Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting some eibachs delivered this week, another member is getting them at same time and we're going to self-fit them. Can they be painted with caliper paint maybe?? or will it crack and peel when the spring is compressed?

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
The obvious first question is, "why?"

However, that aside, I wouldn't do it with caliper paint. No need for it to be heat resistant.

As you have said, the danger is peeling and cracking as the spring compresses. As such, you would want to use some sort of rubber/flexible paint.

But frankly, I just wouldn't do it - full stop.

Can't put my finger on it, but painting the springs just triggers my "bad idea" mode.........

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just floating an idea around thats all.
It wasnt even my idea, it was xxbazzaxx's so blast him!

I was just asking as I think it might actually look quite good, he has a red on black theme going on, wanting red springs. Im not even sure if you can see the springs when they are fitted without really looking for them.

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
Just floating an idea around thats all.
It wasnt even my idea, it was xxbazzaxx's so blast him!

I was just asking as I think it might actually look quite good, he has a red on black theme going on, wanting red springs. Im not even sure if you can see the springs when they are fitted without really looking for them.
Sorry - wasn't blasting.

Well - not intentionally.

Be interested to know what the outcome is if you do it - but personally I'd leave them alone. Like I say, it just gives me the willies thinking about it.....

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No probs mate, I wouldnt be
to paint them anyway! Any thoughts on my other painting request. See new posts for the intercooler thread.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Think powder-coating is an option, I'd wonder if aftermarket springs are painted this way and i'm sure people have done it this way when customising springs on bike rear shocks and the like.

Think it'd be hard to see the end result once on the car.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
troys correct powder coating ,had some done for motorcycles ive had and came out good and lasted untill the day i sold the bike/bikes without any issues .

·
Registered
477 Posts
Getting some eibachs delivered this week, another member is getting them at same time and we're going to self-fit them. Can they be painted with caliper paint maybe?? or will it crack and peel when the spring is compressed?
I think someone has had paint as a pressy

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think someone has had paint as a pressy
Oh I see..it's like that is it.. everyone talking about me while I'm out at work!

It was just a thought I had but I was only gonna do it if it was really easy to do and didn't throw up any complications.
In hindsight it seems like far too much hassle..!

I think you're probably right though, they aren't that visible so the effect won't be quite what I had in my head

If that's the case then why do things like ARB's and brake pipes etc come in different colours, if they are under the car and not visible?

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
If that's the case then why do things like ARB's and brake pipes etc come in different colours, if they are under the car and not visible?
In the case of ARB's some people do probably like to show off the underneath of their cars at shows etc, plus suppliers painting their bars different colours can sometimes make their products more noticable or fit in with their branding. With bike suspension for example it's possible to identify rear shocks from some of the major players just by the colour of the springs they fit.

Coloured brake lines can sometimes be seen through the spokes of wheels depending on spoke patterns etc they're not usually totally hidden under the car.

PS who's turned all the text orange?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have thought about doing this and getting them powder coated either silver or orange. Don't know if it will look good or really really
I don't think powder coating springs is a good idea Trys....spring rates are set by heating the coils/wire to get the correct rate, so I suspect you may risk altering them when the powder coating is baked. I've heard that this is why you should never powder coat forged wheels for similar reasons (ST wheels are fine though). I think most 'cold' paints will be flexible enough to stay on for a while, but springs do tend to suffer surface rusting anyway, so not sure how long it would last!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts