Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right chaps. I'm looking to get a pressure washer to make cleaning Stella a little easier on the old back, as it's a bit knackered. I'm not asking 'which pressure washer is best', although any suggestions are welcome - I was going to go for a cheap end K'Archer.

Anyhow - I am going to run it from my outside tap. This tap I fitted myself, using a DIY kit which essentially just screws into and clamps around your cold water feed. It has a non return valve built into it, which means the pressure from this tap isn't what it would be if was a straight through pipe (decatted as it were). I can run the hose from it, and while I get more than a drip it's not as strong as it could be.

My questions is this - will a pressure washer need full on water pressure to work properly or will it run OK from my somewhat restricted tap? I don't want to end up spending dosh on a washer and hooking it up only for it to burn out or something because it can't get the water from the tap quick enough.

Your advice is much appreciated

·
Registered
135 Posts
I use a similar setup, although mine goes through a washing machine tap thing (so I can turn it off in winter) and it seems to work well, it is only a small one though (£98 from Tesco) possibly this one (http://www.tesco.com/direct/karcher-k2395t50-pressure-washer/213-1661.prd) or something similar.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, mine has a tap too which helps to prevent the local window cleaners making a pit stop at my house (
!). I'm considering getting this washer, it's on offer at Screwfix at the moment and all the reviews seem very positive. Going by what you have it looks like it might be OK, as a washing machine feed would have the same kind of valve if I'm not mistaken

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm not really sure what your valve is, but yeah they're probably similar. I don't think you need that much flow for a small pressure washer anyway. Looks like that one comes with a snow foam lance

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
Looks like it, and I just found it £10 cheaper at Argos
The valve mine has is a non return valve, so water can't go back up the tap and into the mains supply. It restricts the flow outwards too as a result.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yep I know what you mean now, (was trying to do to many things at once lol). Will that one work off a water butt?? I know most Karchers do.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep I know what you mean now, (was trying to do to many things at once lol). Will that one work off a water butt?? I know most Karchers do.
Don't know tbh. I don't have a water butt though lol - although I do have a butt pump (fnar), I use it for emptying the hot tub when I put it away for winter.

·
Registered
135 Posts
lol. Thinking out loud here: If you're not getting enough flow and it works of a water butt you could use a hose to keep the the water butt topped up, obviously you might have to pause every so often to allow it to refill.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After quite a lot of searching I've just found my answer - you shouldn't run a pressure washer off of a DIY self-cutting tap kit, which is what I've got. The problem is not with the double check valve but with the bore of the bit that cuts into the original pipework - it's a lot less than normal 15mm pipes. It actually looks like it might void the warranty on the washer. I'll still go and get the washer while it's on offer, but won't be able to use it until I get the tap sorted

·
Registered
135 Posts
Should only be a 10 minute job to sort out pipe work. It took me about an hour to fit the whole lot, and most of yours is already in place.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm a far from confident plumber, it took me hours to fit the DIY kit without it dripping. I'll need to get a man to sort it for me. In the meantime I have found a Hozelock connector that screws into the mixer tap in my kitchen so I can run the hose for the washer from there - so the test will go ahead!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sorted
hope it works properly

If you was closer I'd pop round and sort it for you, but I think it would be a bit of a trek lol

·
Registered
359 Posts
I picked up the nilfisk pw yesterday and done my patio and work van today gets top marks from me and got it for £59.99 with a gift card I have, also running mine from the mixer tap with hose lock adaptor no problems there

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I picked up the nilfisk pw yesterday and done my patio and work van today gets top marks from me and got it for £59.99 with a gift card I have, also running mine from the mixer tap with hose lock adaptor no problems there
Excellent news. Just a pity I can't find a local supplier of snow foam, so that will have to wait until I order some. But Stella will get a pressure wash

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the recommendation Alb - I'll be picking mine up in the morning

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm assuming you just put some in the bottle and attach a foaming nozzle to it?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts