Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just had the front n/s spring fitted as the car was sitting lop sided and upon inspection it was found the spring had gone. I picked the car up today and its still the same, still sits lop sided and is pulling to the left still. The mechanic is a friend who's done all my cars and hes told my dad that it needs a bit of time to even out but surely being a new spring it would be a bit stiffer and sit higher on that side if anything? Im not mechanically minded so might be talking out my anus lol but when I put my fingers between the tyres and arch its definitely lower on the n/s still. Any ideas what it could be or why its still the same?

Cheers

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's what I thought but its still drooping on that side . Any ideas? Its also pulling quite alot to that side.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Im taking back to him tomorrow to have another look. Just problem after problem with this car. Be glad when it goes. Dont think ive had so much bad luck with a car in less then a year

How much do new shocks cost?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I believe they are both standard ones. Il mention that tomorrow and maybe get the other one done befire I go down the shocks route.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I had something similar on my old fiesta but on the drivers side, after replacing both springs, bottom arms, bushes I eventually found out that the damper on the drivers side had been bent from hitting a pothole (I can remember the damn pothole to on the A9 coming back from Dundee) but you could only see it when the gaiter was pushed off of the shock so it might also be worth checking this out! Depending on how many miles its been the way it is, if it is the problem I describe you will have very uneven tyre wear as well!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I had a problem like this on another car, I fitted just the faulty one and it sat really queer, so i ordered one for the other side and it sorted it

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Only been about 500 miles if that. Just put new tyres aswell so shouldnt be too bad. Il order another one . Hopefully that will sort it.

·
Registered
Mk2 RS 400
4,188 Posts
Can only be the damper, spring or bottom arm that could cause such a difference, get them all checked out as I'm sure you'll find the issue quickly. As said springs should be replaced in pairs as should dampers.

Also check that the top mount and damper are fitted correctly, especially the damper in to the knuckle as that could be sitting too high as it may not have been put in to the knuckle correctly (with the tab at the back in to the slot).

If is appears ok, then check the other side which may be too high/low and incorrect.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I doubt it will be the damper as it does not provide any support for the car, it just acts as a cushion to stop the car bouncing up and down all the time. I reckon the problem is with the mis-matched springs. As said above, I'd only suspect the damper if it had been damaged and has siezed, but whoever changed the spring would have noticed that!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The mechanic has said the dampers definitely are not leaking so thinks it might be the spring being mis aligned. Going to order exactly the same spring for the o/s and we'll see where we go from there. Problem is I cant do it until next monday. Car will be ok use wont it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts