Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi just joined, who has the answer to my question? my cat is breaking up from the inside, mot due in a couple of months, no money, can't justify paying ford prices for a new cat, and i don't want to replace with a 'boy racer' full exhaust anyone got any sensible suggestions?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
QUOTE(gary8 @ 30 Jan 2010, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi just joined, who has the answer to my question? my cat is breaking up from the inside, mot due in a couple of months, no money, can't justify paying ford prices for a new cat, and i don't want to replace with a 'boy racer' full exhaust anyone got any sensible suggestions?

Ok, so you dont want to buy an original one OR an aftermarket one? I'm stumped!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Buy a second hand cat, there are plenty ST's breaking on ebay.

Beware - leaving the old cat on too long will block the centre and rear boxes with debris from the monolith inside the cat.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Sounds like it is going to have to be a cat replacement. Although I'd suggest your friendly local garage confirm this if you haven't had it confirmed already - perhaps even take it to the MOT garage and ask them to put it on the CO2 machine.

If it does need a replacement then you have three possbible choices (unless anyone else knows of another suggestion) ...
1) Ford replacement cat - typically about 600cpi - costly
2) aftermarket replacement cat - either 100 or 200 cpi - not as costly and you get some performance gains
3) go second hand - which could be a standard one or sports cat. Several members have exhaust bits in the for sale section on here - in fact, one chap selling an unused sports cat (incl. downpipe).

You can do any of the above without going the full down pipe, cat replacement and cat back but you'll find a fair few members go this route anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(DaveCHCI @ 30 Jan 2010, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok, so you dont want to buy an original one OR an aftermarket one? I'm stumped!

I guess what i'm after is a original one, but stainless, posibly losing the cat, or a complete system but stainless, but i don't want to sound like a boy racer, i'm new to all this, and as stated, money ain't free flowing at the moment, haven't seen any on ebay

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
QUOTE(gary8 @ 30 Jan 2010, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I guess what i'm after is a original one, but stainless, posibly losing the cat, or a complete system but stainless, but i don't want to sound like a boy racer, i'm new to all this, and as stated, money ain't free flowing at the moment, haven't seen any on ebay

You will be looking for breakers on ebay and email them for a price on the cat.Ebay breaking ST

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
There is cars breaking on ebay, you will have to email them to ask about the cat, if you remove the cat and fit a decat your car will not pass an MOT test am afraid.

If cash is not free flowing, then go down the second hand cat route.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(MST @ 30 Jan 2010, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sounds like it is going to have to be a cat replacement. Although I'd suggest your friendly local garage confirm this if you haven't had it confirmed already - perhaps even take it to the MOT garage and ask them to put it on the CO2 machine.

If it does need a replacement then you have three possbible choices (unless anyone else knows of another suggestion) ...
1) Ford replacement cat - typically about 600cpi - costly
2) aftermarket replacement cat - either 100 or 200 cpi - not as costly and you get some performance gains
3) go second hand - which could be a standard one or sports cat. Several members have exhaust bits in the for sale section on here - in fact, one chap selling an unused sports cat (incl. downpipe).

You can do any of the above without going the full down pipe, cat replacement and cat back but you'll find a fair few members go this route anyway.

thanks mate, its starting to become more 'reaceable now, while your here, what about bringing down my insurance from £460?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
QUOTE(gary8 @ 30 Jan 2010, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thanks mate, its starting to become more 'reaceable now, while your here, what about bringing down my insurance from £460?

Not trying to be rude or anything but you've had alot of info for free. Most people here have had to pay the £10 membership fee to get the info you have received tonight. As you can see the £10 is more than worth it mate and you get afew goodies too
. Also by being a member you would be able to view the sponsors section which does have afew good car insurance companys to choose from with club discounts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
There are some insurance site sponsors who you may wish to contact. I forget which forums are and are not accessible to you at the minute so I would suggest spending the £10 and signing up to get access to them all. You will probably find that the tuning sponsors will offer a club discount on a sports cat (if you go that route) which will possibly save you more than your tenner. However, you may find a better discount on a full system which means a more expensive outlay at this time but definitely worth it in the long run ... and there are some exhausts that don't sound like the boy racer.

If money is very tight at the minute then the breakers option is probably the way to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.