Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there many people in the RAF on here. Reason i ask is im currently trying to join and was wondering what its like. Cheers.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Training can be tiring - long days at the start and there is a lot of info to learn and retain. Are you looking at going for a commission or as a junior rank?

I spent 16 years as an RAF dependant (Dad), then I was in for a while before I married my ex-husband which made me a dependant again for another 9 years. It's definitely an experience worth doing!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive applied to be an aircraft technician on the mechanical side so starting on the bottom rung of the ladder lol. Im a qualified welder by trade so already got some kind of experience. I just hate welding so thought id attempt a career change, i had 20/20 vision till i started welding at 16years of age then i straight away had to wear reading glasses.

·
Registered
773 Posts
My advice would be to make sure that you are physically fit before you go as it's easy to get injured if you aren't (I tore an achilles tendon on a cross country run and ended up in plaster and on holding flight till I got fit again). The training is designed to be testing both mentally and physically and the first few weeks are the hardest as you get used to the long hours (up early, prepare yourself and the block for inspection, full day of training, kit preparation for the next day, block cleaning (and they are picky about standards), sleep and do it all again). It is character building though and can be a laugh at times too.

Mart170 will also be able to give you a more up to date perspective as he did his training more recently than I did and it has changed (was 7 weeks, now 9 I think).

Good luck with everything. Have you done your aptitude test yet?

·
Registered
128 Posts
QUOTE(Shaggy @ 11 Feb 2010, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is there many people in the RAF on here. Reason i ask is im currently trying to join and was wondering what its like. Cheers.

Hi mate im currently a weapons technician in the RAF. Ive been in 12 years and lets just say its not exactly the same as it used to be. What trade you looking at doing? Any questions feel free to ask mate and ill try to be as honest as i can.

·
Registered
221 Posts
QUOTE(Shaggy @ 11 Feb 2010, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ive applied to be an aircraft technician on the mechanical side so starting on the bottom rung of the ladder lol. Im a qualified welder by trade so already got some kind of experience. I just hate welding so thought id attempt a career change, i had 20/20 vision till i started welding at 16years of age then i straight away had to wear reading glasses.

Shaggy,

The RAF may be your best choice to gain experience if aircraft engineering/maintenance is your choice. In civvy street, you need somewhere to get the experience before you can get your EASA/FAA licences and start earning good money. The apprenticeship was always the industry standard entry point (I did this about 25 years ago) but they are few and far between now and you're too old (no offence intended!).

Go in the RAF, get experience and enjoy travelling the world, then use your practical experience to become a non-certifying engineer (initially) within an airline and/or maintenance organisation when you come out and start building from there.

I am going through the same thing trying to get my son into it now, although he is young enough for the apprenticeship route if we can sort one.

Good luck

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was a JT in the RAF (electrician). I did 6 and a half years before PVR'ing and working for myself.

Once you get the training done and get out on the squadron then its one of the best jobs in the world. I loved it (even the training) and sometimes regret leaving. Go for it, but get yourself a trade preferably on the aircraft, it will open up many more jobs in the future.

The training can be hard and is quite mentally tough as theres lots to take in. Dont worry about the fitness side as they will gradually build you up over time to a certain level and it becomes a doddle after that.

The hardest part was bulling toe caps for me, never got the hang of it with any of the tips and tricks! Tornado nosecone paint helps though

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm in the RAF, been in nearly 5 years and work with IT/Comms equipment. If you are after any general info give me a shout.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Yup, same. I'm also in the IT/Comms side of things. Only been in just over 3 1/2 years but have a had great time. As most have said the training and trade training can wear you down at times. But even still i found the training one of the best times of my career!

If you're going aircraft tech, I'm guessing you'll be doing your trade training at Cosford near Wolverhampton and Telford after basic (9 weeks I think). Think you're training at Cosford lasts 6 months, after which you go away to a squadron and return after 18months to finish off your training and go up to the higher pay band as a techie.

The lifestyle isn't to everyone's taste, but if you're pretty sure it's what you want then chances are you'll love it.

Especially in today's financial climate, I'd say go for it matey, the pay is pretty good once you're on the higher level and the benefits and cheap living make it relatively easy to own and run an

Good luck mate, if you have any other questions feel free to pm me

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mart are you based at HW? Guessing you're TG4..!

Shaggy, if you are after more info on the RAF then check out e-goat.co.uk; unofficial RAF forum.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers for the info everyone, the guy in the afco said the trade im after comes available in march so ive still got a while to get fit. I went for a jog today it nearly killed me
Sounds like its a great life once your in so fingers crossed i get accepted. Ill keep you all updated and pop on with questions if any arise. Thanks again.

·
Registered
115 Posts
QUOTE(B_H100 @ 14 Feb 2010, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mart are you based at HW? Guessing you're TG4..!

Shaggy, if you are after more info on the RAF then check out e-goat.co.uk; unofficial RAF forum.

I was gonna suggest this.

Where are we all based? I'm at Marham, and Mart is clearly at Strike (or Air, if you prefer) I don't suppose you know Brett Taylor, he lives in Craig court, works in Hurricane, big
, plays Lacrosse for Marham.

Matt.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
QUOTE(B_H100 @ 14 Feb 2010, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mart are you based at HW? Guessing you're TG4..!Shaggy, if you are after more info on the RAF then check out e-goat.co.uk; unofficial RAF forum.Yes on both accounts
possibly moving to Coningsby soon though
QUOTE(ferrarilover @ 19 Feb 2010, 12:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was gonna suggest this.Where are we all based? I'm at Marham, and Mart is clearly at Strike (or Air, if you prefer) I don't suppose you know Brett Taylor, he lives in Craig court, works in Hurricane, big
, plays Lacrosse for Marham.Matt.Yup I've seen him a couple of times, likes the sound of his own voice a bit though! Didn't like it when i said Lacrosse is for girls
QUOTE(tickleme @ 24 Feb 2010, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm at Marham tooKnow a few people from Marham (or ex-Marham people) Lee Kent, Dan Smith and Chris Rogers all TG4

·
Registered
115 Posts
QUOTE(Mart170 @ 24 Feb 2010, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes on both accounts
possibly moving to Coningsby soon though
Yup I've seen him a couple of times, likes the sound of his own voice a bit though! Didn't like it when i said Lacrosse is for girls
Know a few people from Marham (or ex-Marham people) Lee Kent, Dan Smith and Chris Rogers all TG4You could not be more right about Brett. Lovely lad, but he does take a bit of getting used to.QUOTE(tickleme @ 24 Feb 2010, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm at Marham tooAce, which of the PB STs is yours?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts