Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says really, I want to overclock the CPU on my PC, its an E4500 Dual Core Pentium 4, the machine is a Packard Bell with a Foxconn motherboard. In the BIOS I can see the adjustment for the multiplier but its greyed out...

Is there anyway to override this or to overclock within Windows Vista? I have done as much research as I can and cannot find any real answers or programs!

It has 2GB of ram (max it can take) and I recently bought a 570W PSU (only 225W standard
) to power the ATI Radeon 4850 I bought.

It runs quite well but I have run 3D Mark on it and on the CPU test it fails miserably lol so thought I would give it a go - any helps appreciated

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
You won't be able to unlock the multiplier upwards with that processor (IIRC), so you'll need to OC via the FSB speed.

Make sure your memory can take the speeds as well!

I usually start by dropping the multiplier down way low, and then increase the FSB by 10MHz at a time, followed by Memtestx86 for a few loops to prove the memory.

Once you've established how high the memory can go, you can return the multiplier to normal, and gradually creep up the CPU speed via the FSB again.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I guess its probably best to leave it atm - I can't overclock threw the BIOS because of the board so best to leave it methinks as I can't find any software thats simple and easy lol

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Sometimes there is a setting which is set to AUTO as default as was the case with mine, I had to set it to MANUAL and then it let me change the FSB. Im currently attempting to reach 4ghz temps allowing. Ive been running a stable 3.8ghz intel quad core for the last few weeks so may up it again later on today. Its a 3ghz standard so i had to watercool it to get that high. Remember to always keep an eye on your temps. To work out your clock speed from your FSB you need to find out you CPU multiplyer, this can usually be found in your bios and then use this formula.

FSB divided by the amount of cores then multiply by the cpu multiplyer = Clock speed.
For example mine worked out as 1700 divide by 4 multiplied by 9 = 3825 or 3.825ghz.

Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts