Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, I am a bit of a mong when it comes to re-mapping etc. I was not planning on making any changes to the car but having read it makes a big difference to the power I am considering it.

Can I confirm that if I have my car Mountuned then it will not effect my warranty compared to other re-maps??

Thanks in advance.

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
100% correct matey. mountune is ford approved and can be fitted at your local ford stealer. its a no brainer. it will make it a good car absolutely awesome!

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
just tell her its goin in for some warranty work and that should do it. although if she drives it after she will think someones stuck a rocket up the tailpipe

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
you wont believe the difference the mountune pack, or any stand alone remap will make on your st mate. although if it was me i would buy a dreamscience handset. you get 7 different maps and you can change them as you see fit, including when your car goes near the dealer! thus keeping your warranty intact!
you really should join up as an owner member mate, it would be the best ten quid you ever spent. you would get it back ten fold with all the discounts from the site sponsors.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'd really have to agree with stingy here mate.
A reamp makes a WORLD of difference.
A Mountune is 100% ford approved (once you are in the UK)
But a dreamscience is cheaper and you have choices and the ability to put it back to stock in 3 mins is a huge plus
I choose dreamscience myself.....

Oh and become an owner member - I can guarntee you will save money in the first 3 months

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Joined!

Right, Ill have to look into this DS then. So I can change the settings back to normal when I take her in for servicing etc?

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
QUOTE(Luton-Reza @ 3 Jan 2010, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Joined!

Right, Ill have to look into this DS then. So I can change the settings back to normal when I take her in for servicing etc?

its the way to go matey. welcome to the club by the way. think i read in some of the other threads that dream science hav offers on till the middle of jan.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
I've been mulling over the tuning choises too and i've desided to go with the mountune option. I know the dreamscience is cheap as chips and you get the different maps etc but too many people experienceing clutch slip for my likeing. Plus from the post i've read people comming from DS to mountune pretty much say that the mountune has the edge in terms of performance and how it delivers it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice all...........

What I worry is the difference in cost, I had a brief look on the DS site and they have them as cheap as 300 odd quid, Mountune is what? Over a grand?

Surely you pay for what you get??

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
QUOTE(Luton-Reza @ 3 Jan 2010, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the advice all...........

What I worry is the difference in cost, I had a brief look on the DS site and they have them as cheap as 300 odd quid, Mountune is what? Over a grand?

yeah mountune is £1096 + an hours labour (varies per dealer) but i just go a quote for £1253.00 fitted. I'm a firm believer you get what you pay for, its been tested to work withing the limits of the cars tollerances. An appart from warrenty the mountune is easier to insure as it shows up on the insurance systems as ST3-260 rather than having to declare it as a modification. On the flip side i'm not sure you'll see any return when its time to sell the car and once the kit is on its permanant.

If you deside on the dreamscience route i think a handset is about 500-600 quid (if you're a club member you get a small discount
) but i'd probablly opt for a second hand one as you can pick them up for about £300 ish. And of course you can return the car to standard when you want to sellt he car and flog the DS handset

hope that helps.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(Luton-Reza @ 3 Jan 2010, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the advice all...........

Up to a point yes you do! But with the DS unit you arent paying royalties to Ford, for a useless panel filter or for an intercooler so you you can see why theres a difference in price! The MT conversion is well loved by its devotees but so is the DS! Personally i went for the DS but to be fair that was before the MT was even dreamed of! Offered the choice today i would still go the DS way as i consider it the better option if you like to have some choices available! It also offers the option of further upgrades at a later date and the choice of selling it on seperately from the car!

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
QUOTE(Luton-Reza @ 3 Jan 2010, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is the DS something that a complete novice can do on the car?

What about this clutch slip?

yeah basically its a little handset and plugs into the port under the drivers footwell, very easy (from what ive heard). the clutch slip seems to affect some cars, especailly the 2007 models. have a search you'll see what i mean theres plenty of people running DS with no problems though. seems to be a bit of a lottery.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(Luton-Reza @ 3 Jan 2010, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is the DS something that a complete novice can do on the car?

What about this clutch slip?

Fitting the DS involves plugging it in then following the on screen instructions! Takes about 3 minutes and is totally idiot proof! Clutch slip is a bit of a lottery but mainly affects 07 MY cars! To be fair to DS this issue has also affected cars using ALL the available remaps including the Mountune!

ps Mine is an 07MY and wasnt affected by the clutch slip issue despite having had the DS on it since 2500 miles and having now covered 45000! I have however now changed to an RS clutch as it had the Quaife diff fitted which involves taking the clutch off anyway!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts