Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been looking at the power steering problems on here, and found this pic of the bolt that needs tightening up posted by someone.

Where is this located on the car? can I do it from the engine bay etc? Thinking of checking mine and maybe putting some thread lock on there.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
i think this is a picture of space between front bumper and driver side wheel arch? it is far easier to get there from below, but if you feeling keen you could try removing front grille, which may work esp if you have aftermarket intercooler (plastic ducts would be removed)

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Pretty sure it's the drivers side at the front corner, right behind the front of the wheelarch liner. There are 2 sections to the undertray, the big main one needs to come off then maybe the one under the front bumper if you still can't get to it. Either way the main undertray needs to come off first.

Myself I wouldn't go to the bother of trying to threadlock it - if you undo it to do that you'll get PAS fluid everywhere and have fun and games trying to degrease it all off the union and the threads into the reservoir. Best to just make sure it's tight. The issue only affected pre-facelift cars and to be honest I think if yours was going to let go it would have done it by now. Ford specify 30N for it which is fine if you've got a 17mm (iirc) open-ended crows-foot wrench or ring spanner attachment for a torque wrench.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(Trist @ 8 Nov 2009, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>so all Ford do is tighten it to 30N and its a permanent fix?

Would putting a few dabs of paint on it help after tightening the nut?
Yep, that's right. Don't know if Ford didn't tighten them to the right spec in the factory or their spec was wrong?

Have not heard of any working loose again after going in to be fixed/checked so don't think you need to do anything else unless youre really keen on the loctite route. Paint on the outside of the threads won't help in any case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.