Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Parcel Shelf Noise

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Trist 
#1 ·
My parcel shelf is rattling when going over uneven roads. Anyone else had this problem and fixed it?

Also read on here that someone tightened up their rear seat belt mechanism, how do you do that? Full off that thick foam on the side?

#2 ·
Hi mate, are you sure it's the parcel shelf that's making the noise? I had some repair work done last February by my local Ford dealer, and ever since I've had a rattling sound from the rear end. Could have sworn it was the parcel shelf, but it turned out to be the boot latch. I only found out about two weeks ago after applying a little grease to the boot latch mechanism. Actually it turned out to be the rubber pieces on the bottom of the latch mechanism that was making the noise. After applying some grease to the rubber pieces, the sound has completely gone.

You may want to try that first.

I'll try to take a picture tomorrow of where I applied the grease.

Ian.

#3 ·
i had the same noise, and as above it turned out to be the boot latch, but after putting some grease on the rubber bits it still hadn't gone, i had to adjust the boot latch to it pulled the boot shut tighter, maybe try that if it doesn't stop it. hope this helps

#7 ·
I found my rattle after 3 months, it was the rubbers on the boot latch, sprayed these with WD40 and sorted

Previously i'd removed every bit of trim in the tailgate and boot sides, wrapped everything with velcro, stuck anything that moved with duck tape all to no avail

pics of bits to spray arrowed

#8 ·
QUOTE(robbyvrs @ 7 Feb 2010, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I found my rattle after 3 months, it was the rubbers on the boot latch, sprayed these with WD40 and sorted

Previously i'd removed every bit of trim in the tailgate and boot sides, wrapped everything with velcro, stuck anything that moved with duck tape all to no avail

pics of bits to spray arrowed

Goes off to find the WD40.... will report back the squeak is driving me mad, I thought it was the parcel shelf to.

Will report back

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.