Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Some of you may know that ukcarcare-ste is a fully trained body repair guy.

we are thinking of offering up a part exchange parts spraying service for focus st parts

things like interior trim spraying, radio surrounds, vent surrounds, ashtray lids, under the bonnet stuff, alloy repairs, custom front grills , fog surrounds , rear defusers

all this done via an exchange basis so your not left with parts off your car for a period of time , you send us yours along with a payment for the work and we send one back the same day in the colour you requested.

just thought i would ask see what you guy thought and if its worth us offering you guy's steves services..

as always comment, abuse and ideas welcome.

thanks all.

EDIT FOR AN UPDATE:-

We have done the prices for the fog inserts and the surrounds of the fogs Painted in the colour of your choice

The buy out right price would be £160+ Delivery
To exchange it would be £100+ Delivery (Surcharge may apply)
this works out at £25 a unit.

and for the silver surround that goes around the above parts

To buy them painted it would be £120+ postage
To exchange it would be £85+ postage

This price is for all 4 Fronts and backs.

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,228 Posts
I think that this is a good idea and it has legs. However, the price will be critical as will the quality. I have painted grilles and fog surrounds front and back. I bought them from a member on here as he was selling up and they were professionally painted. They looked great. Sad to say that the two severe Winters we had (not counting this year) have caused the paint to start peeling in various places and they really need re-doing. The rear ones are OK, the front fog surrounds are just about OK although they have started peeling, and the upper grille is not as bad as the lower one. My local bodyshop said he could not really do all of the items for under £200 and the release agent used to allow the plastics to be removed from the moulds easily prevents the primer from getting a good key so it is inevitable that sooner or later it will happen again.

However, being the eternal optomist I'd be interested in the service if the price was good and the finish will last for a reasonable time. I don't expect a painted surface to be perfect for ever, but if the car is to be kept for any length of time the Zunsport option would maybe be better value rather than (say) two or three re-sprays.

One other thing occurs to me. Most people on here go for gloss or matt black. I have Ford Magnum Grey which looks really good, better than black in my view, and I'd want to retain it. The paint is, of course available from Ford or paint retailers, but would you be able to use a colour of choice rather than just boring old black?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that this is a good idea and it has legs. However, the price will be critical as will the quality. I have painted grilles and fog surrounds front and back. I bought them from a member on here as he was selling up and they were professionally painted. They looked great. Sad to say that the two severe Winters we had (not counting this year) have caused the paint to start peeling in various places and they really need re-doing. The rear ones are OK, the front fog surrounds are just about OK although they have started peeling, and the upper grille is not as bad as the lower one. My local bodyshop said he could not really do all of the items for under £200 and the release agent used to allow the plastics to be removed from the moulds easily prevents the primer from getting a good key so it is inevitable that sooner or later it will happen again.

However, being the eternal optomist I'd be interested in the service if the price was good and the finish will last for a reasonable time. I don't expect a painted surface to be perfect for ever, but if the car is to be kept for any length of time the Zunsport option would maybe be better value rather than (say) two or three re-sprays.

One other thing occurs to me. Most people on here go for gloss or matt black. I have Ford Magnum Grey which looks really good, better than black in my view, and I'd want to retain it. The paint is, of course available from Ford or paint retailers, but would you be able to use a colour of choice rather than just boring old black?
as for the technical stuff , how long it should last on the car ect, i am sure steve will answer this,

at the moment this is just an idea, ukcarcare currently has all the gear to get going including booth and spray equipment.

we will be able to spray ANY colour as long as you supply us with a paint code we can mix it.

I also think we should get some samples done for people to look at to show the quality of the work. the finish using a booth and a good spray gun is superb.

the grill we were thinking of doing is the popular full front grille like the zunsport.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
as for the technical stuff , how long it should last on the car ect, i am sure steve will answer this,

at the moment this is just an idea, ukcarcare currently has all the gear to get going including booth and spray equipment.

we will be able to spray ANY colour as long as you supply us with a paint code we can mix it.

I also think we should get some samples done for people to look at to show the quality of the work. the finish using a booth and a good spray gun is superb.

the grill we were thinking of doing is the popular full front grille like the zunsport.
Would it be the stand alone zunsport grill we're waiting for or their current clip on version ?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We were thinking of making one as a replacement for the origional, same sort of style but the full grille,

were open to ideas a suggestions,

·
Registered
180 Posts
All painted components that have been prepared correctly should last just as long as all of the other painted plastics on your car.

There are of course situations which may make this hard to achieve.

Stone chips are a major cause of lacquer peel so those in high impact areas need to be well lacquered to help reduce this risk.

Second hand parts often have massive traces of silicone which should be fully remover prior to painting.

The use of the correct primer to enable the base and lacquer to expand and contract with the changing temperatures is also important as well as achieving a good key to the plastic.

All our processes include the use of anti silicones and plastic primers to produce the best finish possible.

As Scott says, any colour is possible!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also ,

what would you guys expect to pay for e.g

a pair of pre-facelift front fogs preped and painted to your choice ? exchange ? or to buy ?

same for the rear's ?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Come on guys,

Give us an idea of what you'd expect to pay for this service.

We need to know if this is a viable service to offer you as time and paint costs need to be factored in.

Remember its an exchange basis so we send a painted item to you and you send us yours.

We can do:

Dash fascias
Fog lamp surrounds front and rear
Possible grilles

Your thoughts on pricing would be much appreciated as we are almost ready to roll on this one.

Cheers for reading

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Come on guys,

Give us an idea of what you'd expect to pay for this service.

We need to know if this is a viable service to offer you as time and paint costs need to be factored in.

Remember its an exchange basis so we send a painted item to you and you send us yours.

We can do:

Dash fascias
Fog lamp surrounds front and rear
Possible grilles

Your thoughts on pricing would be much appreciated as we are almost ready to roll on this one.

Cheers for reading
Id be interested on fog surrounds painted but havent a clue about costs?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Gloss black? That would look cool!

Wouldn't be a problem. We can do any colour!
We're currently doing some Frozen white ones for another customer.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'll price it both ways.

New units gloss black. Just a straight purchase so you can keep your originals.

And

New units gloss black exchange.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
40 quid per pair seems reasonable to me. Obviously I aren't in the business etc. that's just what I envisage it costing.

Grills
100 quid for the pair.

(Exchange service)

I did mine with a ream of wet and dry paper to smooth, plastic primer, gloss base and clear coat.
Obviously these were rattle cans, so more expensive, but I'd say I probably spent around 30 quid in paint and sandpaper.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts