Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm Matt, 22 from Wakefield, West Yorkshire (but also work down in Oxford) and I'm finally taking the plunge into buying a Focus ST after a BIG grin-inducing test drive a couple of weeks back. I'm in no actual rush to go out and buy tomorrow, though I have seen a few vehicles which have caught my eye and was looking for some advice.

First of all, I spotted this on GoCar in S****horpe which is RIGHT up my street - a '07 Red ST3 3-dr with 21k on the clock for £12k? http://www.gocar.co.uk/Search.asp?SearchMo...Ford&Page=2

To me that seems like a very good price from what I've seen but like a lot of things that are priced good, maybe there is a reason for it. Does anyone recognise the reg and know if the owner was on here? Is that the price you can be expected to pay for that sort of spec? Ultimately, I'd love to own a red ST, after having fallen in love with a friends Fez ST in red - I understand the colour is a little bit rarer though.

Finally, I wondered if anyone could give me any idea on their finance payments and whether its with a dealer or bank? (i.e. how much financed, monthly payments etc.) I've two options really - I'm part-ex'ing my current vehicle which will equate to about £4k and then the rest I will need to finance.

Sorry for all the questions guys - just any advice would be great - then I know what deals I'm looking at are a good one. I really like that Red ST...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys

I shall keep on shopping. I figured that'd be the best way to deal with finance as my bank can offer me 8.7% which seems to be the average from banks these days - whereas the stealers I've spoken to are quoting around 9.0%. Having done a credit check already, I've since learned that I fall into an average / good category and would have no problem obtaining the better rates, which is good to know!

At the minute I've been getting figures of between £220 - £250 per month over 36 months for financing around £6 - £7k. Hopefully this sits in the right ballpark for payments? Around £900 - £1k interest over the 3 years?

I'll have a look at the members sales as well - if anyone has a red ST for sale, or coming up for sale, I'd be highly interested. Obviously I would still have to organise a loan from the bank, but other than th time required to do that, you'd probably find a fast sale if it's what I'm looking for!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
A Stealer (as you call us) If they are quoting 9%apr, that is very cheap, FCE's base rate is now over 8%flat, so they are probably using a special rate form somewhere.

Like I said, the way to get the best deal, is to get a quote from the bank, and get the Dealer to beat it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I bought mine in March this yr for under 11k for a ST2 with 14500miles from a ford franchise, i had discounted it at first for being TOO cheap but when went to the "stealer" they said it was priced too clear as they wanted the new facelift
's on their forecourt

All the car checked out so i went for it. Good job i secured it with a deposit as several other buyers turned up later in the afternnon ready to buy it also.

As long as it checks out and its what you want, i wouldnt worry about the price being too low
Leaves more in the "modding fund"

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
When I was looking for my
earlier in the year, I had some dealings with Go-Car over the phone and they were quite accommodating both on price and finance so you may be able to get a good deal out of them.
Didn't get it from then in the end because I had to delay my purchase.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks chap - good to know. Unfortunately I'm back in Oxford tomorrow, so a simple 'drive over there' will no longer be an option, but at least it's good to hear they seem accommodating even over the phone to look at working out a deal / finance.

I've often found it difficult to get recommendations as I seem to find a car at the only dealer no-one has used! (or at least is a reliable source)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right guys - been busy all week ringing around a few dealers enquiring about various ST3's and finance. Is anyone willing to share what sort of 'typical' APR they're getting on (HP) finance? I know it's all individual circumstances but I've been offered some wildly different rates from 7.9% to 14.7% - and some that have their own finance are happy to match the offer I've had from a bank. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I can expect as an 'average'. Does the interest rate vary depending on whether you do PCP or HP?

- My current car I reckon is worth in part-ex terms around £2750
- I can put down around £2000 in addition to the part-ex
- This makes the price (if I took the earlier example) as being £7249 which I would have to finance.

When part-ex'ing should I be looking to get the £11,999 price down and down to what sort of price? £11.5k? £11k? Would they budge given that they will more than likely try to coin me off on "Oh well you're getting a very good price for your old car, therefore we can't lower the price of the new vehicle"? I mean I've looked around and it 'seems' like a good price to begin with. I'd be honestly happy with a deal if they made it £11.5k and rounded the finance left to pay at around £7k.

Sounds a bit like baby steps, but I don't want to get suckered in by some dealer telling me something just because I haven't the magic of age on my side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.