Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

just a quickie as per title,

we are having a new boiler fitted by British Gas in February we think we got a bargain at just £2,000 so all happy with that.

We are paying a deposit TODAY (30 December) of £200 and then we will pay the remainder when the job is done in February...my question is that will we get stung for the extra VAT on the remaining balance when we pay the remainder in February due to the VAT going up again?

My thoughts are that we wont because our quote is a fixed quote and that we are paying a deposit based on the price before the VAT increase.

Your thoughts please.

CIA

Nick

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
quotes are generally Excluding vat, i know all our prices at work are ex-vat and therefore any quotes done this month, will be subject to the new VAT applicable at time of invoice.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
To other companies quotes are excluding VAT. Morty will be the final customer so will pay the VAT.

I'd imagine the quote will include VAT. What does the actual quote say? If it includes VAT I think they will be bound to that price

Chris

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(morty1970 @ 30 Dec 2009, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi all,

just a quickie as per title,

we are having a new boiler fitted by British Gas in February we think we got a bargain at just £2,000 so all happy with that.

We are paying a deposit TODAY (30 December) of £200 and then we will pay the remainder when the job is done in February...my question is that will we get stung for the extra VAT on the remaining balance when we pay the remainder in February due to the VAT going up again?

My thoughts are that we wont because our quote is a fixed quote and that we are paying a deposit based on the price before the VAT increase.

Your thoughts please.

CIA

Nick

You will be stung with the extra VAT on the full amount probably. strictly speaking the tax point will be the day they supply fit and invoice

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
is the VAT given as a break down:

ie - labour, goods and fitting = £1000
VAT @ 15% = £150

Total = £1150

or does it just say something like:

Supply fit and install boiler £1150 inc vat.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
They have to charge the higher VAT what ever the quote said you will be stung for the extra 2.5% remember this goes to the government and there is nothing the company can do.

Hower it will only be an extra £50 on £2000 so I would not worry too much about it as long as they do the job right

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(Dennis @ 30 Dec 2009, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They have to charge the higher VAT what ever the quote said you will be stung for the extra 2.5% remember this goes to the government and there is nothing the company can do.

Hower it will only be an extra £50 on £2000 so I would not worry too much about it as long as they do the job right

cheers for all the input guys...I was going to pay the full amount today and avoid the extra VAT but Im going to stick with paying the deposit and then pay the outstanding amount on completion so Ive got some leverage should anything go wrong!

Cheers

Nick

·
Registered
379 Posts
Have you tried getting quotes from local plumbers? I work for a plumbers merchant and have heard bad stories about british gas engineers. Id never use them put it that way!

Obviously you do get dodgy local plumbers, but just becuase they are "british gas" it doesnt mean they do a proper job.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(Glenster @ 30 Dec 2009, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Have you tried getting quotes from local plumbers? I work for a plumbers merchant and have heard bad stories about british gas engineers. Id never use them put it that way!

Obviously you do get dodgy local plumbers, but just becuase they are "british gas" it doesnt mean they do a proper job.

We have tried local plumbers but TBH they are not coming out much cheaper...British Gas are quoting us £2100 and that includes boiler installation(Baxi boiler A rated),all pipe work and exterior guttering ect as its a condensing boiler,a power flush and re doing the electrics as ours is not up to modern standards.
We also get a years homecare which is worth 200 quid and a ten year gaurantee on the boiler so not to bad IMO,weve had homecare for years and TBH Ive never had any problems....touch wood

Thanks

Nick

·
Registered
379 Posts
QUOTE(morty1970 @ 30 Dec 2009, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We have tried local plumbers but TBH they are not coming out much cheaper...British Gas are quoting us £2100 and that includes boiler installation(Baxi boiler A rated),all pipe work and exterior guttering ect as its a condensing boiler,a power flush and re doing the electrics as ours is not up to modern standards.
We also get a years homecare which is worth 200 quid and a ten year gaurantee on the boiler so not to bad IMO,weve had homecare for years and TBH Ive never had any problems....touch wood

Thanks

Nick

sounds alright then to be fair! power flushes are a few hundred quid.

I suppose you only ever hear the bad things about places and never the good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts