Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically I have a noise like a diesel from cold when I start up, its gone within about a minute and only comes back from completely cold.

This happened before and Ford told me it was the turbo, we eventually settled on me supplying a turbo and them fitting as I was 1k out of warranty (not happy! it was only 2.5yrs old)

However it turns out speaking to people now that because the rattle rises and drops in line with the engine rpm it probably wasn't the turbo which makes me very happy.. honestly... I had no need for that £500.

Anyway this week my car went to Tremona in southampton who found that 1 bolt was missing and 2 were finger tight on the manifold, they tightened them up and sorted it out and it seems to have gotten quieter but its not gone.

Any ideas?

You can hear it when the idle settles in this video here at about 7 seconds in...

Help!

I'm inclined to believe its the exhaust now but I need to know if its a big issue because I pound the miles on my car (75k in 3 years!)...

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I doubt very much it would work as it does with a leak of liquid, plus there'd be smoke of some description? Final thing is I've checked the oil filler cap and there's nothing in there.

I'm still thinking exhaust tbh, I'm going to get it checked out shortly... back to tremona it's going!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
deffo manifold/exhaust especially if it goes once warmed up.You need the car up on ramps from cold and I bet you will find the problem.HTHNickQUOTE(Dazza123 @ 26 Nov 2009, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It almost sounds like there is liquid in the pistons but then i am only hearing it through mac lap top speakers! You could have leak that is clearing as the engine gets hot because it evaporating the fluid?You'd get a lot of smoke if that was the case

·
Registered
124 Posts
QUOTE(morty1970 @ 27 Nov 2009, 12:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>deffo manifold/exhaust especially if it goes once warmed up.You need the car up on ramps from cold and I bet you will find the problem.HTHNickYou'd get a lot of smoke if that was the case
Believe me mate, after what happened to me i am aware of that one!! Lol. But he didn't say there wasn't, thats why i was asking if it could be that, can't be too careful!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.