Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've worn through a set of tyres on the rear in 5000 miles.

All 4 tyres were changed at the same time and the fronts usually wear much faster.

All 4 tyres were Maxxis Victra-Sport 01 which I got when the wheels were refurbed (they are rubbish by the way, I will be putting Michelin PS04s on next)

My fronts are at 3mm so I didn't think to check rears until the other day, they are smooth across the wear indicator!

They have worn straight down the middle with even wear, what is likely to have caused this?

Just a tracking issue or are there any likely worn parts to check? Car is a 07 with 82k.

Over-inflation maybe? I run 34Psi all round

Thanks in advance

· Registered
1,216 Posts
Hi,

All 4 tyres were changed at the same time and the fronts usually wear much faster.
All 4 tyres were Maxxis Victra-Sport 01 which I got when the wheels were refurbed (they are rubbish by the way, I will be putting Michelin PS04s on next)
My fronts are at 3mm so I didn't think to check rears until the other day, they are smooth across the wear indicator!

They have worn straight down the middle with even wear, what is likely to have caused this?
Just a tracking issue or are there any likely worn parts to check? Car is a 07 with 82k.

Thanks in advance
Strange one this. Have you been carrying many passengers or heavy items in the boot? Also I would get a fully geometry check. (Hunter machine)

· Registered
4,371 Posts
This is because of the alignment on the rear ..You will more than likely find it because of the camber and toe adjustments .Ideally if your car is standard and you still have original rear bushes and drop links etc then I'm guessing they are probably pretty tired by now ..give or take .
Get it on a Hunter 4 wheel alignment and get it checked and see what the figures are ...

· Registered
396 Posts
Hi,

Thanks in advance
I had this a while back. it turned out the rear wheel alignment was well off.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is because of the alignment on the rear ..You will more than likely find it because of the camber and toe adjustments .Ideally if your car is standard and you still have original rear bushes and drop links etc then I'm guessing they are probably pretty tired by now ..give or take .
Get it on a Hunter 4 wheel alignment and get it checked and see what the figures are ...
I had this a while back. it turned out the rear wheel alignment was well off.
It will be toe adjustment wrong. Scrubbing the treads out.
Thanks for the advice.

I'm booked in for a full laser alignment check in a week so hopefully it will be well out and can be sorted nice and cheaply!

I have this feeling though that it may only be going badly out of alignment when under load, which a geo-check wouldn't pick up as its stationary but we'll see

· Registered
4,749 Posts
Could be, but you'd expect weird wear as well, not just accelerated wear.

Lots of highway driving will kill the rears fast with improper setup. Many years ago I got adjustable rear camber arms to fix bad tyre wear traits.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Could be, but you'd expect weird wear as well, not just accelerated wear.

Lots of highway driving will kill the rears fast with improper setup. Many years ago I got adjustable rear camber arms to fix bad tyre wear traits.
What robbo said. Id bet on it being excessive Toe causing the inner edges of the tyre treads to wear prematurely
Thanks, It's all booked-in for the alignment. I'm hoping that they find its miles out so at least I'll know then!

I'll keep the thread updated...

· Registered
1,003 Posts
Thanks, It's all booked-in for the alignment. I'm hoping that they find its miles out so at least I'll know then!

I'll keep the thread updated...
Ive noticed recently the toe keeps going out slightly with mine as well, by comparing the laser alignment printouts even with 3 visits to my tyre shop over the past year (only a few months in between), so ive considered getting Hardrace adjustable toe arms to effectively lock them in place...Id say if rear suspension geo hasnt been checked on your car in a while then that'd be the problem...that and/or your toe arm bushes are worn past their best..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.