Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
evening all

we project of mine was to have a grill light come on when i locked the car. the results are below, involved a microswitch in the door, a timed relay and some tears lol would work for automating anything you could want when the car is locked. if anyone would like a guide let me know

btw i know it looks pink but it was just my camera messing about

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ooooohhhh night rider! i like it in a strange 1980's way.
actually had them in first as a mess about :S and to mess with some video editing

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=PuWOKxWv50s

ill get a how to sorted soon. i do not have many pics of the components atm and sorta need them

in a nutshell you need a microswitch, timed relay, lights, some 12v wire, some black 2 core ( i used headphone wires) to wire up the swtich, some connector blocks and crimp connectors if yours not wanting 2 solder all the connections. the ones i used are linked below

switch
relay
led strip

step 1
take the door card off and using a bracket ( i found a small piece of plastic the right size) and mount the switch on the inside the the black plastic casing of the door handle. position it so that when the door is locked the lever hits the switch

step 2
feed the cable from this to behind the glove box, taking the glove box out first of course. there was a few different ways to feed this though but i basically just went with the easiest which just sits across from the door 2 the inside door pillar but not the most tidy

step 3
feed a 12v supply from the battery though the gromit jsut behind the battery and this feeds straight to behind the glove box. as you need a wire in and wire out easiest thing to do is give urself a good 3 meters and bend it in two and feed this folded bit thought. having two people for this bit is a great help!!

Step 4
wire up the relay, its very straight forward when you get the relay and see the diagram. i cant find the link that used to be on the website, if you have any experience in wiring up lights or audio this shouldnt be a problem. there is a suitable earth in jsut to the back left if i remember right

step 5
take out the tray below the engine, its a bit tight but you do not even need 2 jack the car up for this. i mounted the strip using cable ties along the 'lip' along the tray.

Step 6
once this is all in it will work when you lock or unlock the car.

i know this is a very basic guide but it is pretty straight forward and ill get pics sorted asap

1 - 6 of 6 Posts