Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting to get a decat for quite some time, but the thought of risking my insurance paying out if something to happen is putting me off..
I have looked into getting a race cat like pduk's 100 cpi one.. The question is will this increase the number of pops and bangs and backfiring?? Or will the noise be no different??

Also is it a complete waste of time to just get a race cat and not the downpipe or vice versa. Or is it possible to get just one of the two, if so which will give more power, and or noise?

Are the power gains from a race cat and or downpipe noticable what kind of increased bhp are we talking??

Sorry for all the questions- but need to know before i go and spend all my money

thanks

·
Registered
734 Posts
When i added my PDUK 100cpi sports cat to my standard cat back it made the exhaust tone sound deeper, with plenty of pop, bangs and growls at low revs. Sounded even better when i added a mongoose catback to it! The PDUK sports cat is top quality and money well spent!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeh the pduk race cat seems the best value.. the only issue is my budget wont extend to both downpipe AND race cat.. is it still worth buying a race cat on its own, will bhp rise and will pops and bangs increase even if im running a standard downpipe. Or if im only buying one is the downpipe a better investment will it increase noise and power more than a race cat on its own.. or is the answer its a waste of money buying only one of the two...?

cheers for the help

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Question is is the race cat worth it alone or a waste of money- will it make a difference noise and power wise? Or is the downpipe better value for money and noise? I can only afford one so trying to work out if which is better to get or if its not worth getting one without the other.....

·
Registered
734 Posts
Tough one mate, downpipe is cheaper of the two! If it was me, i'd wait awhile and save up to buy the two together. In the long run it will be cheaper as you can get them fitted at the same time. Its worth the sacrifice to wait and save up! Thats just my opinion though!

·
Registered
293 Posts
To answer your question It is worth fitting race cat alone I noticed a big difference expecially up the revs it pulled harder........Im not so convinced on the 3" downpipe I have compared it to the standard and there really isnt a big difference in my opinion......others like boostjunkie also share this opinion......and noise wise yes it does get louder but a nice loud......a de-cat sounds hidious do not go down that route as it is cheaper as you will regret it like I did

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and noise wise yes it does get louder but a nice loud......
cheers mate, when you say louder, is it noticeably louder, any more pops and bangs?

In terms of bhp anyone have any clues what a 100cpi race cat would add...??

cheers

·
Registered
714 Posts
It depends on what mods you are running but some people claim 7-10 bhp

At the end off the day less restriction in the exhaust system means the exhaust gases escape quicker which is a big benifit to a turbo engine

·
Registered
293 Posts
Few more pops and bangs and deeper note sounds just right........Id say on a mapped car a race CAT would probably give 15bhp over the standard one less restriction 100cpi vs 600 cpi

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cheers guys.. Car is running panel filter plus ecu spacer, airtec gen 3 intercooler, ds remap (running race + at the moment)..
So race cat should give me around 10bhp and better noise.. how much will the cars improvment be hindered by not having the downpipe too....??

Am i right in thinking the downpipe is pointless without the race cat, but the race cat not necessarily useless without the downpipe..

Pduk 100 cpi the best value for money do you guys reckon, anyone suggest any alternatives or better options or better still sell me theres second hand..

·
Captain Slow
16,274 Posts
QUOTE(hugo2631 @ 19 Feb 2010, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>PDUK are very good value for money! Quality item, well made!

can only agree
. I would PM Lee and see what he can do for you

The larger downpipe will allow the turbo to spool up a little quicker and it'll get rid of the heat from the turbo better

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(Simo @ 19 Feb 2010, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Save up and have them fitted as a pair mate

So do you think the race cat is not worth it without the downpipe?.. Im after noise and a bit of extra power you reckon 7-15 bhp?? How much extra do you think downpipe would add, im right in thinking the resitrictions in the cat are more severe than the downpipe.. i have heard some peoples views that the downpipe doesnt do too much...

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
The turbo spools up alot quicker and the ecu doesn't back off the power when it's hot. Even when I had the intercooler but standard downpipe the power would back off when the turbo got red hot. The downpipe eliminates this.

Get both done at the same time

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I had piper catback fitted to my decat and it was horrid ! way too loud so put standard cat back in then got downpipe fitted and it went quieter ! my opinion is if you want a bit more noise and power and can only afford one and dont want to wait to save up go for sports cat first then down pipe later.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cheers mate, i have pm'd Lee at pduk asking what the best price he can do the 100 cell race cat for is.. anyone know best price? I have seen at one point they were down to £287...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.