Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening,

It pains me to type this message again... but its that time of year again where people get money for xmas and others sell bits off their car to fund xmas etc etc...
always a buyer and a sellers market

With this in mind! It's not always good news!!! and there's not always a trusted face at the other end of the transaction!!!

Let this be a warning to ANYONE paying for goods or services via Paypal 'GIFT' Service. This service is exactly that! For Gifting Cash!

If you act in this way to save the seller a few quid on his fee's - Then look out for the potential disappointment which comes with that. Paypal will not refund you something which you have 'Gifted' and really the police will not either.

If paying for goods and services, we ALWAYS recommend using the normal Paypal method for paying for goods / services and as an insurance (if the buyer is moaning about fee's) - offer to split them 50/50 if its that much of an issue, but most will advertise their product so the fee's are covered through transacting normally.

Please let this message sink home that you are not covered if you pay via Gift service and should be wary of anyone who even suggests it!

Have a happy Christmas All!

& keep your transactions safe

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
and should be wary of anyone who even suggests it!
I have to disagree with you on this one Marc, what an Idiotic statement to make!!

I only accept gift payments on items unless the buyer wants to pay ALL the fee.
I have met loads of members of this forum and several staff members and all of whom would say I am a genuine member of this forum and not here to rip anyone off.

i'm not saying that everyone will be genuine (hope they are though) but that was a rather bold statement to make!! Just goes to show what you think of the members that make this forum what it is!!!

A rather
off,

Darren.

·
Administrator
12,104 Posts
Darren, step away from the keyboard for a moment!!

If you recieved the number of pms that we do from members with issues after having bought something and used Paypal 'GIFT' Service to pay for it and the items not arrive/been faulty/been fake/got lost in the post/not what they thought etc etc etc you would appreciate why we issue this warning from time to time.

Obviously every member can make their own "risk assessment" and if they're happy to pay over the money knowing that they will have absolutely no recourse in the event that anything goes wrong then who are we to suggest otherwise.

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
I can see both Daz's point of view and the staff on the forums who no doubt get complaints about other members.

I guess the answer is for sellers to offer two different prices, one for cash on collection and a separate price including PayPal fees and postage if required.

The buyer and seller then have to agree between them.

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
I can definitely see both sides of the story. I wouldn't have an issue sending a payment via gift to some of the more well-known members on here (Ade's GBs for example), however I would never gift payment to someone who didn't have the same kind of forum presence.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
I have made and recieved payments on the site all be it from very respected members via PayPal gift and it may just be that they are very honest people but I have had no problems at all with the items I purchased and sold.

I understand both sides and there can and will be certain people who would happily take your money and do a runner I am just going by my experience with the members I have made purchases from and sold to.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
People I know or trust I gift because it keeps things simple and stop paypal banging charges on.

For example if an established member in here was arranging a meet with some costs involved. Gifting would seem appropriate. If I was buying from someone I knew I would gift for payment. Strangers of course not...

Common sense is the key here I think.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
I have to disagree with you on this one Marc, what an Idiotic statement to make!!

I only accept gift payments on items unless the buyer wants to pay ALL the fee.
I have met loads of members of this forum and several staff members and all of whom would say I am a genuine member of this forum and not here to rip anyone off.

i'm not saying that everyone will be genuine (hope they are though) but that was a rather bold statement to make!! Just goes to show what you think of the members that make this forum what it is!!!

A rather
off,

Darren.
Hi Darren,

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and perhaps in hind-sight on re-read my post may come across a tad firm. Really what we are trying to deliver here is a stark message and sometimes it takes a bit of honesty to get that point across.

My point still stands though, if you are buying something from here, there or anywhere and choose to use a service specifically for 'gifting' sums of cash. That risk is entirely up to you (or less specifically the 'buyer').

Regards your point ; "Just goes to show what you think of the members that make this forum what it is" <---- all it takes is for one Scammer to sign up to any internet forum (pay their membership fee) and ask for someone to pay for goods which don't exist via Paypal Gift service. That person (Seller) can then run off with several people's cash in a very short space of time!!!

Internet forums are good for that and this further reiterates my point that people should be less frivolous with their choice of Paypal method of payment !

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
i was very cautious re a group buy a few months back for drying towels, as it happened it was only about £10 so I took the risk and it all worked out fine but be careful if you are spending a few more than £10

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
Weve had a few bad experiences in recent years and Marcs advice would have avoided all of it.

All we can do is advise, but were still asked to step in when things go wrong.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,591 Posts
You'd be surprised how often we receive allegations of sharp practice.
Having said that, this is advice, not an instruction. You are perfectly free to ignore it if you wish.

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
You'd be surprised how often we receive allegations of sharp practice.
Having said that, this is advice, not an instruction. You are perfectly free to ignore it if you wish.
As I imagine many will, and still come crying when things go wrong

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
As I imagine many will, and still come crying when things go wrong
Indeed they do Martin, ........frequently!
We just want to advise / remind members to use some common sense / have their wits about them, when purchasing items online,
As 99.9% of the time there is absolutely nothing we can do to help & we dont like seeing you being ripped off, anymore than YOU like being ripped off !

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well unless I now and trust the individual I will only give PayPal payments as goods if the seller is whining about the fees just add on the 3.8% or what ever it is then send the amended amount then everybody should be happy if they are not and are insisting on payment as gift then walk away because there should be no possible reason they should not be happy with the fees being added, been ripped off before and sure as hell ain't letting it happen again, stay safe

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts