Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Captain Slow
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Be interesting to see how it performs as they state they have made the core thinner than the standard one!

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
The ST/RS one I had on my ST used a thinner core than standard. Heat transfer is a funny thing, just using a massive core doesnt necessarily guarantee you good cooling, as the movement of the hot air inside the core effects the heat transfer coefficients. The heat has to be transferred from the hot air, to the metal wall of the intercooler, through the tube wall, ito the fins, and then from the fin surface to the ambient air.
A thinner core also gives a lower restriction for the ambient air flow through the cooler, so enhancing the fin side heat transfer....

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:64198]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:64200]

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The ST/RS one I had on my ST used a thinner core than standard. Heat transfer is a funny thing, just using a massive core doesnt necessarily guarantee you good cooling, as the movement of the hot air inside the core effects the heat transfer coefficients. The heat has to be transferred from the hot air, to the metal wall of the intercooler, through the tube wall, ito the fins, and then from the fin surface to the ambient air.
A thinner core also gives a lower restriction for the ambient air flow through the cooler, so enhancing the fin side heat transfer....
Hmmm...I've seen that cooler somewhere before. Can't quite recall where though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts