Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read this months edition, there are 2 cars with exactly the same mods (rob ottewill and charlotte crook) one of the cars makes 23bhp, 26lb ft torque more than the other,how can that be?

Also the tester states that some of the cars are running rich, mixture is wrong or fuelling is losing bhp, how would you solve these issues?

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
The OP wasn't talking about differences between different dynos.

If you are saying it's the dyno's fault that 2 cars several years apart in age, history and mileage run different figures when ran on the same day and proves it's all random then fine.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Just read this months edition, there are 2 cars with exactly the same mods (rob ottewill and charlotte crook) one of the cars makes 23bhp, 26lb ft torque more than the other,how can that be?

Also the tester states that some of the cars are running rich, mixture is wrong or fuelling is losing bhp, how would you solve these issues?
not all cars are the same, how many miles its done etc etc, my car made 240 standard on the day and another standard one with half the miles only made 228 standard, its all a lottery when it comes to RR days

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
How reliable are they, or shud u take the figures with a pinch of salt?
I have had my car on a rr three times now, same map and mods on first two, 1st time my car made 267 bhp and 315 lbft then new maf, same rr a few months later, it made 307bhp and 376 lbft. Then changed map from pumabuild to DS mod c and only made 281 bhp and 355 lbft.

The first two were at surrey rr, the last one was at Rick woods.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I have had my car on a rr three times now, same map and mods on first two, 1st time my car made 267 bhp and 315 lbft then new maf, same rr a few months later, it made 307bhp and 376 lbft. Then changed map from pumabuild to DS mod c and only made 281 bhp and 355 lbft.

The first two were at surrey rr, the last one was at Rick woods.
That is absolutely crazy! Kind of proves my point of being fairly random! Does the car feel better on mod c than the PB map?? Why did you change?

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
That is absolutely crazy! Kind of proves my point of being fairly random! Does the car feel better on mod c than the PB map?? Why did you change?
I just wanted to try it tbh, no other reason. I think mod c is a little bit smoother with a bit more low down grunt.

I now have a decat and straight through center pipe, so I'm prob down to about 250 bhp now.

I know i won't be taking any other rr i do too seriously.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
There are loads of variables, just because two cars run the same mods doesn't follow that they will produce same power. Something as small as an electronic sensor having a spaz could loose you 50bhp if it's not feeding the right info back to the ECU. Most cars got simliar results, the ones that where down (myself included) will prob find there is a mechanical/electrical reason for this.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Rob doesn't mention having a downpipe, that could make the difference between the results?... It is a lottery and I wasn't expecting to get 300bhp, there are so many variables that can affect the results simple things like the fuel (I'm using vpower) tyre pressure, tread left on tyres, running the car warm/cold.

As others have said, even with exactly the same mods, every car is still different

The car has been on rollers stadard and made 191bhp one week (run at 36 degrees!) and the following week on another set of rollers 218bhp... Therefore found over 20bhp from nowhere within a week

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
As mentioned by Rick , my car had a huge leap on the rr with a new maf, as with all rr days there are winners and loosers.

It's all good fun and will always have non believers!

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
I personally believe it was the bestest, most accuratist RR ever, with precise figures being achieved that MUST be taken as gospel.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Hit and miss with these things. I had mine done at TOTD and got 248bhp and 265ft/lb. then at surrey RR I got 233bhp with 267Ft/Lb. car is standard.

Les

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
there could of been 23bhp and 26ftlb torque between the 2 car's form standard. all engines are different. you could get 10 st's and put them all on rollers and none will be the same

1 - 20 of 20 Posts