Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I’ve seen plenty of discussion about how generally rattly the ST250 engine is, particularly its signature rough idle and noisy injectors.
However I can’t help but be narked by a certain rattle / ticking sound… it seems to be linked to engine speed, is quite faint but can be heard when idling and pottering around town.
You can actually hear it disappear and then start again in this video, after giving the engine a short rev right at the end.
Does anyone have any pointers as to whether this is totally normal, or something that warrants more investigation?
Other than that, the car is has been an absolute joy in the 6 months I’ve owned it, and it’s just had a major service.
Thanks’

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,586 Posts
It's the direct injection and the timing chain that cause all of the noise. Can't really here any rattling/ticking in your video.

Reactions: Jason Sullivan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses guys.

The noise I’m referring to is most obvious right at the end of the video, after the revs drop back down to idle (it kinda of disappears during the short throttle blip.

It does sound kind of metallic, like a chain. Is this just the nature of the timing chain then?

I forgot to mention, it’s got 39k on it now, about 34k when I bought it 6 months ago. Hasn’t missed a beat otherwise

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.