Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

just a quick question had my car recovered after it was stolen and the police did the forensics on the car and then the car was released to the insurance the garage has started work on the car but now ive been told that the garage cant touch the car anymore as the police want to have another look at it
the question is would the police want to see the car again after different people have been in it surely any other forensics would now be destroyed

thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
QUOTE(MatST-3 @ 1 Dec 2009, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi all

just a quick question had my car recovered after it was stolen and the police did the forensics on the car and then the car was released to the insurance the garage has started work on the car but now ive been told that the garage cant touch the car anymore as the police want to have another look at it
the question is would the police want to see the car again after different people have been in it surely any other forensics would now be destroyed

thanks

Hi mate,

Sorry to hear your car was stolen but at least youve got it back. Anyway the Police and the Forensics will take forever with the car, if they find something and its been sent back to the garage they will recall it to check it again to see if they pick up anymore hits and yeh if they find a DNA hit they can still recover the same DNA if its in there somewhere even if hundreds of people have touched it, just makes the job harder!!!

Heres hoping you get it back soon

Ste

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience.

At the end of the day it should have been up to you if you wanted the vehicle recovered in the first place as, believe it or not, the cost is met by either you or your insurer for the recovery (thats what happens in Hampshire)

The fact that SOCO have already had a go at it and covered it in aluminium powder should be good enough - what's YOUR priority, catching the b*st*rds that did it or getting the car fixed and back............?

Tell the garage/insurer it's your decision, not theirs or PLODS !

Good luck

·
1,285 Posts
QUOTE(notsofatso @ 4 Dec 2009, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry to hear about your experience.

At the end of the day it should have been up to you if you wanted the vehicle recovered in the first place as, believe it or not, the cost is met by either you or your insurer for the recovery (thats what happens in Hampshire)

The fact that SOCO have already had a go at it and covered it in aluminium powder should be good enough - what's YOUR priority, catching the b*st*rds that did it or getting the car fixed and back............?

Tell the garage/insurer it's your decision, not theirs or PLODS !

Good luck

PLODS? Kindly refer to us as our title. "The Police" is FAR more polite... there are a lot of us on here who serve our nations in various police forces, please respect us.

Now, as for the OP's comments.....There was no mention if he chose to have it recovered or not. Some insurance companies will stipulate that its recovered if found. Most insurance companies state that all recovery costs are met by them as well.

Surely CATCHING THE BAS**RDS WHO STOLE IT IS PRIORITY????????

Its not the decision of the OP... its the decision of the police if they want to see it again. The car is a "crime scene" and therefore, if they want to look at it again, then let them. Do you want these people caught?

The car may not be required for forensics, but for mechanical issues. Don't be afraid to ask them why they want it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I see PLOD as an everyday term and hardly an offensive one... there are worse terms out there for sure.

·
Registered
557 Posts
QUOTEI see PLOD as an everyday term and hardly an offensive one... there are worse terms out there for sure.

I prefer the term "the vice"

·
Registered
89 Posts
It is strange for them to do the forensic examination, release it and then conduct another as there is a break in the continuity of evidence recovered from it on the second occasion. However, the guys working on it in the garage can have their DNA eliminated from it.

All I can say it that there must be a reason for it otherwise they wouldn't bother with it.

Regarding getting your car back before it's done...

Most, if not all insurance companies will insist that you "assist police with all enquiries" relating to the theft of your car otherwise they will not pay out. Allowing them to conduct two, three, four examinations would probably fall with in the "assisting".

All I can say is that if you want these robbing slags banged up (I assume you do) just let the police crack on. Give them a ring and ask them why they are doing it. The new victim's code of practice means that the police have to keep you updated.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
QUOTEPLODS? Kindly refer to us as our title. "The Police" is FAR more polite... there are a lot of us on here who serve our nations in various police forces, please respect us.

You having a laugh? Trust me you get called far worse. I don't use the word Plod but it doesn't sound bad to me.

·
Registered
484 Posts
just let the "polis" do there job lol.

you will get the car back soon enough, i know its a pain but if there is a chance of catchin these people let them get on with it greater good and that as some people might not be lucky enough to have there cars recovered.

least you have your ST and its safe. be fixed and the key in your hand soon enough. once you hear the 5 pot burble you will forget all about it.

·
1,285 Posts
QUOTE(ST tyrone @ 6 Dec 2009, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You having a laugh? Trust me you get called far worse. I don't use the word Plod but it doesn't sound bad to me.

No, I am not having a laugh. Its just nice to be polite thats all.

I get enough abuse when I am at work, don't want to come on here and see it as well.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
QUOTE(Storm @ 6 Dec 2009, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No, I am not having a laugh. Its just nice to be polite thats all.

I get enough abuse when I am at work, don't want to come on here and see it as well.
storm not being rude or nothing would a police officer find it rude to be called the old bill the only reason i ask is ive used that term for years and i dont think it rude
and i do think that a the old bill do a good job apart from that one that beat me up a few years ago

·
1,285 Posts
QUOTE(kevin @ 6 Dec 2009, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>storm not being rude or nothing would a police officer find it rude to be called the old bill the only reason i ask is ive used that term for years and i dont think it rude
and i do think that a the old bill do a good job apart from that one that beat me up a few years ago

Kev...

I don't find them rude at all... trust me, I have been called a lot worse. Its part of the job and I accept whatever people want to call me. It just grates my cheese when people use the slang names like PLOD when they could easily have typed "police" !! When people talk out on the street, plod, filth, old bill, pigs etc are commonly used and thats a fact of life, however, its just polite when people ask favours of officers on here to be slightly more polite as they are asking us to advise on aspects of our job which in turn makes life easier for them.

Not trying to make a big deal out of it at all, just asking people to be more considerate when they do ask for our help, to ask in a polite way!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
QUOTE(Storm @ 6 Dec 2009, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Kev...

I don't find them rude at all... trust me, I have been called a lot worse. Its part of the job and I accept whatever people want to call me. It just grates my cheese when people use the slang names like PLOD when they could easily have typed "police" !! When people talk out on the street, plod, filth, old bill, pigs etc are commonly used and thats a fact of life, however, its just polite when people ask favours of officers on here to be slightly more polite as they are asking us to advise on aspects of our job which in turn makes life easier for them.

Not trying to make a big deal out of it at all, just asking people to be more considerate when they do ask for our help, to ask in a polite way!

i get ya storm
just wanted make sure did nt what to :censored:ss no one off i used that term for years
maybe because of the program the bill watch it since a kid

·
Registered
12,119 Posts
Ok guys lets chill on this one

Lets get back to the OP question and keep it on track

I would have thought that the Police would only want your car back as it may have been involved in a hit and run or even worse a fatality and they need to gain more evidence

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(kevin @ 6 Dec 2009, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>is the old bill not good name either

Refers to William Peel the home secretary at the time the first metropolitan police service was formed in 1829 so nothing derogatory about it! The history of it is fascinating really, the first police in the 1820s were hated with a passion. The first PC 1 lost his job after 4 hours for being drunk on duty lol

·
1,285 Posts
QUOTE(Chris @ 6 Dec 2009, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would have thought that the Police would only want your car back as it may have been involved in a hit and run or even worse a fatality and they need to gain more evidence

To be honest, they should have done everything required re forensics when they first had it.

Once they pass it over to the insurance company, that normally means that there should be no need for any further investigation.

The only thing that springs to mind for me is that they have caught someone responsible, and new evidence has come to light re: other offences.

Try and keep us informed if you can please

·
Registered
219 Posts
QUOTE(Storm @ 5 Dec 2009, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>PLODS? Kindly refer to us as our title. "The Police" is FAR more polite... there are a lot of us on here who serve our nations in various police forces, please respect us.

Now, as for the OP's comments.....There was no mention if he chose to have it recovered or not. Some insurance companies will stipulate that its recovered if found. Most insurance companies state that all recovery costs are met by them as well.

Surely CATCHING THE BAS**RDS WHO STOLE IT IS PRIORITY????????

Its not the decision of the OP... its the decision of the police if they want to see it again. The car is a "crime scene" and therefore, if they want to look at it again, then let them. Do you want these people caught?

The car may not be required for forensics, but for mechanical issues. Don't be afraid to ask them why they want it.

I seem to have touched a nerve - your comment about respect is pretentious to say the least. Storm, do you per chance drive around sporting a black rat sticker on your rear windscreen!? We are not a police state, not yet anyway therefore whatever happened to being victim focused!?

If you wish to discuss further then feel free to PM me and we can swap Airwaves details!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Without start up the argument again, just wanted to say i've been a Police Officer for ten years now and i have to admit that when people ask what i do for a living i say i'm a 'Rozzer'. I find it breaks the ice with people to be honest!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts