Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

was out in the car tonight with my two kids when i started to have problems with my car
first of the ESP and ABS lights came on then the steering went really stiff and then all other light on the dash came on
it then came up with a message saying power steering failed also the speedo stopped working then the stereo went off,lights werent working no indicators basically everything wasnt working as it should
got the car to my sisters house and turned it off and now it wont start anyone know what it might be???

thanks

·
Registered
662 Posts
QUOTE(MatST-3 @ 22 Jan 2010, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi all,

was out in the car tonight with my two kids when i started to have problems with my car
first of the ESP and ABS lights came on then the steering went really stiff and then all other light on the dash came on
it then came up with a message saying power steering failed also the speedo stopped working then the stereo went off,lights werent working no indicators basically everything wasnt working as it should
got the car to my sisters house and turned it off and now it wont start anyone know what it might be???

thanks

Battery / alternator issue ?!?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
alternator stop charging the battery and all the powers gone from the battery because, 1) no charge, 2) the lights,radio.ect ect draned it
thats what it sounds like to me

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
thanks for the quick replys when i first got in the car there was like a wineing noise coming from the car would that indicate the alternator going?
its was quite a scary experience as the car felt like it was just dieing on me and i had the kids in the car aswell and nothing was working and i was on a dark country road scary just thinking of what could have happened if it had packed up compleatly

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,446 Posts
QUOTE(MatST-3 @ 22 Jan 2010, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thanks for the quick replys when i first got in the car there was like a wineing noise coming from the car would that indicate the alternator going?
yes. it can be one of the signs of iminent alt failure mate.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
QUOTE(MatST-3 @ 22 Jan 2010, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thanks for the quick replys when i first got in the car there was like a wineing noise coming from the car would that indicate the alternator going?
its was quite a scary experience as the car felt like it was just dieing on me and i had the kids in the car aswell and nothing was working and i was on a dark country road scary just thinking of what could have happened if it had packed up compleatly

you dont nomaly hear a noise from the alternater before it goes, unless the fan belt snaped a got caught, know that to happen before not on the
many other cars though, had it happen to me loads off times in my old motors mate ,it put to much drain on it cos of the sounds in them and kept on killing standard alternators.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
QUOTE(MatST-3 @ 22 Jan 2010, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>bet this is goin to be expensive
so should i go for a new alternator or try a new battery first?
charge the battery if it wont take a charge you know its :censored:ed once its charged you need to test the alternator make sure its pushing out 13+volts and if it ant then you know the alternator is :censored:ed

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
QUOTE(MatST-3 @ 22 Jan 2010, 01:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>how much is a new alternator?? can u get a recon 1? or should u just get a new 1?

thanks for all the replys really helps

recon are alot cheaper, the place i get my recon 1s are guranteed for a year, not to sure how long ford or else where guarantee them for but sod paying fords price for an alternator £140-180 i reacon not sure though

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(kevin @ 22 Jan 2010, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>recon are alot cheaper, the place i get my recon 1s are guranteed for a year, not to sure how long ford or else where guarantee them for but sod paying fords price for an alternator £140-180 i reacon not sure though

how much should would i be looking at to get a recon 1 or secondhand1?? where did u get ures from?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
QUOTE(MatST-3 @ 22 Jan 2010, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>how much should would i be looking at to get a recon 1 or secondhand1?? where did u get ures from?
i get mine trade mate 45 quid recon thats also the same price if its more powerful 1 eg more than 13+ volts maybe 14-15 volts
theres no point me deailing with second hand at that price also you never know with things like alternators being second hand

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
It does sound as though your alternator has packed up mate. If you can, charge the battery start the car and if you have access to a multimeter you should be getting 14.4 volts across the battery. If you only have 12 then the alternator has gone.
A new alternator from ford will set you back £189 inc the vat. Include fitting(2hrs) and your looking at a total of £305.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE(choccymonster @ 22 Jan 2010, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Could the alternator not have been damaged when the car was stolen?

well this is what i have been thinking but wouldnt they just say that it is down to wear and tear?? and that it wouldnt have been damaged when it was stolen?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.