Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Please tell me if I'm being a miserable
on this one. I'll appreciate the honesty but I can't see that I am wrong at the minute.

I bought my Car Dec 12th from Gates Ford in Harlow, My GF has bought a used car from there and my Grandad has bought a new car from them in the past couple of years and both had good service.

I saw the car a week prior to buying it and after umming and arhing in the showroom that day I decided to make sure I had the funds available first. It didn't stop the pushy salesman (James Harrison for anyone who goes there stear clear) trying to get me to lay down a deposit. I declined and left, really wanting the car but it had to be right for me. I had a phone call from him later on in the day which I ignored and he left me a VM asking what they could do to make me go back and buy it. This was the Sunday, I then returned to the Garage on the Tuesday to put a deposit down on the car. I dealt with someone else and I was happy with the deal.

I was told I would get a phonecall about collecting from james the next day wednesday came and went without anything. I even rang to be told he was with a customer and would call me back so I again called twice on the Wednesday. When I finally got though he told me it would be ready for saturday. I told him I was away but could collect on Sunday to which he replied very bluntly "I am not here, anyway we don't do exchanges on Sundays" not wanting hassle I said no problem I'll collect on monday after work.

I didn't have any further contact only again to ring and leave messages for him to call me back during the run up to the weekend to make sure it was ok to split payment between cash and cheque. I got a call back eventually but it was a long time after.

I rang on the Sunday, obviously excited about getting my car the next day and I just wanted to see the car in light, as by the time I got there on the Monday it would be dark and I wouldn't be able to check the car over. I spoke to a guy and said, I've bought the Orange ST and just wanted to check it over before I collect tommorow. This seemed like I'd asked the guy to bring it to me, they way he answered like it was a massive effort, I only asked if the car was viewable. In the end he said "if the cars not here i'll call you back in 10 minutes" I got no phonecall so headed to the garage (25 mins away) I get there to find the car is locked away in the service garage and was unviewable. I was annoyed as I had rung but a nice Nandos did soften the blow, lol.

So I head down Monday night, to see the car parked up out front and to be welcomed by James who says "we've had it all valeted for you, did you notice?" and tbh for the few moments I saw it it looked nice. Anyway payment was made and he showed me my keys, my dad was with me who asked about the handbook to which I got "oh we couldn't find it but I've ordered you one in and I'll send it to you" again I wasn't happy but said ok. Got out to the car (after what felt like forever, lol) to find there was no mats in there. Now I know for a fact there were mats in the car on the test drive as My dad mentioned to me after that it was a nice touch leaving them in there as normally they take them out. So anyway there were no mats, so when questioned the guy got really assey with me and my dad, it seemed to really get his back up. After going back and forth for about 5 minutes, he stated the only people to touch the car would have been the valeters and he would talk to them first thing and then call me straight away the next morning. I told him that this had been my worst experience buying a car and this again seemed to really annoying saying its only mats etc... I left unhappy but glad to get the car.

Arrived home to notice these so called Valeters hasn't even removed the ribbon from my rear wiper blade where they must have had baloons on at one point or another. Anyway 2 weeks ago tomorrow was the first contact I had with Ford since as I had recieved no phone call again the next day as promised. This time I spoke with Tom Owen who is the sales manager there who apologised and told me that they can't order me the same mats as Ford won't let him (maybe someone here can confirm or deny this). He said he would call on Monday morning, as you have probably guessed no phone call so I called him on Tuesday to be told that he would supply me with some mats but not the right ones, he also said a manual takes 48 hours to order so he no idea why I hadn't had it already. I also questioned why this couldn't have been orderd the week in between me buying and collecting my car to which he couldn't answer. he said he would leave the out for me to collect on wednesday, I said I dont think I can make it, he said that wasn't a problem and he would post them the next day if I didn't collect.

Its now Friday a week and a half later and I've had nothing, Left a message yesterday and today and have heard nothing.

I'm sorry for the essay but short of going in there tomorrow and shouting and screaming (which really isnt me, I just want an easy life, lol) I don't know where to go with this now.

Stay away from Gates at Harlow!

Brad

·
1,285 Posts
I have had issues with certain Ford dealers in the Essex area as well.

Anyone who knows me will back me up when I say that I stand for no
!! I will argue with any dealer and constantly remind them that without my valued custom, their wages would be lower next month.

Go back and have it out with the after sales manager and if that fails, ask to speak to the boss in charge of the branch. Stand your ground and don't back down!

Good luck in getting it all rectified mate

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I have had a bad experience with Ford (Vospers) and my alternator. It didnt help that the warranty company were being petty but Ford wanted me to pay for their mistake.

My Thread

I agree with the above, go back and make sure you stand your ground

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
As a saleperson for Ford.

You are completely in the right, it's terrible poor planning on the part of the salesman.

The valeters do take the mats out when they valet the car, and if they're no good they get binned, if they are any good they go back in the car,
If your mats weren't any good, they would of been binned when the car was 1st valeted (when it arrived on site, long before your test drive).

The car should of never left the dealership without an instruction manual - mistakes happen, but they should of 'borrowed' one from another focus, and replaced it with the one they ordered for you.

What seem like small points to the dealer, clearly has ruined your buying experience.

Best of luck with getting it sorted,

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looks like the training for Gates is the same for all the group,when I was looking for my
I went to Gates Waltham Cross the salesman had no idea about it what so ever, he asked why i wanted an ST3 when I told him it was for the leather and the heated seats he assured me he could find an ST2 with both of those fitted, he asked what I wanted to spend told him we was looking at £10k + p/ex (so about £15k in total) he asked if i'd considered an RS when I pointed out they were roughly twice my budget he was genuinely surprised!

Not once did he offer me a test drive of the ST they had on site despite the fact I had told him i'd never driven one, he offered me a 57 plate ST3 at £19K when I told him I tought they had undervalued my p/ex and over priced their ST the answer I got was "its a good deal you wont find a deal as good as that".

I also went to Dagenham motors and they were no better I went to them 3 times was never offered a test drive, had salesmen arguing over me and when I told them I wanted an ST3 3 door facelift in either silver,black or possibly blue with a budget of £15k, they offered me a red 5 door an orange 3 door or a white 3 door face lift for £20k when I told them I had seen an identical car for £16k and showed him the print out of it his words were "well go and buy it"

So I did, Evans Halshaw St Albans gave me a great buying experience they had me test driving the car within 10 mins and the deal was done within the hour and I spent £2k more than i'd budgeted for, oh and never did end up with any of the colours that i wanted had to have the frozen white as soon as i saw it with its blue stipes it just harked back to the Series 1 RS Turbo.

Shame most dealers can't be as helpful, i would recomend anyone looking for an ST or any Ford for that matter to speak to Evans Halshaw St albans.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
The mats that were in the car were proably aftermarket ones and someone probably thought thye woudl like them and knicked them, the dealer will not be able to buy these from ford therefore can only supply ford mats, they ar enot bad, we have them in our lasses and thye have a good method of fixing so the drivers side does not move and you do not have to make any holes in your carpet.

re the service, unfortunately it is not unusual and I have to I deal with this sort of stuff very often, I buy and run a fleet of 30+ cars at work as well as my own cars. I also have to pursue breach of contract cases daily.

To be honnest by pushing it you will only wind you self up, by all means try the stealer again for the mats but if no joy just go and get some form somewhere else, they are not all that expensive and at least the car sounds o.k.

This is not saying you have been going OTT, quite the oposite but just thinking of you and how this may effect your view of what should be a great car and driving experience 8

·
Registered
734 Posts
QUOTE(Storm @ 22 Jan 2010, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I will argue with any dealer and constantly remind them that without my valued custom, their wages would be lower next month.

I can't believe you would say that! If i recall your a copper like myself and that's nearly as bad as someone saying to us "My taxes pay your wages". And that response tends to get you no where!

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
My advice is this

Write don't speak

Write to the dealer principal, say that you agreed to purchase a car with mats, these mats are now missing. Despite asking to inspect the car before completing the sale, you were stopped from doing so. You would therefore like the equivalent set of mats and the handbook for the vehicle to be delivered to you in the next seven day. In failure you will purchase these items from other sources/dealers and look to them for reimbursement. If they fail to reimburse you within a reasonable period you shall have no option but to consider a more formal route of recovery. State that this is a point of principal which has been polarised by the poor service you have received through out the sale of the vehicle. Send it recorded delivery

If that doesn't work, chalk it up to experience and move on

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Unfortunately these things happen, especially in these current times as they are desparate to make sales they will use any tactics to get it !!.

That salesman was a complete
and I would have let him know too....... At the end of the day you could have bought elsewhere and will probably ( will ) do so next time !!! Customer service brings more custom in the future - something most dealers forget !!

As mentioned " Evans Halshaw" could not have been any nicer !! Perfect service, test drive even though I was not the one wanting to buy ( brother was !! ) and delilvery next day and great aftersales ( courtesey call to make sure i had no problems or queries !!!!) - excellent.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
Sorry to hear you had such a poor experience buying your car matey! As others have said you are totally in the right about it and should complain untill the problems are sorted! I used Gates of Harlow for some warranty work and they did a great job! Sounds a shame that the sales department arent as clued up as the service department! I had a really bad experience having some crash damage repaired through the insurance with Gates of Bishops Stortford too but thankfully their bodyshop has now been shut down! Thankfully when i bought my car from Gates of Epping the staff were great and although not experts on the ST were very helpful and after a small delay on delivery (no fault of the dealers) offered me a really good deal on an intermediate oil and filter change by way of an appology!

·
Registered
56 Posts
My experience with Gates seems to be opposite to the ones mentioned on here.

My salesman (Tom at Stevenage) couldnt have been more helpful. He took me out for a test drive straight away. Threw in some mats, had the scuffed front lip repainted for me. Kept me updated on the phone, and always called back when I left a message. Also, managed to get the car ready two days earlier than I'd originally specified as I got impatient! And stayed behind 2 hours late so that I could collect it from him after I had finished work!

So, hopefully, not all Gates dealers are bad!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Gates are just shoddy in general, i had issues with their very rude service department, much to their shock one of my very close mates is the top manager for servicing in the group, so needless to say i got my car fixed pronto after a few words with him.

As for Sales my ex boyf and a couple of mates are/were salesmen there and i didnt buy my ST from them, rubbish deals couldnt get anywhere near Archers of Ashby.....who' sales staff were just as poor, but the 4k discount softened the blow.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Sky Ford in Hemel Hempsted is another to be avoided, guy called Scott sold me my car..Im certainly never going back there again... and the sad thing is.. it would of been in their interests to treat me well because I change my daily runaround (focus titanium) on a regular basis due to my mileage and being im self employed, I will be changing my car every 12 months or so... 18 months at a push, so the car doesnt loose too much in the way of depreciation and miles on the clock.

I brought the car from them, drove it away assuming it had all been inspected, cleaned etc before driving it away.
Then I got back and found a scratch down the drivers side door glass... was a deep one as well because you can catch your fingernail on it.
Few days later, I went down to the dealer to argue it out with them, because it was like that when I purchased the car.. and that wasnt the only problem, the drivers mirror indicator lense was full of condensation.

They tried to tell me that the indicator lense problem was "normal" and that it was probably just some water getting into it when the car was "steam" cleaned.. yes... he did say they "Steam Cleaned" the paintwork.

But none the less.. they swapped it with a lense off another car, and told me to ring back when it was convienient so they could get their glass dr guy down to try polishing the scratch out.

2 weeks later when I had time off work.. phoned back again, asking if it was ok to come down sometime to have the glass fixed.
Then he ended up forgetting he said they would put it right convieniently.. and gave me the number of some company that "Tints" glass with sticker type films... how it went from repairing a scratch to me wanting a tint applied I dont know.. so I phoned back and argued I didnt want it tinting.. I just wanted it repairing... and he said he would ring me back, but never did. So the glass is still like it now, I brought a new glass for it at a cost of £50 just havent got around to fitting it yet.

Then the indicator lense misted up with condensation AGAIN.. same 1 drivers side mirror indicator... So I took it to another ford dealer who replaced it under warranty.. and I have to say ever since its been perfectly fine.. so clearly its their steam cleaning that damaged it.. shouldnt have steam on paintwork anyway because of the high temperatures.. it certainly dulled mine and gave it a slight white tint which i never noticed until i parked the car next to another car painted in the same colour.

further week later after washing the car down for the first time...I notice white marks/streaks down the passenger side panels.. especially bad on the rear quarter panel.. not so bad it was noticeable from a distance because it looked fine, but it was definitely noticeable up close in the correct light... tried cleaning them off.. no joy.. so I came to the conclusion that they had put the "Diamondbrite" over the top of polish or something.. or allowed the diamondbrite stuff to dry on too long before cleaning off the residue.

phoned diamondbrite up about it and they told me to just take it back to the dealer... but by now because I had enough of the dealer I didnt take it back in the end.. all they would of done if anything is remove it and put it back on improperly anyway. So in the end, I took it to a professional detailer who machine polished the paintwork to correct it then correctly applied a paintwork protection.

Still need to get the windscreen machine polished, because the idios shoved diamondbrite on my windscreen, and now its wearing off in places and whenever it rains all the dirt sticks to the areas where the diamondbrite is wearing off and it severely affects my visibility and I have to use the windscreen washers to restore clarity so i can see where im going.

Also when I brought the car, I payed for a spare key, so I had 3.. and they charged me what must of been around £200 in total which is extortionate.

But the problems didnt end there, because the car was also sold to me with a buckled front drivers side alloy wheel.. which cost me a further £180.

So NEVER EVER again will I be going back there... I now go to essex ford and so far have had a good service from them, 1 time I had something fixed under warranty in there and they damaged somthing else.. so the guy ordered me up and fitted a replacement with no hastle at all just apoligised and got it done for me. They even had a look at my aircon compressor which I thought might of had a slight leak, because its covered by warranty and didnt charge me anything for taking a look.. even though the engine cover needed removal.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I personally had a very had experience from Peoples Ford Sighthill in Edinburgh when I bought my Fiesta ST before the Focus ST obviously. I went there looking for a Fiesta ST seen one in white and really liked it but after seeing my mates white Vauxhall Astra get so dirty so easy I decided against it and went for a performance blue, so I got prices up and the salesman said if your not sure you can give me a call back tommorow or pop in and visit me and take the white one for another test drive and then make your mind up, so the following day I went back after my work and took him up on that and took the white ST for a test drive and ordered a performance blue ST for 12k brand new that night. He did state that the Blue ST was coming from somewhere overseas and was having to get delivered by ferry and would take 2 weeks to get here I accepted that and went on my way and 2 weeks later I got the phone call the car was ready, I arrived there to see a nice shiney Fiesta ST from the rear, so after signing some more papers I went outside to view my nice new car, and as I worked my way around the front noticed that both headlights were rammed full of condensation the first thing I said was how are the headlights full of condensation the reply was its just been all washed it will go away after you turn the lights on after a while, so I agreed and took the car home after a week or so of owning the car the condensation never did get any better.

So I phoned them and they "ordered 2 new headlights" after waiting a month and a half cause the headlights were supposedly on back order! I was starting to notice more things were wrong with the car 1. being a cracked tail light 2. car was absolutely caked in swirl marks 3. there was scrapes in the paint beside the rear window panel right neat in the corner that had scraped all the way through to the bear metal they were only 4mm long by about 1mm wide but still rust could come eventually, and last but not least I noticed black rubber marks on the bonnet at the back edge where the bonnet folds back on itself it looked like someone had dropped a tyre or something on it and the rubber had stuck to the paint or it may have been tar god knows took a hour to get off though.

I eventually went in to get my headlights done and complained about the following issues the manager of the branch was not happy and was giving his staff a right bollocking in front of me saying a car never should have gone out like this its a disgrace etc. So he then said all problems would get sorted and the swirls polished out paint touched up etc. After arranging this I took the car for its first polish and the deal was the WHOLE car was to be swirl free after their detailer looked at it, my mate who works at vauxhall over the road phoned me and said is your whole car supposed to be getting polished and detailed I said yeah he replied they have only done the bottom half of the doors I said O'k ill leave it maybe they will go back to it later in the afternoon, but on arrival as he said it was only the bottom half of the doors that had been touched. The rest of the car was still manky I would have thought it would have been common courtesy to give it a quick blast with the jet washer or something I was livid not only had this been done but the car was still covered in swirls so they kept the car another day and had the clown polish it again etc I go back the next day the car is still covered in swirls but the whole thing had been polished. The guys touch ups were also a mess like a really dark navy blue against the PB stood out quite bad In the end I just decided to accept the car like that and was planning on getting it detailed myself, but then I went on to trade it in 6months later at the same garage, for my now PB facelift ST everything as far as that sale went were smooth and good apart from what looked like lentil soup spilled on the glovebox tray when I opened it :|

essay i know
that rants been a long time coming!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Have you had your "Customer Questionnaire" from them yet? My gadgy at Ford said that these can be make or break for them and bent over backwards in order for me to give him a good write up. Character assasinate him on it if not done so already!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(Luton-Reza @ 25 Jan 2010, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Have you had your "Customer Questionnaire" from them yet? My gadgy at Ford said that these can be make or break for them and bent over backwards in order for me to give him a good write up. Character assasinate him on it if not done so already!

Nope, how long should it be before receiving this then?

I did receive a manual today though in the post. Now I'm waiting on mats and the wallet that the manual is supposed to sit in...

·
Registered
304 Posts
QUOTE(Brian_FocusST @ 25 Jan 2010, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I personally had a very had experience from Peoples Ford Sighthill in Edinburgh when I bought my Fiesta ST before the Focus ST obviously.
then I went on to trade it in 6months later at the same garage, for my now PB facelift ST everything as far as that sale went were smooth and good apart from what looked like lentil soup spilled on the glovebox tray when I opened it :|

essay i know
that rants been a long time coming!

I just cannot believe you went back to the same garage and gave them yet more of your money

Companies like that don't deserve to be in business, but people like you keep them in it!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Fraid I find it hard to back Evans Halshaw ( Wolvehampton Branch ! ) .... Customer Service was awful! In fact, had to be the worst I have experienced. This was only a week or so ago so be warned.

Lousy after sales, Finance Manger was useless, telephone call back was non existent ( waited / called over 3hrs over 2 days and still no call back! )

They knew we were picking the car up at 09.00 Saturday morning as they had asked us to come in at this time to 'beat-the-rush'! "It's in our lock up, be here in a minute" ..... 50 mins later the car arrives! Awful ... just
awful service !

Use them again ........... Not on your nelly ...... Lousy experience and one I'd rather forget !!!!!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I honestly dont think ive ever had any good service from a dealer. Starting to wonder if there is any out there

When i bout my first car new, fiesta style from ford it was a nightmare dealing with them.
They did the usual, be ready in 2 days then it was three, then it was four, and i think i ended up waiting about 10 days.

Funny thing was after about 4 days they called to say it was in. Showed me a red car with no central locking, no cd player and no alloy wheels, and said i could have this instead, for same price.

I just laughed and said call me when my SILVER one with central locking cd player and 17' alloys comes in.

Once id signed for it they coudlnt get me out quick enough

Will be more careful next time

·
Registered
351 Posts
QUOTE(bristewart @ 25 Jan 2010, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I just cannot believe you went back to the same garage and gave them yet more of your money

Companies like that don't deserve to be in business, but people like you keep them in it!

I know what your saying mate but the car I bought was 5 months old and traded in so I could check it all over I test drove it 3 times in and it was cheaper than any other ford dealer near me so I just went for it went alot better than my previous purchase and still perfect to this day
fingers crossed anyway lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts