standard engine will be fine with it 馃 or is there something need doing first ??
Have a look at the project half send vids on youtube by edge autosport.

"We're taking a dive into the new Garrett PowerMax turbo upgrade for the Focus ST! This thing is as "bolt-on" as it gets for a turbo upgrade. We feel this is what the car should have came with from the factory. Quick spooling, higher flowing, and works with all the stock components. "

Premium Member
Mk3 ST305
There's conflicting opinions on whether the standard engine will be 'fine'. What figures are you aiming for with a hybrid turbo? Personally' I've gone down the route of a forged engine (apparently the 2.0L block is solid, but the pistons are the weak link, unlike the 2.3L block which has a tendency to crack between cylinders 2 & 3 apparently) with a Sabre stage 2 map. Following the forging, I'm booked for a Sabre 350R hybrid turbo with an Aquamist water/meth kit. However, there's probably quite a bit of hardware that would be preferable to fit prior to the turbo upgrade. If not done so already, I believe there's more to be gained from fitting a roll restrictor/torque mount and an ATB diff, plus a disc & pad upgrade. It's fine going quick in a straight line, but inevitably you're going to encounter some twisty bits. Consideration should be given to an intercooler & cold air intake system, and a boost hose/hard pipe upgrade as well, then possibly some coil overs, upgraded anti-roll bars & drop links and maybe a strut brace. Once it's handling sweetly, perhaps then it's time to pile on the power (you may want to factor in a clutch upgrade too) and maybe a cast inlet manifold (the OEM plastic ST item is only rated to 300bhp by Ford). But that's just my opinion though.

Owen Developments come well recommended, and have a range of turbo options, have a perusal:

Premium Member
There's conflicting opinions on whether the standard engine will be 'fine'. What figures are you aiming for with a hybrid turbo? Personally' I've gone down the route of a forged engine (apparently the 2.0L block is solid, but the pistons are the weak link, unlike the 2.3L block which has a tendency to crack between cylinders 2 & 3 apparently) with a Sabre stage 2 map. Following the forging, I'm booked for a Sabre 350R hybrid turbo with an Aquamist water/meth kit. However, there's probably quite a bit of hardware that would be preferable to fit prior to the turbo upgrade. If not done so already, I believe there's more to be gained from fitting a roll restrictor/torque mount and an ATB diff, plus a disc & pad upgrade. It's fine going quick in a straight line, but inevitably you're going to encounter some twisty bits. Consideration should be given to an intercooler & cold air intake system, and a boost hose/hard pipe upgrade as well, then possibly some coil overs, upgraded anti-roll bars & drop links and maybe a strut brace. Once it's handling sweetly, perhaps then it's time to pile on the power (you may want to factor in a clutch upgrade too) and maybe a cast inlet manifold (the OEM plastic ST item is only rated to 300bhp by Ford). But that's just my opinion though.

Owen Developments come well recommended, and have a range of turbo options, have a perusal:
Im sure you could reach around 350 on standard internals with a decent custom tune/turbo/intercooler/decat/intake. The car will obviously be tuned before knock/det become an issue then pulled back some, if run on the correct octane for the tune i dont see why it would be an issue. Also how the power is introduced can have a big impact on how long the engine will last. A perfect example is a guy on "Offically Gassed" youtube channel running 700bhp on his Golf R with stock internals. All down to how his custom tune is setup. Be nice if you could do a little video/walkaround or even a written review of your car once you have had the work done be intresting to see how much better/faster it is, over a 320bhp CP2v2 for example which is tuned to the limits of the stock turbo and within safe regen of knock/det.

Also it might not be worth considering for him, if 30-40 bhp doesnt feel that much overwhelming faster than a generic stage 2 map. Since a turbo upgrade and a custom tune alone run into the thousands.

Premium Member
Mk3 ST305
I'm sure you could reach around 350 on standard internals with a decent custom tune/turbo/intercooler/decat/intake. The car will obviously be tuned before knock/det become an issue then pulled back some, if run on the correct octane for the tune I don't see why it would be an issue. Also how the power is introduced can have a big impact on how long the engine will last. A perfect example is a guy on "Officially Gassed" youtube channel running 700bhp on his Golf R with stock internals. All down to how his custom tune is setup. Be nice if you could do a little video/walkaround or even a written review of your car once you have had the work done be interesting to see how much better/faster it is, over a 320bhp CP2v2 for example which is tuned to the limits of the stock turbo and within safe regen of knock/det.

Also it might not be worth considering for him, if 30-40 bhp doesn't feel that much overwhelming faster than a generic stage 2 map. Since a turbo upgrade and a custom tune alone run into the thousands.
Perhaps around 350bhp could be achieved on stock internals, and I'd agree it depends how 'savage' the tune is, in regards to engine stresses and longevity. I've watched the OG Golf R on YouTube (seems that VAG motors are over engineered and respond well to careful tuning/mods, there's a ballistic Audi R8 on OG developing 1200bhp on stock internals too). Undeniably, nothing is foolproof tuning/mods wise, but I wanted to safeguard as far as is practicable, hence the forging. Otherwise it would always be in the back of my mind that catastrophic engine failure is just around the corner (it still might be anyway, even with the forging). Mines currently developing 305bhp & 350lb/ft which aren't particularly big figures (+24% & +31% respectively over stock) but it drives nicely. The stark reality though, is that its cost 拢k's just to achieve those mediocre figures. Not complaining as it's entirely of my own volition, but I've haemorrhaged money along the way, and probably will continue to do so (the pursuit of enhanced performance is addictive). I'd be up for doing review, but not sure how well it would be received by the audience (it might come across as a bit braggy). Besides, there's already nicer/newer/more powerful kit on the forum than mine that's probably of greater interest.

Premium Member
Perhaps around 350bhp could be achieved on stock internals, and I'd agree it depends how 'savage' the tune is, in regards to engine stresses and longevity. I've watched the OG Golf R on YouTube (seems that VAG motors are over engineered and respond well to careful tuning/mods, there's a ballistic Audi R8 on OG developing 1200bhp on stock internals too). Undeniably, nothing is foolproof tuning/mods wise, but I wanted to safeguard as far as is practicable, hence the forging. Otherwise it would always be in the back of my mind that catastrophic engine failure is just around the corner (it still might be anyway, even with the forging). Mines currently developing 305bhp & 350lb/ft which aren't particularly big figures (+24% & +31% respectively over stock) but it drives nicely. The stark reality though, is that its cost 拢k's just to achieve those mediocre figures. Not complaining as it's entirely of my own volition, but I've haemorrhaged money along the way, and probably will continue to do so (the pursuit of enhanced performance is addictive). I'd be up for doing review, but not sure how well it would be received by the audience (it might come across as a bit braggy). Besides, there's already nicer/newer/more powerful kit on the forum than mine that's probably of greater interest.
Of course forging would be better, it does intrest me how long standard internals would last with a big turbo, im sure more could be pushed safely out of standard internals just for the reason that, thats always been the bottleneck for more power with the standard setup. I wouldnt worry about an engine failure at 350 bhp forged, there is no chance unless something has been done wrong. Many people on this form are running stage 2 @ 320 BHP give or take with zero issues as there daily drivers. Is your 305BHP figure with standard cat and turbo, intresting how your getting less BHP than a generic stage 2 map like collins proformance, other companys like revo also quote higher for stage 2? Did you enquite why 305? Im sure you mentioned somewhere you had a decat and an intercooler, could be wrong.

Im currently around 290bhp (CP1-2020) and car also drives nicely but mines just a simple stage 1 tune. Intrested in going further myself but what to exceed stage 2.

I wouldnt say your money is wasted to acheieve those figures. You have forged, now you need your turbo changed and a custom tune. You should be hitting around 350-360, if you want to go over 380 the HPFP and injectiors would need changed. I do think if you can get it close to 380 maxing out the fuel system that would be the sweet spot as reliability may be questionable then.

Premium Member
Mk3 ST305
Originally I started with the Mountune MR300 calibration and the associated hardware (IC, CAIS, MT cast inlet manifold, ram air snorkel, boost hose/hard pipe, recirc valve, Iridium 6510 plugs, plus MT 3" 200 cell sports cat, & 2.5" cat back exhaust) and Piper 270B fast road cams. It only achieved 292PS & 435Nm on Sabre's dyno (as opposed to Mountune's suggested 300PS / 470Nm) plus it was running lumpy due to the cams. Sabre mapped it and smoothed it out, and I was/am happy with the outcome, so I didn't query the result. With a forged engine, hybrid turbo & water/meth, I think Sabre can turn up the wick, and 350bhp should be reached, but I don't really know what bhp/torque figures to expect. If it gets anywhere near 380bhp I'd be well happy. Depending on what Sabre recommend, if it will benefit from an uprated pump & injectors for further gains, then I'll go all in.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Looked at garret powermax turbo upgrade lot of money and a lot of work for minimum gains in power upgrade im assuming without doing drastic engine upgrades nothing will put a smile on your face with these cars ??

Premium Member
When did you buy the car and was it bought private or through a garage? Did you test drive it first. If it's a garage take it back along with the receipts of all the work you've done trying to resolve the issue. If all else fails burn it and buy another Mondeo

Premium Member
Jason SB MK3 RS MAXD 400
Lots of people do enjoy the MK3/3.5 tbf fair and some are happy with a stage 1 remap as it livens the car up and others continually strive for more power which is very possible in these cars but to do this is going to cost a lot of money.:)

Premium Member
Mk3 ST305
Looked at garret powermax turbo upgrade lot of money and a lot of work for minimum gains in power upgrade I'm assuming without doing drastic engine upgrades nothing will put a smile on your face with these cars ??
Regrettably, it appears that you may have been unfortunate and bought a lemon. Nonetheless, there's countless members on this forum who derive immense pleasure and satisfaction from ST ownership in its various guises.
Presumably there was something appealing that first attracted you to the car and convinced you to make the purchase. Certainly from the pic you posted, it looks to be a tidy piece of kit, and worth hanging on to.
It is perhaps a truism, but the old adage 'nothing in life worth having comes easily' may be applicable to ST ownership. Consequently, sometimes you have to persevere. I know it's of little solice, but hang in there and by the process of elimination it may come good (there's access to an abundance of help/advice/insight from forum members) and you'll be rewarded with a quality driving experience. Failing that, take s66anb's advice i.e. return to garage if applicable, although I'd draw the line at torching it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Regrettably, it appears that you may have been unfortunate and bought a lemon. Nonetheless, there's countless members on this forum who derive immense pleasure and satisfaction from ST ownership in its various guises.
Presumably there was something appealing that first attracted you to the car and convinced you to make the purchase. Certainly from the pic you posted, it looks to be a tidy piece of kit, and worth hanging on to.
It is perhaps a truism, but the old adage 'nothing in life worth having comes easily' may be applicable to ST ownership. Consequently, sometimes you have to persevere. I know it's of little solice, but hang in there and by the process of elimination it may come good (there's access to an abundance of help/advice/insight from forum members) and you'll be rewarded with a quality driving experience. Failing that, take s66anb's advice i.e. return to garage if applicable, although I'd draw the line at torching it.
It's been tested its still got 250bhp 405ft pounds of torque I've yet to see any of it from this car I just laugh at it you say people are happy even from standard cars obviously easily pleased 馃ぃ nobody wants to even look at it to see why it won't increase in performance German cars only 馃ぃ so it might get striped for parts yet or local banger racing

Premium Member
Jason SB MK3 RS MAXD 400
Not sure where you have got 405lb of torque from a std car it鈥檚 no where near that. My RS with a stage1R Pumaspeed map pulled 410lb on Sabre dyno and with that amount of torque makes a massive difference in performance.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Not sure where you have got 405lb of torque from a std car it鈥檚 no where near that. My RS with a stage1R Pumaspeed map pulled 410lb on Sabre dyno and with that amount of torque makes a massive difference in performance.
I know that's what I found strange never has this car got that much torque 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

Premium Member
Jason SB MK3 RS MAXD 400
It鈥檚 never going make that figure with a stage 1 map as it鈥檚 only 265lb standard.

41 - 60 of 136 Posts