Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, has anyone had problems with their st3 seats?

The drivers seat seems to collapsed! It dips to the back left, the runners are fine and i've had a play with the seat adjusters but nothing seems to help.

Thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,195 Posts
Hi, has anyone had problems with their st3 seats?

The drivers seat seems to collapsed! It dips to the back left, the runners are fine and i've had a play with the seat adjusters but nothing seems to help.

Thanks for any info.
This happened to me. There is some sort of cross member that will have to be replaced.

There is lots of info on this and other problems in the Owner Members Section.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
If you search 'seat cross tube' or 'broken seat' that should get you on your way.

Happened to mine too but i spotted it before it completely broke.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies.

Just got back from the local dealership and he's spotted some kind fo crack on the frame!

£420 for a new one, balls! There goes starting modifications next month!

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
Thanks for your replies.

Just got back from the local dealership and he's spotted some kind fo crack on the frame!

can you not get it welded mate?

if it was me i would definatley be trying a repair before forking out £420.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Thanks for your replies.

How old is your ST?

Mine was fixed under warranty last year - I'd be badgering Ford Customer Services about it as it's a known fault, covered with a dealer Technical Service Bulletin, a safety item etc.

So either get it paid for by Fords or last resort shop around to other dealers, £420 is taking the mickey.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies.

The fella at the garage said welding was an option, but it would mean taking the seat out and trying to protect the leather during welding.

While i was there he rang up to see if the seat bases were in stock, there were. He said that normally if they have items in stock it could mean it is a fairly common fault!

Thanks again.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
It's not the seat base as such which cracks but the cross-tube running across the back of it. There is info on here of the dealer TSB on how to fix it, plus some members have done theirs themselves. Search box has lots of info on this topic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah i know it's the cross tubing and not the base, but you cant buy just the tubes you have to buy the full base!

I'll have a search but normally the right topic doesn't come up, i must be doing something wrong.

Thanks for your time

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Yeah i know it's the cross tubing and not the base, but you cant buy just the tubes you have to buy the full base!

I'll have a search but normally the right topic doesn't come up, i must be doing something wrong.

Thanks for your time
The cross tube is definitely available on it's own mate - FINIS number 1485826, referred to in TSB 27/2007

You're being fed some duff info there i feel.

Search creaking drivers seat or similar.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Troy for your help, i'm going to get in touch with Ford and ask for that part!

I might also draft a letter to Ford to let them know about this faulty part. I can't understand if this is a common problem why cars haven't been called back.

I was thinking, if anybody has an accident (touch wood they don't) after welding this part where would they stand with insurace and claiming if they were injured?

After all insurance companies will do anything not to pay out!

·
Vendor
2,676 Posts
We can fix it for you - we have done quite a few (we did one today) - We charge £65.00 for the repair - we are only done the road from you.

Pm me for more information

1 - 12 of 12 Posts