Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Jason SB MK3 RS MAXD 400
3,549 Posts
I always used Bluefin on my MK3 ST and I loved it but when I bought the RS had the Bluefin handset reset and loaded it on the RS but was not impressed hardly any difference from standard.

So was recommended to try the Pumaspeed MAXD 400 and all I can say is it's superb like night and day compared to standard and keeps pace with DS Ultima 3 which is stage 2 and MAXD 400 is stage 1R.

Not sure if the MK3 ST is the same.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I have the RS airbox, full 3" exhaust and map. That's all. The standard i/c on the mk3.5 is the same as a Mk2 RS so is perfectly good for 310 bhp. Oh plus I have the engine/gearbox torque mount to firm things up a bit!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am running the Maxd stage 1 on my ST estate.

The map itself is quite good. Around town driving isn't too much improved (you can hear more intake noise, I am running an opended air filter as per the RS), but the response is a little better. Out on an open road you can tell the difference, it pulls that bit more. As with most maps the harder you use it the more you notice the difference.

However, I had a problem with the throttle when pulling away. Basically when I pulled off and only needed a tiny amount of throttle it wouldn't like it, I would have to raise the revs more than necessary.

Pumaspeed sent a revised map which didn't improve the problem, so ended up having to get the car data logged to prove there was a throttle 'jump'. in the end they did provide a map that worked better, but has never been perfect. (obviously they claim thay have never heard of such an issue, but the data log proved it)

As this was an issue with the map I requested some compensation for the cost of data logging, after hounding them as they didn't respond to me, they eventually did reimpurse part of the data log costs (probably just make me go away!).

·
Registered
382 Posts
I am running the Maxd stage 1 on my ST estate.

The map itself is quite good. Around town driving isn't too much improved (you can hear more intake noise, I am running an opended air filter as per the RS), but the response is a little better. Out on an open road you can tell the difference, it pulls that bit more. As with most maps the harder you use it the more you notice the difference.

However, I had a problem with the throttle when pulling away. Basically when I pulled off and only needed a tiny amount of throttle it wouldn't like it, I would have to raise the revs more than necessary.

Pumaspeed sent a revised map which didn't improve the problem, so ended up having to get the car data logged to prove there was a throttle 'jump'. in the end they did provide a map that worked better, but has never been perfect. (obviously they claim thay have never heard of such an issue, but the data log proved it)

As this was an issue with the map I requested some compensation for the cost of data logging, after hounding them as they didn't respond to me, they eventually did reimpurse part of the data log costs (probably just make me go away!).
I mean by the sounds of it you have had a bad experience, i dont know weather to go for this map or not now. Do you know of any off the shevles maps that are decent?

Chrisjd had the same issue give or take, also had the same problem getting refund. Personal opinion but i wouldnt use tbh
what was your issues?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I took myn to get dyno tested as yes the power felt better had bit of a miss under load. But wanted print out to prove what i was supposed to be getting. I was running stage 2. But when i recieved dyno printout i was actually running less than standard bhp but a lot more torque. So i went for a custom map where i had it dynod with mass amounts off different,car drove completly different. A lot of people rave about collins and bluefin i suppose its the map u get. Apparently puma speed havnt seen my ecu before. Its one of those u might have a good one never no. I wouldnt realy of known, until i got it dynod
p.s dont realy want to slate them as others might/could of had a good experience with them in my case it wasnt at all

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took myn to get dyno tested as yes the power felt better had bit of a miss under load. But wanted print out to prove what i was supposed to be getting. I was running stage 2. But when i recieved dyno printout i was actually running less than standard bhp but a lot more torque. So i went for a custom map where i had it dynod with mass amounts off different,car drove completly different. A lot of people rave about collins and bluefin i suppose its the map u get. Apparently puma speed havnt seen my ecu before. Its one of those u might have a good one never no. I wouldnt realy of known, until i got it dynod
p.s dont realy want to slate them as others might/could of had a good experience with them in my case it wasnt at all
thanks maybe ill go for bluefin then, if the only two people that have comments are having a bad experience its probably best i find another map. Im going to do somemore research but for stage 1 i think maybe ill go for bluefin

·
Registered
Jason SB MK3 RS MAXD 400
3,549 Posts
thanks maybe ill go for bluefin then, if the only two people that have comments are having a bad experience its probably best i find another map. Im going to do somemore research but for stage 1 i think maybe ill go for bluefin
But you will always find negativity attracts more attention people are always more inclined to post negatives rather than positives.

·
Registered
382 Posts
But you will always find negativity attracts more attention people are always more inclined to post negatives rather than positives.
true, iv read a 20 odd page forum with you having issues with bluefin and thats what made me look for other options. Originally the plan was to go with bluefin as friend has it on his mk2 st and it was great. I know you know your stuff, so which stage 1 map would you suggest? bluefin still a good and safe option? I know you mentioned your first ever map was fine before you took it off and loaded it on again? Cheers

·
Registered
Jason SB MK3 RS MAXD 400
3,549 Posts
true, iv read a 20 odd page forum with you having issues with bluefin and thats what made me look for other options. Originally the plan was to go with bluefin as friend has it on his mk2 st and it was great. I know you know your stuff, so which stage 1 map would you suggest? bluefin still a good and safe option? I know you mentioned your first ever map was fine before you took it off and loaded it on again? Cheers
I loved Bluefin on both my MK2's and it was great on both MK3's as I was running their more aggressive map but a lot were complaining they wanted more driveability so they released a new map which I loaded and that's when the problems started. The other thing to take into account aswell is that when Covid-19 started Superchips went into liquidation and then a couple of months later they were back up and running so not sure who took them over.

I see you are based in the North East have you thought of contacting Pumaspeed to see if they could custom map it for you rather than an off the shelf map ?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I loved Bluefin on both my MK2's and it was great on both MK3's as I was running their more aggressive map but a lot were complaining they wanted more driveability so they released a new map which I loaded and that's when the problems started. The other thing to take into account aswell is that when Covid-19 started Superchips went into liquidation and then a couple of months later they were back up and running so not sure who took them over.

I see you are based in the North East have you thought of contacting Pumaspeed to see if they could custom map it for you rather than an off the shelf map ?
I just got my st3 its an 18 plate so it only being a month old im still under warrenty so would like so a custom map isnt really an option right now. Is the reviced bluefin remap any good? dispite your bad experience with it?

·
Registered
Jason SB MK3 RS MAXD 400
3,549 Posts
I just got my st3 its an 18 plate so it only being a month old im still under warrenty so would like so a custom map isnt really an option right now. Is the reviced bluefin remap any good? dispite your bad experience with it?
That's fair comment.

The revised map was still good so brought the car alive compared to standard but suffered with rev hang on mine but that wasn't a problem with all MK3's

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's fair comment.

The revised map was still good so brought the car alive compared to standard but suffered with rev hang on mine but that wasn't a problem with all MK3
Thanks, would you suggest an uprated bov (e.g mountune or turbosmart) or intercooler for stage 1 bluefin or any other mods? How is the stock intercooler on the mk3? Right now i just a k&n filter only.

·
Registered
Jason SB MK3 RS MAXD 400
3,549 Posts
Thanks, would you suggest an uprated bov (e.g mountune or turbosmart) or intercooler for stage 1 bluefin or any other mods? How is the stock intercooler on the mk3? Right now i just a k&n filter only.
The stock intercooler in the MK3 is the same as the MK2 RS so is good for 300 bhp the main problem in the MK3 is exhaust gas temps as the manifold is cast into the head so a sports cat and downpipe would be help that.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The stock intercooler in the MK3 is the same as the MK2 RS so is good for 300 bhp the main problem in the MK3 is exhaust gas temps as the manifold is cast into the head so a sports cat and downpipe would be help that.
Thanks mate i really appreciate it, ill try do the re-circ valve as iv heard the standard one can crack with a tune and ill keep the K&n and see how i get on. Ill keep the stock cooler for now and see if i suffer from heat soak with my driving style. Think ill go with bluefin then. Hopefully issue free.

·
Registered
Jason SB MK3 RS MAXD 400
3,549 Posts
Thanks mate i really appreciate it, ill try do the re-circ valve as iv heard the standard one can crack with a tune and ill keep the K&n and see how i get on. Ill keep the stock cooler for now and see if i suffer from heat soak with my driving style. Think ill go with bluefin then. Hopefully issue free.
Superchips used to offer a 14 day money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with it

1 - 20 of 29 Posts