Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving on the motorway earlier today and went to overtake another car. I put my foot down in 6th and it started to judder and then the management light came on and started flashing. Now the engine is shaking like crazy and is misfiring. I can't even drive it things are so bad. The only code showing is D900. The car is a facelift Mountune ST. I've used the search function but there doesn't seem to be an snwer. Anyone??

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
There are not any fault codes starting with D and presume you got it from the dash read out which I think concerns the dash cluster only.

I dont know what the problem is but if you know someone with either a scanguage or DS close to you they might be able to get a code from the OBD2 port but it doesnt sound too healthy and would not start it again until it's been checked over.

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,446 Posts
sounds like the timing is way off mate. have you checked your timing belt is'nt broke.
just a guess mate, im no expert. like paulted says dont start it if its running so bad.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I phoned good old Ford and they said i had to get the car to them. It's still under warranty but i really don't want to have to drive it at all. I had to move it a few hours ago and it took ages to start and was chugging on idle. Shouldn't Ford have to recover the car if it is undrivable??

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
Hope its nothing seriouse mate, it could also be your maf sensor or as said a coil pack, i doubt its a timing belt as i doubt it would even run at all.

If your worried about driving it, get onto the workshop manager and ask to have it relayed.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help chaps. It sounds to me like it's missing a cylinder, but i know nothing about these cars yet. I'll have to get onto Ford on Monday and try to get them to trailor it away. I probably could drive it to them but the whole car shakes and rattles and it can't be doing it any good.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Am pretty certain ford only offer recovery for the first 12 months, but check your hand book to be sure, if its got a misfire if could be a dozen different things wrong with it mate, dont pull the kam fuse out though as this clears all the codes and could makes things more difficult for the technician in the garage to locate/rectify the fault.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Am pretty certain ford only offer recovery for the first 12 months, but check your hand book to be sure, if its got a misfire if could be a dozen different things wrong with it mate, dont pull the kam fuse out though as this clears all the codes and could makes things more difficult for the technician in the garage to locate/rectify the fault.
I phoned the breakdown number in the handbook and they said breakdown is limited to 12 months but shouldn't a dealer have to get the car to the garage for repairs if it won't drive? Surely i shouldn't have to pay for it trailoring to them.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I phoned the breakdown number in the handbook and they said breakdown is limited to 12 months but shouldn't a dealer have to get the car to the garage for repairs if it won't drive? Surely i shouldn't have to pay for it trailoring to them.
If it starts and drives (Even badly) then drive it to the garage, any parts that require replacement will be covered under warranty, I am not sure what there policy will be on recovery, i have a funny feeling that they do not cover recovery of vehicles, if thats the case then i would be joining the AA/RAC/GREENFLAG etc. You could try the causing a stink but that rarely works and even if it does they will put you right to the bottom of the queue.

The best thing to do if you dont want to drive the car is call your local dealer on monday and ask them what they can do for you.

·
Registered
973 Posts
From limited experience and a few people who have had their engines replaced under warrenty on here it sounds very similar to some peoples problems. Check you coolant level, has it dropped?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I bet it is the coil or a faulty spark plug. I had the same problem when i had 2 faulty spark plugs dew to bad gas. And ford should pick the car up from you if it is not drivable. Here in Romania we have Ford Road Support that will bring any car to the Ford dealer and you do not have to pay if the car is in the 4 year warranty (we 2 + 2 extended) or if the car is repaired at that dealer the service will pay for the towing. You have to pay only if you don't repair the car there or the car is fine.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
1. My Saxo (don't all laugh at once) showed the same symptoms last month and it turned out to be the coil pack.
2. I would not drive it to the dealers as you may cause more serious damage.
3. Joining a breakdown service is a good idea. But check that they don't have a clause that prevents you calling them out in the first days of the policy.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Checked the coolant level ok. What would happen if the engine was shot? Ford would replace it but what about the Mountune bits? Would they have to make the engine the same as it was prior to going pop?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.