Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Go for Pipercross or K&N.

Depends if you want cotton/paper, oiled or not oil.

Personally I'd go K&N.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The only mod I had on my car was a K and N panel filter. I recently took it out and cannot notice any difference. It saves me about £50 a year on my insurance too now as it needed to be declared. It would probably only be noticable if you had other mods or scrimped on servicing and didnt change the std air filter regualrly, which I don't

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I'm sure the air box and standard paper filter can flow enough air for 300bhp. Ive seen Morego's 350BHP uses the K&N panel filter and inlet spacer, no CAIS.

So unsure if it worth investing in a performance panel filter to be honest. (for 2bhp, this is what they saw when testing their ecu spacer + 10bhp for ES)

Then Mountune tried the spacer during developement of the 260 kit and said it didn't produce any gains, so who knows.

But why have Mountune used the K&N panel filter if it produces so little gains?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I think it just releases more air flow.
The airbox itself is the restriction, not the filter. The restriction is after the filter and already lets through the maximum amount of air. You could run without a filter and still get the same flow.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The airbox itself is the restriction, not the filter. The restriction is after the filter and already lets through the maximum amount of air. You could run without a filter and still get the same flow.
Hmmm I'm considering putting my standard air box back in with a K&N filer. Got the K&N cais at the mo but I think the maf is playing up (probably not helped by the fact I removed the passenger fog light to let more air in...). I'm running all the stage 3 mods with mod x. You think the standard air box+K&N filter will be ok?

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Hmmm I'm considering putting my standard air box back in with a K&N filer. Got the K&N cais at the mo but I think the maf is playing up (probably not helped by the fact I removed the passenger fog light to let more air in...). I'm running all the stage 3 mods with mod x. You think the standard air box+K&N filter will be ok?
If Morego use the standard airbox and performance filter for a 350bhp conversion then i reckon you'll be fine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have just fitted a K+N panel filter today. I could notice the difference compared to that giant sponge which was there before. Some friends have said k+N will damage my MAF as the oil breaks it.I'm not convinced as I researched a lot of the upgrade packages and they use the filter up to and past 300bhp so I say it's win win all round.

·
Registered
832 Posts
ive used K+N on my last 3 cars, in my st170 i lost 3 seconds from 60-90 mph on the same day in the same gear, that was timed with a stop watch, TBH i didnt expect such a difference but thats what i got, so ive swapped for K+N on all my cars since.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts