Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My car has developed a really annoying rattle in the rear interior quarter panels
. Seems to be around the small speakers above the little storage boxes (armrests). It is actually ruining the enjoyment of driving and I can't always have the stereo turned right up!!
Has anyone else had this problem and found a way of stopping it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love the car but can't stand much more.

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I to had this rattle until i found some expanding foam ear plugs. I squeezed them into a small ball and placed them between the rear passenger windows and the plastic trim. You will find there is a gap between the two. The foam ear plugs then expand and stop the rattle

·
Registered
976 Posts
Good luck at finding it, I have pulled all the interior out of my ST, I cured the rattles, but theres more again now. It's the only downside of the car, my old Fiesta ST was better built than this!
And i cant turn the radio down to hear the engine as all I can hear from the rear is damn rattles!! Now my windscreen is starting to rattle, very annoyed about this ST at times, and other times I love it lol Hate to say it, but my old VXR was built like a Mercedes compared to the ST. Shame the handling wasnt much cop lol

·
Registered
976 Posts
I think my car is giving me a new rattle every day. I seem to fix a new one after work every night. Tonight it was the glovebox. Yesterday was the rear seats. What next!!... lol

·
Registered
976 Posts
Spoiler is a easy one
undo one of the bolts, lift the spoiler and shove a piece of sponge in the gap where the spoiler meets the boot, near the flat roof bit. Then re do the bolt and o the same on the other side

Passenger door is either the door card, or the door handle/arm rest. If you lift the arm rest up the rattle will go away. So I pushed a piece of sponge in where the handle meets the door card, works but the sponge gets compressed after time and rattle returns. but I pushed a piece to big in on the weekend and i've broken one of the clips, so on Saturday I'm gonna pull off the door card, place some dynamat where the handle meets the door card and put a bolt through it to make it tight. Re clip the bottom calf of the door handle to hide the bolt & Sorted

·
Registered
976 Posts
cheers bud
I put a post up back in November to cure rattes at the rear of the car. Found out more ways now. If you fold a cloth over a few times and shove it between the sides of the leather seats and the side panels that cures lots of rattles
I've still got a little rattle around the seatbelt area at the rear left of the car. But I need to get someone to drive the car while I fiddle about

I need to take pics of what I've done

I'll try and take pics on Saturday, and especially when I do the door card again

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ive had rattle/tapping noise coming from my near side rear seat belt area, after stripping the rear interior out traced it to the rear shocker top mount. They weren't expensive and easy to fit

Hope this helps cos the tapping noise was doing my head in! It was pretty much there all the time, sounded like it was coming from the rear seat/rear door trim area

·
Registered
252 Posts
one of my mates said "you Fix One Rattle Daily" ... I wonder if FORD is an acronym

my car rattles like a good 'un as well ... especially the windows (3DR) ... if they're not all the way up/down then they rattle really badly. both door cards rattle, as do the rears - i've stuck in some foam pads (positioning suggested in another thread on here - can't find it at the moment), which help for a day or two, but as they aren't stuck down they eventually work loose.

one other gripe is the rear washer cable has rubbed against the paint through to the primer and the side of the tailgate has rubbed against the rubber stoppers, again through to the primer. 6 days out of paint warranty and they don't want to know

·
Registered
976 Posts
Well I had enough of my passenger door rattles. So in the dark I pulled off the door card applied some dynamat on the clips and the rear of the door card and I placed a small cloth folded over a few times and placed this behind the card just behind the handle area. = no more rattles
I wish it was light out there so I could take some pics!

I might do the drivers door on Saturday, although that doesnt rattle, so scared to make it worse lol

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(Gardener @ 9 Feb 2010, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I to had this rattle until i found some expanding foam ear plugs. I squeezed them into a small ball and placed them between the rear passenger windows and the plastic trim. You will find there is a gap between the two. The foam ear plugs then expand and stop the rattle

I think this is definitely worth a try. I will give it a go over the next few days. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(Trist @ 10 Feb 2010, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>cheers bud
I put a post up back in November to cure rattes at the rear of the car. Found out more ways now. If you fold a cloth over a few times and shove it between the sides of the leather seats and the side panels that cures lots of rattles
I've still got a little rattle around the seatbelt area at the rear left of the car. But I need to get someone to drive the car while I fiddle about

I need to take pics of what I've done

I'll try and take pics on Saturday, and especially when I do the door card again

It would be great if you could post some pictures. i am sure they would be used quite extensively!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
other rattle sources that I've fixed in mine:

Left hand side rear light cluster - small amount of padding forced into the gap. fixed the rattle that sounded like it was from the rear seatbelt area.

rear floor level air vent beneath the passenger seat. again, some padding under the plastic to stop it moving

·
Registered
976 Posts
QUOTE(geeman @ 16 Feb 2010, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It would be great if you could post some pictures. i am sure they would be used quite extensively!!

I would love too, but I'm kinda scared to pull it off again after it's all sorted now lol. I might take the drivers side off and re do that one
I'll take pics then

QUOTE(sgcu @ 16 Feb 2010, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>other rattle sources that I've fixed in mine:

Left hand side rear light cluster - small amount of padding forced into the gap. fixed the rattle that sounded like it was from the rear seatbelt area.

rear floor level air vent beneath the passenger seat. again, some padding under the plastic to stop it moving

I've pulled the 2 rear vents off. Doesnt do any difference to the air flow! lol

U got pics of where you placed the padding at the rear lights?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Trist: will try to remember the next time I see the car in the daylight...

but basically at the bottom of the long edge in the gap between the metalwork and the light, just used a small amount of sponge and forced it in with a screwdriver (wrapped in a cloth to not scratch any paint)

if you gently bang the light cluster with your hand, mine rattled on the passenger side, the drivers was OK.

now that I know it works for me I'll take the light off and try to engineer a better solution (and get some pics)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.