Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the ST has annoyed me for ages with clattering during gear changes and generally being noisy when anywhere near the clutch. Gear changes weren't smooth, I don't mean gear lever action either, it was the bite point that wasn't easy to navigate between first and second gear, then second and third. Car was a little jumpy and unruly at slow speed on and off the throttle.

I'd had the drive shaft splines glued in place, was convinced it was the clutch and flywheel at one point, which resulted in an RS clutch being fitted (had started to slip anyway) and still couldn't get to the bottom of the clattering and noise.

Well I've fitted the Powerflex pre-facelift lower torque mount kit today and the car feels like a new one, the difference has honestly surprised me. I didn't think it would have improved it so much. The old bush and rubber insert didn't look in bad shape either. Fitting wasn't too hard, although no instructions came with it, but they would have been nice for guidance.

Really cheap mod at less than £40 from Matt Lewis Motorsport (great price and service) and it has put a smile back on my face. The point of losing traction is now much easier to anticipate and deal with, wheel hop is also all but gone. No downsides, can't feel any vibration into the cabin that some people have reported with the Vibratechnics. I'd certainly recommend doing it, if you haven't already.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Well the ST has annoyed me for ages with clattering during gear changes and generally being noisy when anywhere near the clutch. Gear changes weren't smooth, I don't mean gear lever action either, it was the bite point that wasn't easy to navigate between first and second gear, then second and third. Car was a little jumpy and unruly at slow speed on and off the throttle.

I'd had the drive shaft splines glued in place, was convinced it was the clutch and flywheel at one point, which resulted in an RS clutch being fitted (had started to slip anyway) and still couldn't get to the bottom of the clattering and noise.

Well I've fitted the Powerflex pre-facelift lower torque mount kit today and the car feels like a new one, the difference has honestly surprised me. I didn't think it would have improved it so much. The old bush and rubber insert didn't look in bad shape either. Fitting wasn't too hard, although no instructions came with it, but they would have been nice for guidance.

Really cheap mod at less than £40 from Matt Lewis Motorsport (great price and service) and it has put a smile back on my face. The point of losing traction is now much easier to anticipate and deal with, wheel hop is also all but gone. No downsides, can't feel any vibration into the cabin that some people have reported with the Vibratechnics. I'd certainly recommend doing it, if you haven't already.
Yep i too pick one of these up last week when at Collins for a mere £25, fitted it today and noticed a difference straight away! For the money its a brilliant mod to do!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Been thinking about this mod recently, and after these reviews think I'm going to go for it, dont suppose anyone could do a quick how to on fitting? Also now that I'm running bluefin stage 3+ the powers a bit harder to put down, would this mod help in that respect at all?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been thinking about this mod recently, and after these reviews think I'm going to go for it, dont suppose anyone could do a quick how to on fitting? Also now that I'm running bluefin stage 3+ the powers a bit harder to put down, would this mod help in that respect at all?
Won't give you any more grip I don't think, but it makes it easier to judge when you're losing grip and I've found I can judge the throttle that is needed better.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Should help reduce axle tramp which is the juddering you get wen you plant it.

And it's really easy mate.

Undo the undertray. Slides forward to come off once the pins are out.

Then it's a 17 and I think 15mm bolt for the mount.
Takes about 5 mins if you had access

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Thanks for the replys guys, another quick question is there much differance between the powerflex insert and say the elevate/vibratechnics mounts? I no the vibra is quite a stiff mount so would give you a lot of vibration which to be honest wouldn't be for me, haven't heard much about the elevate tho?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I have the elevate mount and I LOVE it, no noticeable extra vibrations but holds the engine in place so much better

My ST doesn't feel like pitbull pulling at its lead when I left the loud pedal anymore

elevate

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have the elevate mount and I LOVE it, no noticeable extra vibrations but holds the engine in place so much better

My ST doesn't feel like pitbull pulling at its lead when I left the loud pedal anymore

elevate
Ive got the elevate one like Stephen and I love it too. Really was money well spent.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Should help reduce axle tramp which is the juddering you get wen you plant it.

And it's really easy mate.

Undo the undertray. Slides forward to come off once the pins are out.

Then it's a 17 and I think 15mm bolt for the mount.
Takes about 5 mins if you had access
15mm and 13mm you need. Have some spanners to hand though, as the lowest 13mm at the gearbox end doesn't have clearance for the socket, too close to the turbo to intercooler hard pipe.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts