Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I been doing a bit of searching on this and the general consensus seems to be that the OEM pads are adequate? I hope to be doing 5/6 track days a year. Will I stick with OEM or what do people suggest.

Prices..... The car is in with main dealer who have quoted

€175 front
€140 rear
€70 fluid change.

Seems very pricey. How are the pads alone, may do them myself.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(walshy123 @ 28 Jan 2010, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey guysI been doing a bit of searching on this and the general consensus seems to be that the OEM pads are adequate? I hope to be doing 5/6 track days a year. Will I stick with OEM or what do people suggest.Prices..... The car is in with main dealer who have quoted€175 front€140 rear€70 fluid change.Seems very pricey. How are the pads alone, may do them myself.
I found the original Ford pads were well up to the job but were wearing out a bit quick! You should be able to buy them a lot cheaper than the prices quoted though! Look to pay about £35 for rears and £45 for fronts at the most! Ive just fitted the cheapy rear discs and pads from Camskill that were about £70 for the whole set and seem ok so far although i havent tried them in earnest yet! Fronts are an easy job to change rears are a bit harder but not that bad and easy if you buy the wind back tool for about £30 off e bay! £70 to change the brake fluid is outrageous! Use a DOT 5.1 fluid and do it yourself! Halfords own is about £12 a litre! This will improve the fade resistance of the standard set up immensely! Also replace the discs at the same time if they are looking worn or cut up as these will eat new pads! A lot of people have recommended the Ferodo pads but ive not tried these! Steer clear of anything by Mintex or EBC as these will eat your discs and boil even DOT 5.1 fluid! Hope that helps!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(fishface31a @ 28 Jan 2010, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I found the original Ford pads were well up to the job but were wearing out a bit quick! You should be able to buy them a lot cheaper than the prices quoted though! Look to pay about £35 for rears and £45 for fronts at the most! Ive just fitted the cheapy rear discs and pads from Camskill that were about £70 for the whole set and seem ok so far although i havent tried them in earnest yet! Fronts are an easy job to change rears are a bit harder but not that bad and easy if you buy the wind back tool for about £30 off e bay! £70 to change the brake fluid is outrageous! Use a DOT 5.1 fluid and do it yourself! Halfords own is about £12 a litre! This will improve the fade resistance of the standard set up immensely! Also replace the discs at the same time if they are looking worn or cut up as these will eat new pads! A lot of people have recommended the Ferodo pads but ive not tried these! Steer clear of anything by Mintex or EBC as these will eat your discs and boil even DOT 5.1 fluid! Hope that helps!

cheers for the comprehensive reply. the prices I quoted are in Euro, so a little bit cheaper, but still pretty pricey. I had Mintex 1144's on the last car (vx220) and they were great, no fade, but i guess the focus is alot heavier. will search for the ferodo, but they are pretty expensive last time i looked at them.

I must invest in a bleed kit.

oh, how much brake fluid do i need?

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
I took off a part worn set of Mintex 1144's and fitted the Ferodos to my ST. The Mintex squealed and weren't sweeping as much of the disc as the standard pads leaving a second lip which would need machining off the discs if I wanted to refit standard pads.

The Ferodo's were pricey but work great and are wearing well too.

For changing the front brakes there should be a How-To pinned in the Wheels, Tyres etc section

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(walshy123 @ 28 Jan 2010, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>cheers for the comprehensive reply. the prices I quoted are in Euro, so a little bit cheaper, but still pretty pricey. I had Mintex 1144's on the last car (vx220) and they were great, no fade, but i guess the focus is alot heavier. will search for the ferodo, but they are pretty expensive last time i looked at them.I must invest in a bleed kit.oh, how much brake fluid do i need?
1 litre should do it no worries! The Eeezibleed kit is ideal for doing the ST as it fills the master cylinder for you without having to take the scuttle panel off!
QUOTE(troy45 @ 28 Jan 2010, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For changing the front brakes there should be a How-To pinned in the Wheels, Tyres etc section
Didnt you do one on the rears too Troy?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(troy45 @ 28 Jan 2010, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I took off a part worn set of Mintex 1144's and fitted the Ferodos to my ST. The Mintex squealed and weren't sweeping as much of the disc as the standard pads leaving a second lip which would need machining off the discs if I wanted to refit standard pads.The Ferodo's were pricey but work great and are wearing well too.For changing the front brakes there should be a How-To pinned in the Wheels, Tyres etc section
how much mate? and what model/spec did you go for?are they much better than OEM?aye, i spotted the how toQUOTE(fishface31a @ 28 Jan 2010, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1 litre should do it no worries! The Eeezibleed kit is ideal for doing the ST as it fills the master cylinder for you without having to take the scuttle panel off!whats that?!

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(walshy123 @ 28 Jan 2010, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Whats that?!

The plastic bit under the wipers! The master cylinder is really close to it and its difficult to refill it with fluid if you arent using an Eezibleed! The wipers have to come off too!

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(fishface31a @ 28 Jan 2010, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Didnt you do one on the rears too Troy?

Not as such mate, I think I just put in a description of what to do piggy-backed onto your original post on changing the front pads. Long long time ago

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I had the ferrodo pads fitted at profile last saturday and im liking them so far,although havnt really tested them properly yet

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(GHST @ 28 Jan 2010, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had the ferrodo pads fitted at profile last saturday and im liking them so far,although havnt really tested them properly yet

what spec are they? ds2500? how much?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts