Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

For all of you that have upgraded your HID bulbs from the 4300k to either 6000k or 8000k could you post pics of it please want to see what actually looks better pics of the headlight with them on from a nice angle would be cool!

Cheers

Lewis

·
Registered
301 Posts
Are these higher rating bulbs road legal?

Just asking, I have standard ones at the moment and would prefer brighter pure white bulbs.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts

6k bulbs from the group buy that I set up.
If you search the group buy section of the forum there's plenty of photos on the thread of my car

Are these higher rating bulbs road legal?

Just asking, I have standard ones at the moment and would prefer brighter pure white bulbs.
They're not higher rated. Nor are they more powerful. It is just purely the colour which is different. With regard to mot time. It's up to the tester to decide if the light you're emitting is of the correct colour.
This is all 'tester discretion'

·
Registered
Mk2 RS 400
4,189 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've been looking at bulbs and on philips website there is one at 6000k and they say there is more light? Is 4300k i.e. the standard bulbs the best if i want the whitest of lights?

i saw on another thread that it can either be d2r and d2s, would both types fit? best to take these bulbs to a garage to fit?

I only plan to change if my current ones decide to eventually burn out.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
The bulbs are d1s fitment (trust me on this one)
Bulbs are pretty easy to replace yourself.

6k is pretty white. As per photo. But because of the amount of blue in it, it's deceiving to the eye. Between 4.3 and 6k I doubt you'll notice much difference in light output.
You will notice the colour change though.

·
Registered
301 Posts
oh ok, i think i will leave it then.

do you think i should get the branded ones or just the ones on ebay? for that eventuality that i need to change them.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
The group buy was just the 30 quid eBay ones.

Ended up selling around 40-50 sets. I think two have had problems but they come with 2 months warranty and got them replaced no problem at all.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've been through so many different HID bulbs on the ST and other cars I've lost count.

99% of cheap 6000k bulbs from Ebay or the likes are very poor, yes they look a better colour but they do not put nearly as much light own on the road as OEM 4300k's

If you want to get a much whiter looking bulb that actually gives you decent output then the ones you want are D1S Osram Xenarc 5500k Cool Blue Intense:

http://www.osram.com...uctId=ZMP_85015

Color temperature 5500 K
Luminous flux 3200 lm
Nominal luminous flux 3200 lm

They're not cheap though, £100 a pair most places although I have a source for them at £70 a pair posted. Phillips also make a 5000k with decent output but forget about cheap £20-30 eBay ones, they're cheap for a reason, the quality is very poor and they perform way worse than the standard bulbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts