Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
2015 (65) ST-2 TDCi 185ps Estate in Deep Impact Blue
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Focus Mk3.5 2015 Diesel Estate.
Had been getting this error intermittently since Nov / Dec 21, causing the Engine Management Light to come on, was able to reset the OBD / PCM Error with OBD reader and Forscan via Laptop, but kept coming back every few weeks or several hundred miles.
Did a journey a few weeks back, with live data readings for the DPF with Forscan, was able to observe that intermittently the DP_DPF reading would suddenly spike to around 85 kpa when all other readings remained fairly level.
Decided it was likely to be a dodgy DPF Differential Pressure Sensor, so ordered a new Ford Original part and fitted last weekend, fault then went to a permanent state, the P2455 error and EML would come on almost immediately after a reset. Upon monitoring live data with Forscan I was able to see that the DP_DPF reading was constantly around 85 kpa.
After a bit more research online and on this Forum, I found a similar posting with the same issue where the issue was fixed by Ford after finding a broken wire in the loom from the DPF Differential Pressure Sensor.
With this in mind I set about stripping back the loom from the sensor in my car today, low and behold I found a broken wire. I removed the complete Air Filter / Box assembly, Battery and Battery Tray for ease of access to the DPF Sensor and wiring loom around it. Probably could have resolved the problem without removing them, but didn't take that long to remove these bits, and definitely helped me with access to the loom.
Light Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Automotive tire

As you can see the White / Blue wire clearly broken right at the point where the these 3 wires for the DPF Differential Pressure Sensor separate from the larger section of the the loom. Was easily able to find the other end of the White / Blue wire after stripping back a bit more of the larger section of the loom. Soldered the ends back together.
Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Wrapped it all back up with insulating tape and the black plastic ribbed tubing. I decided to re-route this section of the loom as it was a pretty tight fit to the DPF Sensor from it's original position, which probably contributed to the wire breaking. All back together.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Vehicle

Cleared the DTC codes with Forscan, took the car out for a 30 min drive whilst monitoring the live data with Forscan, DP_DPF readings now back to around 1 kpa at idle and rising steadily in line with engine RPM, also able to see that the car went into DPF Regen as the soot level was around 90% at the start of the journey and had fallen back to around 10% by the end.

Very happy that I've managed to fix this myself with the help of postings on here and other forums online, has probably saved me a fortune in garage costs of taking it to Ford, and with the MOT coming up in the next few weeks, it was something that needed sorting, as the EML being on would definitely have been a MOT failure.

· Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good repair although I'd recommend heat shrink tubing over electrical tape (y)
Agreed, I'd normally use heat shrink tubing for such jobs, but time and weather was against me at the time, and I couldn't find my stash of heat shrink, I may re-do it in the future so it's a neater job. Just happy to get it sorted for now, one less concern for the upcoming MOT.

· Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's the original posting from @DavLinz2011 where I got the idea for checking the wiring loom from the sensor, so credit where it's due for the information in that post for steering me in the right direction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.