Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi guys.

Had a bit of an accident with the ice and all, ended up going sideways into a kerb, resulted in my driverside rear wheel seems to be catching, cant tell if its the tyre or the wheel or what, but its making a catching noise upon any movement, it hit pretty hard im just thinking could it be the axle? i really hope not.

Any help appriciated

Edit: Just got it jacked up and the wheel only moves half a turn before stopping, other side moves freely, thinking it could be a buckled disc?

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(xnescx @ 17 Dec 2009, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi guys.

Had a bit of an accident with the ice and all, ended up going sideways into a kerb, resulted in my driverside rear wheel seems to be catching, cant tell if its the tyre or the wheel or what, but its making a catching noise upon any movement, it hit pretty hard im just thinking could it be the axle? i really hope not.

Any help appriciated

Edit: Just got it jacked up and the wheel only moves half a turn before stopping, other side moves freely, thinking it could be a buckled disc?
Take the wheel off and have a look at the tyre/rim for shiny marks where it may have been rubbing. If the hub spins free then you've got something out of line in the rear suspension. If it still drags then unbolt the 2 slider bolts for the rear caliper, pull it away from the disc and see again if the hub spins freely.

Either way I'd expect you've given the rear suspension a whack rather than having a warped/bent disc
With the sT rear suspension you've not got an axle as such but a trailing arm, hub, lower arm and upper arm etc all hanging off a cross beam etc. Bit like this

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Ill get it off tomorrow and have a good look, if it is what you think would it be a case of re adjusting it or would it be a case of replacement parts.

Thanks
Rich

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(xnescx @ 17 Dec 2009, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the reply.

Ill get it off tomorrow and have a good look, if it is what you think would it be a case of re adjusting it or would it be a case of replacement parts.

Thanks
Rich
Would depend if it's obvious what's bent and you can pull it off the car to straighten it properly. Wouldn't do your alignment much good and you may struggle to get it corrected through the usual adjustments depending on what's been knocked out of line. They can only adjust camber with a bit of toe-in as a side-effect.

New parts would have the advantage of no stress cracks etc appearing at a later date. Maybe unlikely but safety first me thinks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well had a look....and as far as i can see the disc is bent, its pushing right over onto the pads, just need to get it off and check the hub moves freely, fingers crossed mind they dont make the caliper bracket bolts easy to remove

Thanks for your help mate, appreciate it.

Rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts