Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the k&n induction kit on my car, while it isn't the worst kit , it isn't the best either, i saw a video on youtube of the pumaspeed induction kit, it sounds amazing, and looks like what they have done is far better than the dreamscience cais which restricts itself, does anybody have it on their cars? and if so how does it compare ? thanks

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
I have it on my car, I had the DS induction kit before the Pumaspeed version. I was given the Pumaspeed version for testing and decided I preferred it to the DS kit.

The main reason I prefer it is that it is less restricted than the DS version, the pipe at the back of the engine where the DS kit links in to the existing pipe work has been removed and replaced with a wider smoother silicone hose which gives a better airflow into the engine.
I have the standard pipe from Ford which has been removed in my shed so I've seen inside how badly designed it actually is.

The other thing I would say is that I honk the Pumaspeed kit is mounted better than the DS kit as it uses the same Induction pipe supports as the Focus RS rather than the single bracket of the DS kit.

The Pumaspeed kit is still made in small numbers currently, I was told they make 5 at a time at the moment and they tend to sell as soon as they are made as they do a big export business to Australia. Some people don't like the way the top pipe looks as you can see the welds, personally I don't care as the pipe is smooth inside where it counts and my car is made to be driven not to show the engine bay but I know Pumaspeed can get the top pipe coated for an extra cost.

All the above said the Dreamscience kit is very good also and had I not tried the Pumaspeed kit I would still be happily using the DS kit which is still one of the best out there, the Pumaspeed one just edges it for me but some people will prefer the look of the DS kit.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
I don't think it does personally, as per my earlier post I think the restriction is where it joins on to the standard part. Not sure if that was directed at me though?
No it was in the original post James? I was just trying to remember if there was any restriction but couldnt think of one? We ran our DS kit with a full silicone hose kit so there was no problems where it joined the turbo either?

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
I'd like to know this as well. And doesn't the DS ind kit have 2 brackets securing it in place?
It does, one on each pipe.
The Pumaspeed has three mounts on the top pipe alone which secure to the top of the block the same as the RS pipe. The Dreamscience bracket secures on the side of the block for the top pipe.
I never had an issue with the way the DS kit was secured either.

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
No it was in the original post James? I was just trying to remember if there was any restriction but couldnt think of one? We ran our DS kit with a full silicone hose kit so there was no problems where it joined the turbo either?
Got you mate. It's where the top pipe goes into the turbo, ordinarily the DS kit bolts onto the standard pipe Ford have on there into the turbo which narrows on the bend in the middle of it. where as the Pumaspeed kit replaces that with a silicone pipe.
I guess if you had a silicone pipe going in there anyway it would be the same.

·
Registered
629 Posts
It does, one on each pipe.
The Pumaspeed has three mounts on the top pipe alone which secure to the top of the block the same as the RS pipe. The Dreamscience bracket secures on the side of the block for the top pipe.
I never had an issue with the way the DS kit was secured either.
Ah I see now. I thought you meant there was only one bracket holding the whole thing.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
Got you mate. It's where the top pipe goes into the turbo, ordinarily the DS kit bolts onto the standard pipe Ford have on there into the turbo where as the Pumaspeed kit replaces that with a silicone pipe.
I guess if you had a silicone pipe going in there anyway it would be the same.
To be honest i thought the DS kit came with a silicone hose for there anyway but i must have dreamed that lol! We had full Samco hose kits fitted for boost and coolant not long after getting the car so have been spoilt!

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
To be honest i thought the DS kit came with a silicone hose for there anyway but i must have dreamed that lol! We had full Samco hose kits fitted for boost and coolant not long after getting the car so have been spoilt!
Comes with two silicone hoses mate, one each side of the MAF.

·
Registered
125 Posts
you sed u wanted one that was off the ground tho chris because of the floods were havin ? Get a BMC one like mine ? or the CDA ? And just get a code red top pipe or something ?

·
Dreamscience Flash
2,446 Posts
Guys the reducer section at the end of our top pipe which goes into the oem rubber turbo inlet is called a Venturi this is designed to help accelerate the air into the turbo. By removing this and keeping the size bigger at 76mm it WILL be less efficient, ask Boeing who designed the Venturi technology. Thus illustrating the ignorant theory of bigger is better, our kit was designed by two people with phd,s in physics and its no coincidence our kit always makes the power. I would say a tuned kit is better than simply making something bigger. Lol

·
Dreamscience Flash
2,446 Posts
Oh yes the std turbo inlet pipe is re enforced with inner rings from factory and we never change this even on stage 4 St, or rs mk2 etc the silicon pipes we have seen collapse on people's cars when hot or sucking very hard which can cause problems do we don't use them here. The stock ones are best.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts