Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What gives me more wiggle room for a second hand car from a dealer buying in cash or part exchanging. I instantly thought cash but then i was thinking if i traded in my car the dealer can sell it on at a profit and would perhaps get me a better deal. Anyone have any experience of this?

Cheers

Joe

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Depends what the p/x is. If it's something the dealer thinks he can turn over quickly and make a profit on, you'll get a better deal. Alternatively if he thinks the car will sit on the forecourt for 3 months, he won't give you a such a good price. They also have to provide warranties etc with p/x cars, so buying them always transfers risk to the dealer.

The ability to make a cash deal can often be enough to clinch an offer as the money's right there and no hassle for the dealer.

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,194 Posts
Gav is right - it depends on the individual circumstances especially with the car you are interested in buying and how long they have had it.

When my Son bought his ST3 he got well over book price for his Clio Cup trade-in and £500 off the ticket price of the ST as the dealership had a customer waiting for one and they are relatively rare.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(Dabhand16 @ 28 Feb 2010, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Gav is right - it depends on the individual circumstances especially with the car you are interested in buying and how long they have had it.

When my Son bought his ST3 he got well over book price for his Clio Cup trade-in and £500 off the ticket price of the ST as the dealership had a customer waiting for one and they are relatively rare.

I have a 58 plate vauxhall astra 1.8 vvt sri with exterior pack. Prob the best astra barr the vxr and poss the 1.9 diesel version. The car still has 18 months of warranty and is in great condition with 16000 miles on the clock. Another local dealer has offered me £8500 cash for it. Will offer as part of the negotiation when i go down o the dealer in 30 mins or so..love haggling for a new car lol

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Worth seeing what you might get for it as a private sale, although that in itself brings hassle for you. Have a look on http://www.webuyanycar.com as they're actually pretty fair with their pricing in most cases and see whether you'll get a better deal from them. They'll collect your car and give you the cash. If it's more than £9.5k for example, don't let the dealer give you £8.5k for it (or use webuyanycar's price to increase the dealer's p/x offer).

I love haggling and negotiating too, it's part of my job. The key thing to remember when buying anything is that if your first offer doesn't embarrass you, it's not low enough!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
" if your first offer doesn't embarrass you, it's not low enough! "

I think that will be my haggling mantra from now on lol. Love it!

Joe

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
QUOTE(dodef @ 28 Feb 2010, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>" if your first offer doesn't embarrass you, it's not low enough! "

I think that will be my haggling mantra from now on lol. Love it!

Joe
It's why I offered £20k under asking price for my flat (in a rising market) and got it for £14k under. I only moved up £6k, and this was on a flat on the market for £160k.. You can always raise your offer, but you can't decrease it..

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
QUOTE(mrmadmatt @ 28 Feb 2010, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This may cause mayhem but if from a ford main dealer a partex suits them better

Actually, getting you on finance suits them better...!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts