Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey - just after a bit of help. The car only started doing this earlier in the week. You can see my mods from my signature. When starting the car up (sometimes first time starting it on a morning and sometimes when I've just been out in it) it doesnt turn over and I get reduced acceleration message and there is no power there whatsoever. If I turn the ignition off and try again it usually starts fine.

I've had limp mode before, but not when starting up. All the induction kit seals are fine too.

Anyone got a clue?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
They are some of the symptoms i got when my engine died although mine wouldnt come out of limp mode. Hopefully its just the battery as Phil says nut i would check to see if your engine coolant is still good, mine was drinking it, 2 litres a mile
. The symtoms i got when the engine went were no warm air from the heaters, drinking water, exhaust fumes from the header tank, mayo on the oil cap, limp mode, loss of power and a very unhealthy sounding engine. Fingers crossed yours is a simple fix. Do you have a way to read the fault codes as that may give a good indication as to what the problem may be.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Shaggy - that sounds worrying. Thankfully I have none of the other symptoms.

I have a dreamscience handset. Can I use that to read the codes? If so, how do I do it?

Cheers.

p.s supposed to be going to Whitby tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
If you dont have any of the other symptoms then i reckon your engine is fine and would check the battery as phil suggested. If i remember correctly i think to read the codes you plug it in and click on 'check DTC' or something like that. Ill go out and have a look when i get a chance and try it on mine.

EDIT: I was going on the Whitby run myself but arent now due to no cash left, I had the RS clutch and flywheel fitted this week so im skint lol.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just been out and checked the DTC codes. None recorded. Also, using the test menu on the LCD screen on the dashboard, I checked the battery voltage which is currently at 12.3 (not sure if that means anything). Finally, I took the KAM fuse out for 15 mins then took it for a quick run.

Felt great and fresh. Didn't have a problem starting it, but as I say, it's been intermittent anyway.

Better take my AA card to Whitby tomorrow!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, well I've had the alternator replaced once already. Hopefully, just a simple battery change will be the remedy. Unless of course the problem never rears its head again.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey. Update on this. Still happening. Had it into a garage that said it could be the starter motor, but they didnt want to change it just in case it wasnt definitely that. They also thought it might be the battery, but they didnt want to change it, again just in case that wasnt the problem. So they said just see how it develops. Unfortunately it seems to be getting worse. The wife was stuck at a petrol pump for 15 mins this morning, but it wouldnt even turn over this time. Its as if the battery is completely flat. Then all of a sudden it just sparks to life.

Really need help to know what to do next and i dont really want to spend money on doing something that might not resolve it

cheers.

Ps the garage couldnt replicate the problem when i took it in because its so random.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.