Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my car with ford twice now over my steering fault and both times they are saying they can't fault it. It's really being to
me the
off. Am getting to the stage where am falling out of love with the car and don't want it anymore. Really thinking about rejecting it because of the steering and the fact that it nearly killed me on Sunday when I was heading to a meet and nearly hit the car in the middle lane. I know I've got to give the three chances to find it and fix it but surly it's unsafe to be driving. If anything did happen to me or my family because of it do you think the would take responsibility for it because I don't. Sorry for the rant just
off

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
just to get a diagnosis them put it into the garage.
ask the garage you are using if you can claim it back as they cant find a fault

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I've come across this on a few vectras at work. When your sat still and move the steering wheel very slightly (1-2mm left and right) can you feel a minor knock? As it will be worth checking the linkages on the steering joints from the collum to the rack. I've found several vectras where the joint of the collum to the rack the 13mm bolt isn't tight enough. 1/4 of a turn. Is all that was needed but this was enough to cause the same problems your having. Failing that there may be an issue with the torque resistance in the power steering motor

·
Formerly Azionamento
2,760 Posts
Get one of the senior techs at the garage to drive the car with you as passenger, take them on a route that will demonstrate the problem - then we they see/feel it for themselves they might be able to diagnose it. If it's wrong when it's handed back, tell them you want a courtesy car and they can keep it until it's fixed. Give them a deadline when you are going to reject the car. Put it in writing.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Good luck OP, I know from very recent experience how hard it is to get a main dealer to treat a fault seriously, I got told there was nothing wrong with mine & it broke down that same evening!

I know rejecting a car isn't easy though, especially if the dealer won't even agree there is a fault. Suggest you call Ford Customer Relationship Centre, I did with mine.

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
Didn't one of the guys get a new steering rack recently for the same issue?
maybe go to his dealer as they are aware of it, if the distance isn't to great?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been on to ford customer relationship centre yesterday and they got hold of the dealer today so am just waiting to see what they can do for me. I understand its not going to be easy but something need to be done its not safe. I might need to take it out with some one in it with me because all they doing is puttin it on the ramps and I'll get a letter written out then ready

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
When am driving over 60mph on a motorway the car won't stay in a straight line am all ways fighting with it to keep it in the lane.
i was talking to a mate who works for a local ford dealer and he said its something to do with the pins on the steering rack causing steering problems, but i dont know how true this is as i only have what he told me, i do know across the water the american fourms there is quite a few people complaining about the same fault. especially driving on motorways

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Didn't one of the guys get a new steering rack recently for the same issue?
maybe go to his dealer as they are aware of it, if the distance isn't to great?
I didn't even think of that mate. It's a good idea

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
I didn't even think of that mate. It's a good idea
I would mate

Think it was Shamone.
surely if they have come across the fault and fixed his they can't deny it exists and will have to repair yours.
warranty is good at any Ford dealer mate and if your branch are being dipsticks then try elsewhere

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
Ford sent out tech guys for Gary's car and admitted it was an issue, so Ford are definitely aware of it. He got a new steering rack, which is the solution that a fair few people across the pond have been given. So it's quite obviously a dodgy batch of steering racks, or they're being fitted incorrectly.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've messaged him to see what he did but now I know thanks Sean. Yeah I really think am going to have to find some where else to go. They really don't seem to know what they are doing. Thanks two stingy

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Shamone has had a new rack and cured it, mine has been in and out 4 times and ford can't replicate it. (Only once on the sort of run it needed). It's now to the point i've told them i'm not comfortable on the motorway with it. I've also said I have no plans to be killed by my car.

The dealer has been on top form and until the fault can be repliacted have their hands tied.

Customer relations are in touch with me everyday keeping me up to speed and to be fair I can't fault them.

Progress is slow but moving in the right direction.

A lot of peeps have said they know nothing of the issue and I have commented to them and so has my dealer about the amount of issues via here/US forums with similar issues and the same fix (new rack).

So now i'm at the stage where my dealer believes there is a fault but can't replicate it and are seeking advice from customer relations who are talking to ford technical. I'm due another phone call tomorrow to see how i'm progressing.

I would say stick with it, the more people that experience the issue the more they'll be able to do/see.

From what i've been reading it's not so much a problem with the rack, more that they appear to have been overtightened at the factory. It seems as the speed builds up and the assistance subsides that somewhere along the line it can't cope and binds.

1 - 20 of 208 Posts