Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok bit of background, last night leaving the carpark after the football, we were stuck in a very slow moving queue for about 40minutes. I noticed a very slight smell of what I think was burning clutch. This morning on the way to work I have the same slight smell and noticed clutch slip for the first time in 5/6th gears
. I really cant afford the RS clutch for a while yet. So a few questions....

1. Is the clutch still covered by my warranty?? My car is April 08 Facelift.
2. If it is covered, would Ford put in the RS one? Given that its cheaper?
3. Again, if covered, regards mods whats the crack? Same as usual, put Stock map back and take it to a hardware mod friendly dealer??
4. Once clutch slip has started will it always be there and get progressively worse?

I probably have a lot more questions.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Clutches are not covered under warranty as they are a wearable item(same as brake pads),
Put the stock map back on and it wont slip under normal use!

Mines slips too, I put standard map back on this morning and it doesn't slip.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(jim g @ 17 Feb 2010, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Clutches are not covered under warranty as they are a wearable item(same as brake pads),
Put the stock map back on and it wont slip under normal use!

Mines slips too, I put standard map back on this morning and it doesn't slip.

Not the answer that I was looking for but thanks anyway

Anyone else, particularly Q4

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
QUOTE(DaveCHCI @ 17 Feb 2010, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not the answer that I was looking for but thanks anyway

Anyone else, particularly Q4

Yes it will get worse if the performance map stays on your car

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I would say welcome to the Slipping clutch club, but as you know as of today i am part of the RS Clutch club
... All i an say is mine was slipping for about 3months before i just decided to change it. So you do not haver to replace is ASAP. and as long as your not caining it in the higher gears it will probably last longer. Mine was still drivable at the lower RPM(by that i mean getting from A2B). Try taking it back to stock map or even do what i am planning on doing(if i do not get Perf X or Mod X) and maybe trying to get a custom map with lower torque output to give the clutch a break. Custom maps seem a better option as it is more specific to you car and you can get a smother torque and power curve
(if done correctly of course)When it came to warranty i did not even bother asking ford. Wear and tear is one thing but once they took a look at the mods they would have never touched with a barge pole for warranty work
.P.S with regards to Q4...Yes. Mins just got worse, but i did not try putting the stock map on(i secretly wanted the RS clutch
)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I am still looking around for place to be honest. There is a company called elite(£300) who are supposed to be good, AMD essex(£450) they are a forum sponsor. It maybe a bit pricey short term but if it means the clutch has a normal lifespan then it will be a good investment.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
mines been slipping for 2 weeks or more and hasn't got any worse really. just slips same as day it started.

Ford won't do anything about it, plus wont be covered if went in with all your mod's on anyway.

Jut have start saving m8 like me and get a rs clutch

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Mine's been slipping for a year on and off. Some days it slips, some days it doesn't. It hasn't got any worse so I'm in no rush for an RS clutch

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(Simo @ 17 Feb 2010, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mine's been slipping for a year on and off. Some days it slips, some days it doesn't. It hasn't got any worse so I'm in no rush for an RS clutch

Yeah i seem to be noticing this already! Mine did NOT slip on the way home tonight and it got a good "testing". I'm sure I'll notice it again soon but it was a happier drive home.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(boost junkie @ 17 Feb 2010, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>mines been slipping for 2 weeks or more and hasn't got any worse really. just slips same as day it started.

Ford won't do anything about it, plus wont be covered if went in with all your mod's on anyway.

Jut have start saving m8 like me and get a rs clutch

Depends on the garage mate

I know a guy in my street who works at a dealer, he's noticed my car a few times and when I first got it he was telling me that he can get good service costs etc, same old

However when I had a chat with him a few months back he said that they dont care about mods unless that they can directly link the problem to the mods. That said the DS will have directly contributed to knackered clutch.

Its good to know if anything else goes though!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
yeh but would they put a RS clutch in?

Ive got m8 that works at bristol street, get stuff dead cheap. its handy having m8tz that work for ford lol

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Got my RS clutch fitted today. It is a lot different to the my old one. A lot heavier and feels really strong on bite. Hopefully it will stand the test of time.

If your clutch only slips sometimes then it is not worth it. mine was doing it all the time so i changed it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
QUOTE(boost junkie @ 17 Feb 2010, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yeh but would they put a RS clutch in?

Ive got m8 that works at bristol street, get stuff dead cheap. its handy having m8tz that work for ford lol

what can he get the rs clutch in at?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
answer to question 1 - Yes it is covered, mine was replaced on warrenty after the car was approx 18 months old.
only difference was mine was standard apart from Eibachs.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Unless the clutch has physically broken or you can prove it is below ford spec (i.e. faulty compound) then warrenty will not assist, also if thye know you have a map, whatever has happened they will say no

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(Dennis @ 18 Feb 2010, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Unless the clutch has physically broken or you can prove it is below ford spec (i.e. faulty compound) then warrenty will not assist, also if thye know you have a map, whatever has happened they will say no

Totally agreed, went to speak to the dude up the street last night and unless Ford HQ specifically ask they will not did down into the ECU & check if a map has been put on in the past, they will also not cover it unless it goes completely. My garage is very mod friendly but I'm guessing thats only because i know one of the service guys.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Only one answer to that then. Get it on a track thrash the clutch and get a RS one put in under warranty
If only it was that easy

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
QUOTE(Harmy2010 @ 18 Feb 2010, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Only one answer to that then. Get it on a track thrash the clutch and get a RS one put in under warranty
If only it was that easy

I know it was posted tongue in cheak but this woudl not brake the clutch but burn it ou/make it slip even more, but if it is already on its way out why not have some fun using up what is left

I recall when this first started happening, someone stripped a plate out and all the rivets had sheered, yet fraud still wouldn't cover it under warrenty

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
QUOTE(Dennis @ 18 Feb 2010, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I know it was posted tongue in cheak but this woudl not brake the clutch but burn it ou/make it slip even more, but if it is already on its way out why not have some fun using up what is left

I recall when this first started happening, someone stripped a plate out and all the rivets had sheered, yet fraud still wouldn't cover it under warrenty

It is just an excuse to have fun of what is left. I would have done a track day aswell but i had just changed my tyres when the slippage started getting worse. so I missed out

1 - 20 of 32 Posts