Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Noticed recently after changing all 4 tyres that when cruising at c.70mph - dabbing a bit of throttle pulls the car left, and lifting off it feels like it pulls left.

Had alignment checked twice and all good, and its not torque steer as it doesnt do it low down - and Im not that heavy a foot!

Any ideas? 😫 Im worried its differential related...

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,854 Posts
If it only occurred after changing the tyres then that's the first place to look.

Assuming for the moment they are quality tyres, have they been fitted the correct way round on the rim?

·
Premium Member
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
1,773 Posts
Id also be concerned if you are putting you foot down in top gear, without changing down a cog or two, that is how lspi happens in the ecoboost engine and destroys your pistons. Have you tried using Sport mode? This helps to illuminate the torque vectoring taking some of the steering over.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,408 Posts
Id also be concerned if you are putting you foot down in top gear, without changing down a cog or two, that is how lspi happens in the ecoboost engine and destroys your pistons. Have you tried using Sport mode? This helps to illuminate the torque vectoring taking some of the steering over.
Actually it limits the traction control so it doesn't try to brake a wheel it thinks is slipping, which causes the 'torque steer effect' on PFL Mk3s, it doesn't affect the FL nearly as much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all

Cheers for the input - fitted PS4s on all corners. All are fitted correctly and aligned! Its not heavy load Im putting down, just simply going from 70-75? And simply lifting off again it pulls to the left.

Ill check in sport mode and see if that makes a difference!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I’m honest I’m not sure, how would I check? I’ve read that you should reset the PDC when you have your wheels realigned, so did think it could be that?

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,408 Posts
PDC = Pull Drift Compensation. You have to go to a dealer to have it turned off. It was quite intrusive on my PFL so I had it turned off, on my FL I didn't notice it at all. I did hear that it wasn't turned on for the FL models but not sure if that's correct.

If you can make it do it every time then I would get in touch with a dealer to see if they can diagnose it.

·
Premium Member
2016 ST-3 2.0 EcoBoost 250PS Stealth
208 Posts
I had PDC turned off by the dealer on my FL, Build Date 17.03.2016. It is my understanding that PDC was not turned on for cars manufactured some time after this date.

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
Sounds like a Possible lower ball joint to me from what you describe ....it might just be a coincidence it's now slightly worse than before you changed your tyres ..New tread and slightly raised higher ..sounds silly but could be

1 - 17 of 17 Posts