Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer I am visiting Moscow.
Nothing too out of the ordinary there, the only thing is I am considering driving.
I mentioned it to the wife and I haven't heard the end of it, so it looks like I am not going to be able to change my mind if I want to.

What I want to know is has anyone else taken on a journey like this?

I have roughly worked out the cost in petrol and it is a fair bit more expensive in the
(£200-£300 more), but I must admit the adventure aspect of the journey appeals to me.

I have been on the AA website regarding driving abroad, but if anybody has got any advice I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Simo @ 1 Mar 2010, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wow I'm jealous mate. Furthest I ever travelled was Bielefeld in Germany!
How many miles is that and how long did it take?
Moscow is 1800m and I am planning 3 days, but hoping for 2.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
We drive from Calais to Les 2 Alpes and that takes, I think around 10 hours (toal time so incluides breaks and refills etc).
We also have driven from Calais to Obergurgl and that one was around 14 hours I think.

No idea what the distance is like though but I'm sure google maps'll tell you

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(yoinkster @ 1 Mar 2010, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We drive from Calais to Les 2 Alpes and that takes, I think around 10 hours (toal time so incluides breaks and refills etc).
We also have driven from Calais to Obergurgl and that one was around 14 hours I think.

No idea what the distance is like though but I'm sure google maps'll tell you

Was that in your
? if so how many miles would you say roughly you get from a tankfull?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Nah, don't take the
skiing, we normally go in merc diesel tractor. Sorry I can't help you any more on that front

Although rolling up the motorways here when just cruising the
can do "quite well", ~35mpg if you keep her steady.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I did this journey two years ago in the ST. It was expensive, but well worth it.

We drove via Denmark up to Stockholm in Sweden, then took a ferry to Turku, Finland and then all the way to St. Petersburg, Russia and on to Moscow and slightly farther south to place called Belgorod, 800km from Moscow.

The whole journey took 4 days and 3 nights, with stopovers in Denmark, on overnight ferry Stockholm-Turku and in St. Petersburg. Rough cost of petrol was 800 quid, but if you exclude 1600km Moscow-Belgorod (roundtrip) it should be cheaper for you.

There is another route via Poland and Belarus, but Poland is said to be a bummer to cross with busy single carriageways throughout the country. Plus it was rough for some, so we didn't risk it. On a plus side drive through Sweden and Finland is quite picturesque and you'd be covered by EU breakdown service for most of the way. I didn't fancy breaking down in Poland on other hand.

Anyways, if you go for it - it would be a trip to remember for life!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did this journey two years ago in the ST. It was expensive, but well worth it.

We drove via Denmark up to Stockholm in Sweden, then took a ferry to Turku, Finland and then all the way to St. Petersburg, Russia and on to Moscow and slightly farther south to place called Belgorod, 800km from Moscow.

The whole journey took 4 days and 3 nights, with stopovers in Denmark, on overnight ferry Stockholm-Turku and in St. Petersburg. Rough cost of petrol was 800 quid, but if you exclude 1600km Moscow-Belgorod (roundtrip) it should be cheaper for you.

There is another route via Poland and Belarus, but Poland is said to be a bummer to cross with busy single carriageways throughout the country. Plus it was rough for some, so we didn't risk it. On a plus side drive through Sweden and Finland is quite picturesque and you'd be covered by EU breakdown service for most of the way. I didn't fancy breaking down in Poland on other hand.

Anyways, if you go for it - it would be a trip to remember for life!
Thanks for the info, I have been contemplating a few routes.

I was considering going via Finland but was a bit concerned about the cost of the ferry as I know they can be very expensive.
I have decided to avoid Belarus at all costs as I know the soldiers can be a problem and going via Latvia and Lithuania only adds about 100 miles to the journey.
Regarding the cost though, you do surprise me I worked it out to be more than that.

If I have and further questions, do you mind if I PM you?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
A good breakdown cover is a must before you attempt anything like this, I have used both the AA one and the RAC one I haven't had to use them so couldn't tell you if they are good or not. Other things you want to consider is getting the car serviced before you go, after all you are going to be putting thousands of miles on the car in a matter of weeks, same goes with tyres if they are getting a bit low it might be worth changing them early.

I have found the the ST is a great car for just eating up the miles, I have driven to Italy a few times with the longest drive being 24 hours between two drivers. I was getting around 32mpg sitting at the speed limits (8omph).

·
Registered
305 Posts
A good breakdown cover is a must before you attempt anything like this, I have used both the AA one and the RAC one I haven't had to use them so couldn't tell you if they are good or not. Other things you want to consider is getting the car serviced before you go, after all you are going to be putting thousands of miles on the car in a matter of weeks, same goes with tyres if they are getting a bit low it might be worth changing them early.

I have found the the ST is a great car for just eating up the miles, I have driven to Italy a few times with the longest drive being 24 hours between two drivers. I was getting around 32mpg sitting at the speed limits (8omph).
I have priced up the breakdown cover, I think it was about £120 from the AA but it only covers me up to the Russian border.

My car is due for a service in the next few weeks and I am going in june, the car has only done 10k miles in 2 years and the tyres still look new.
I only thought of doing this journey in the
because it is such a good long distance car.
I have done a few test runs up the M11 to see what sort of MPG I can get and I was getting similar to yourself, I know that it is no where near the mileage but it has given me a rough idea of fuel consumption at motorway speeds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts