Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hello,

I am not sure if this is a stupid question but in the eyes of the law and most importantly insureance companies, do panel filters count as a modification? If so I would assume you have to declare this to the insurer?

Am I right in thniking this?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
QUOTE(lewis991 @ 17 Jan 2010, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello,

I am not sure if this is a stupid question but in the eyes of the law and most importantly insureance companies, do panel filters count as a modification? If so I would assume you have to declare this to the insurer?

Thanks

Insurers will try anything to get out of a payout, so not declaring an upgraded part is silly in my opinion.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
QUOTE(lewis991 @ 17 Jan 2010, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello,

Thanks

Yes you should declare them however as they fit inside the standard air box it is unlikely they would ever check/find out even if you had a bump/claim but the risk is still there.

You could of course declare it a a reuseable air filter that does not improve the performance of the car. Despite what any of the dealers or manufacturers say, any increase would be negligable, a couple of bhp at most-similar to what extra performance you may get with say v-power or new plugs, better oil, different tyres etc.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I will give them a ring in the morning and tell them, see what they say. Would an insureance company write your insurance off if they found a reusable filter in the car?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Wouldn't like to say but better to be safe than sorry. Doubt it'd cost much more (if anything at all) to add the panel filter although they may sting you for an admin fee if your mid insurance period.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hopefully they wont, just renewed the poilcy in December, they may just charge an admin fee as I will have to be issued a new certifcate.

I am with Bell (Admiral group), think they are fairly good with mods?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Shouldn't need a new certificate as long as they have it noted down against your policy.
If you were planning on doing any other mods then it would probably work out cheaper to declare them all together.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Had my panel filter in with my last insurer and didnt tell them, anyone could of put a panel filter in! But just changed and a vaguely declared that it has K&Ns on it as I will prob put a full K&N induction kit on anyway.

Shouldnt cost much but some insurers call operators just find some computerised option to add, so it may cost extra. My springs with my last insurer added 130 to the annual policy with the first guy I spoke to , and 96 with the second (because it cost less than 250 to do).

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the repilies, panel filter is on its way
Rang up insurance company and they declared it as a modification, cost me £25 as they have got to send out new certifcate with it on there.

Also if i lower the car which will happen soon it will cost and extra £36 which i dont think is too bad considering my age and car?

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(lewis991 @ 18 Jan 2010, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the repilies, panel filter is on its way
Rang up insurance company and they declared it as a modification, cost me £25 as they have got to send out new certifcate with it on there.

Also if i lower the car which will happen soon it will cost and extra £36 which i dont think is too bad considering my age and car?

Very sensible.

All mods that change the look or performance of your vehicle should be declared to insurers as they do have an effect on risk. Many insurers overlook certain cosmetic changes but it is at your peril to not declare.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah its started, never moded a car before and would like to do it, so might as well get started as the ST seems like a good choice.... Will have to wait until october until i can do power upgrades as will change insurance to get cheaper, as bell arent that good on the mod side of things.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.