Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
ST225 - CP340
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The small pipe on the bottom left (underside) of the plenum near where the symposer hose comes off the boost pipe keeps popping off my car.

I'll push it back on all the way, but it'll still pop off after a relatively short period of time. Not impacting performance that I can tell, but getting the annoying "dump" sound on lift off.

Just wanted to check there are no issues with me sticking a ziptie around it to keep it secured or whether it's a sign of another/bigger issue that I need to resolve first...

Started to occur after getting oil filter housing/breather pipe replaced a week or so ago (if that makes a difference...)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Started to occur after getting oil filter housing/breather pipe replaced a week or so ago (if that makes a difference...)
that is rather interesting

it should give performance issues

boost spikes probably not much of a issue as its blowing off trough the hole

actually never checked if it has a one way valve

more people having this issue however i took off mine a lot of times but it never came of by itself

·
Registered
ST225 - CP340
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that is rather interesting

it should give performance issues

boost spikes probably not much of a issue as its blowing off trough the hole

actually never checked if it has a one way valve

more people having this issue however i took off mine a lot of times but it never came of by itself
No, seems fine from what I can feel. Boost dies off a little more slowly than normal but still boosting hard otherwise.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Available via Torque or similar?
tried to get that working with a custom pid but didnt get it to work

maybe someone does know though

i know joachim can make a log maybe he is willing to make 2 logs

one with hose attached and one removed

i have to get my laptop out

guessing the duty cycle is way higher than it normally is

unless the plenum has a one way valve

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
@andip85 I had the same issue and when left off for a while it starts causing boost issues. Mine is cable tied although I have known people to superglue them on, which I dont recommend if for any reason you do need to remove that pipe.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
You guy mean this pipe yeah??

Hand Hood Automotive tire Finger Automotive exterior

Ive just recently had this again to! Noticed on the way back from FordFair that the car was feeling a little sluggish when overtaking. Next time I floored it i checked the boost gauge and only boosting to 1/2. Pulled over and checked this pipe as this pipe and it was indeed off. This happened to me a while ago and I raised a thread on it as thought it was a dodgy boost solenoid! But no, this pipe was off again! Thats only twice in 5 years of ownership though.

Attachments

·
Registered
ST225 - CP340
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah that's the pipe!

Zip tied back on - was a total pain to get a tie in though due to the lip/shroud around the nipple on the plenum.Managed to get it tight close ish to the bottom so hopefully that's enough to keep it on now otherwise need to get some even smaller zip ties or come up with an alternative!

·
Registered
544 Posts
did 2 runs

1 with hose connected

boosts nicely tot 1.2 bar and waste gate duty cycle goes to about 90% and than slowly climbs to 100% at like 5000 rippems

( shows how demaning modx is is on the turbo.. its slightly to small )

with hose disconnected

duty cycle goes to 100% and just stay there the whole time

only running 0.7 bars and slowly dropping trough the revs

i didnt pull it past 4700 trippems cause the engine sounds just god awful

so unless you are running a map that only boosts up to 0.7 you will certainly have performance issues

you should atleast have more lag

·
Registered
ST225 - CP340
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
did 2 runs

1 with hose connected

boosts nicely tot 1.2 bar and waste gate duty cycle goes to about 90% and than slowly climbs to 100% at like 5000 rippems

( shows how demaning modx is is on the turbo.. its slightly to small )

with hose disconnected

duty cycle goes to 100% and just stay there the whole time

only running 0.7 bars and slowly dropping trough the revs

i didnt pull it past 4700 trippems cause the engine sounds just god awful

so unless you are running a map that only boosts up to 0.7 you will certainly have performance issues

you should atleast have more lag
Interesting - I'll keep an eye out next time it goes (hopefully doesn't though) and see if there's any difference in performance. Engine sounds fine from what I can hear though - other than the typical dump sound off boost.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Interesting - I'll keep an eye out next time it goes (hopefully doesn't though) and see if there's any difference in performance. Engine sounds fine from what I can hear though - other than the typical dump sound off boost.
As I mentioned in my post, I noticed the difference in performance straight away on my map! (Revo Stage 2) Car felt like it was being held back. The difference is night and day without the pipe connected on my car. Just lucky I recognised what it was straight away.

·
Registered
ST225 - CP340
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Probably is a bit better on pickup now - she was certainly still boosting hard even with the pipe off but feels a bit smoother to drive conciously comparing on vs off.

Hasn't popped off yet so hopefully that's the end of the issues now...

·
Registered
ST225 - CP340
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Popped off today on the way back to Silverstone again!

How have you guys cable tied yours on? Can't get the tie I have high enough up the pipe (due to the "tab" on the plenum) - maybe just need to get some teeny ties?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Popped off today on the way back to Silverstone again!

How have you guys cable tied yours on? Can't get the tie I have high enough up the pipe (due to the "tab" on the plenum) - maybe just need to get some teeny ties?
Teeny tie is what Ive got on mine, if youve not sorted come the Whitby run Ill have a look if you want?

·
Registered
5 Posts
You guy mean this pipe yeah??

View attachment 859337

Ive just recently had this again to! Noticed on the way back from FordFair that the car was feeling a little sluggish when overtaking. Next time I floored it i checked the boost gauge and only boosting to 1/2. Pulled over and checked this pipe as this pipe and it was indeed off. This happened to me a while ago and I raised a thread on it as thought it was a dodgy boost solenoid! But no, this pipe was off again! Thats only twice in 5 years of ownership though.
This is probably on another thread, I’m new to the st world. I’ve brought an st and it had a dump valve fitted. I’ve removed it but the other end of this pipe you guys are on about isn’t connected to anything. I was just wondering if you guys would be able to help me out and tell me what it’s meant to be connect to 😅

1 - 20 of 27 Posts