Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Recently purchased a 2015 MK3 ST which has the radio imaged at below link:
Current radio

I'm wondering if it is possible to get it upgraded to the more recent one as pictured at link below?
Radio I want to upgrade to

Is it just as simple as purchasing a second hand sync2 and swapping or are there additional wires etc... needed and programming needed?

Or am I better going for an aftermarket headunit?

Let me know if any other info is needed or if anyone knows someone who is able to help would be appreciated.

Cheers:)

MondeoSTOC Staff
If you are going to upgrade then why go to Sync 2 when you can go to Sync 3. As far as I can tell the amount of work is the same.

There are a few sites with all the info you need but the one I intend to follow is this one.

Sync 1 to Sync 3

Ali Express do the entire lot in an easy to follow kit pre programmed, I'm still toying with this route instead of the above.

You could go aftermarket, it's cheaper and easier, using something like this.

Rumours on the net are it's not that great, but you will have to research that further as it's not for me.

Premium Member
I upgraded from sync 2 to 3 and it's night and day, and even better after using Cyan labs to upgrade the sync 3 firmware! I would avoid sync 2 as it is terrible in comparison.

If you do go ahead with sync 3, i'd recommend getting an official used Fakra antenna for the Nav as the cheaper 3 party one i got takes 10 secs to become visible to the unit and it says Nav error unitl i OK it. It also throws a ghost code on Forscan. Still works and i've used it fine for nearly a year but if i were to sell it would be off putting. I think they go for 拢30 ish on ebay rather than 拢10 for a fake new one.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you are going to upgrade then why go to Sync 2 when you can go to Sync 3. As far as I can tell the amount of work is the same.

There are a few sites with all the info you need but the one I intend to follow is this one.

Sync 1 to Sync 3

Ali Express do the entire lot in an easy to follow kit pre programmed, I'm still toying with this route instead of the above.

You could go aftermarket, it's cheaper and easier, using something like this.

Rumours on the net are it's not that great, but you will have to research that further as it's not for me.
Appreciate this Neil. I've upgraded to an aftermarket headunit in an old car and definitely true.. They aren't great.

The first option definitely seems best.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts