Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening All,

x-box gave me the old red ring of death tonight (again)

Is there a fix for it?? I think i remembered someone posting about it on here, i searched on it but cant find anything

Dont want to have to go through Microsoft for the 3rd time as it takes about 3 weeks to get it back and i know for a fact im getting some games for my crimbo

Cheers all

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I don't know about a quick fix but I do know how to prevent getting it. The red ring of death is primarily caused by the xbox getting too hot and screwing up. I got one of those "intercooler" fan things to put on the back to aid in cooling and, touch wood, ive run mine now for 3 years and not had a single problem with. Only down side is they can make a bit more noise but it's worth it for the life span of the system.

·
1,599 Posts
there are some fixs out there but they'll void your warranty. you get the rrod due to an x plate on the motherboard overheating and warping. some people have wrapped their xbox in a towel and left it on for days in a bid to warp it back - think this is hit and miss though. otherwise you can open it up and remove the xplate altogether

I didn't fancy these options s i sent mine back to microsoft and they sent me a shiny new one. But like you say you won't have it by xmas, search red ring of death on google, there should be loads on it.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
QUOTE(rickylee @ 13 Dec 2009, 07:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>there are some fixs out there but they'll void your warranty. you get the rrod due to an x plate on the motherboard overheating and warping. some people have wrapped their xbox in a towel and left it on for days in a bid to warp it back - think this is hit and miss though. otherwise you can open it up and remove the xplate altogether

I didn't fancy these options s i sent mine back to microsoft and they sent me a shiny new one. But like you say you won't have it by xmas, search red ring of death on google, there should be loads on it.

+1

i had the same on my elite sent it back within a week they sent me a nice shiny new 1 aswell

note if the xbox is over 3yrs old microsoft will charge you about £100 i think for them to fix it

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
QUOTE(theboy @ 13 Dec 2009, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thought it waas only the old ones that suffered from ROD
I was told it was the solder melting on the joints when it was hot and when it cooled down you ended up with a dry joint???

my elite was 1 of the brand new 1s and it happened to that
but microsoft replaced it with a new 1

·
Registered
343 Posts
iv fixed about 5 now, the problem is the x-clamps do not hold the heat syncs firmly enough on the CPU and graphics chips. basically this allows the heat transferring pastes to seep out of the gap between the two. All u need to do is open it up, removed the x-clamps, clean of the old thermal paste and then re paste and reattach the heat syncs using screws (work so much better than x-clamps)
Doing this does void warrantee but it takes 30 mins max if you have the bits needed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(focus149 @ 13 Dec 2009, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mine had the e74 message toyed with the idea of changing it for an elite but decided to send it back , rrrod and e74 messages are repaired foc , mine was only gone a week and was replaced with a new console

Guys,

Thanks for the reply's but explain this one, when i plugged it in on Saturday morning it came back to life, played it for an hour on saturday and about the same yesterday and it worked fine

The real
is when it fell over it burned a ring into my COD disk

So far so good, i will look out my warranty again just incase but at the moment im a happy bunny

·
Registered
343 Posts
just double checked and there are infact holes in the inner metal case at the top and the bottom, i humbly withdraw my previous statement.

Although how much these holes do is questionable....

If any one wants instructions on how to fix their Xbox let me know and ill gladly help, Im now doing my 7th one lol

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well my xbox elite just died last night, i now have the Error 74, i have just went through support to get it sent away,
This close to xmas what a pain as i wont see it back until next year,

Guess i will buy another one then sell the elite when it is back.

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
QUOTE(marcobz @ 16 Dec 2009, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Got my son's back from repair a week or so ago, he used it 3 times and the E74 message has come up again

He's not a happy bunny, won't be back now until the new year

The last time I had mine repaired I was told it could take three weeks, but I had it back within a week.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.