Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically got home from work tonite and started car . wen started it showed a power assisted fault so fort it mite be dreamscience so loaded a different map and now car is not working at all and dreamscience wont let me flash back to stock as it says voltage is to low????

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my car is an 06 plate ??? is the alternnator a common problem???? also i have put the battery on charge, if it starts when charged how can i check the alternator??? thx everyone

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
If you tried jumping it but the alternator's goosed you wouldn't have much luck tbh - might give it enough juice to start the car (whilst jumped) but without the alternator working right the battery won't get charged up like it needs.

·
Administrator
2,254 Posts
whilst the engine is running ..........

Do you hear a whinning noise ?? "Yes"

Front electric window working ??? "No"

If answer as above ... its the classic signs of alternator failure !!

·
Vendor
2,677 Posts
Once the battery is fully charged it is possible to check the voltage using the cars onboard dash display.

Once the car is ruuning the voltage should be 13.5-14.5 volts - If the alternator is gone with will read only 11.5 reducing. - Unfortunatly the Alternator/battery warning light is not very reliable on the ST.

Check to make sure that the battery terminals are clean and tight

Also take care 'jumping' the car as it is possible to spike the ECU (We had a customer who did this earlier this year)

·
Vendor
2,677 Posts
Unfortunately trying to change the MAP, in the event of having a low battery, is not a good idea.
- Although I can understand why people on seeing the 'on dash' error messages would wish to try.

When the battery is low we often see messages saying 'power steering failure' and 'reduced acceleration'

During the upload/download process the ECU processor uses a massive amount of power.

In this case it sounds like the DS handset would not let him load a different map due to the low voltage - a good safety feature I think. (something which our Code Red handsets does not offer - will have to have a chat with the team in Germany)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so it should be a case of just charge the battery overnight and then start car tomorrow and if its starts check voltage which will tell me if the alternator is working or not?? if it dont start on the other hand what do i do???

·
Vendor
2,677 Posts
QUOTE(stfezzy @ 23 Nov 2009, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>so it should be a case of just charge the battery overnight and then start car tomorrow and if its starts check voltage which will tell me if the alternator is working or not?? if it dont start on the other hand what do i do???

Charge the battery over night. - Start the car - Check the voltage on the dash.

If the car will not start ring me on 07725 618 835

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its all sorted i think!!! ive just checked the obd2 fuses and there all fine!! car has been on charge for 2 hours so fort id try starting it and wohooo it started with a nice little pop too lol so im guna let it charge over night and that should be it sorted!! i checked voltage when it was running and its just over 14 volts which means the alternater should be fine anyway guys thx for all your help

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.