Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As topic title - an oily stain is gradually appearing from behind the OSF wheel centre cap.

I've noticed in recent months the sound of what I thought was a noisy wheelbearing. Unfortunately the only road I could hear it on was a newly surfaced stretch which I used about twice a month. Anyway, just before Xmas I was reversing and turning out of a space and heard a loud ping from the front offside, and I felt a jolt through the steering wheel. Car was apparently ok but yesterday I went down 'the road' for the first time since and there is a much noisier rumble and drone from the front offside. And today I notice the oily stain... Does this still sound like a wheelbearing problem? I've changed worn wheelbearings on cars I've owned in the past but never noticed oil leaking out of them! Or maybe it's that knackered the heat its generating is melting the bearing's grease?

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Worth popping the wheel off to have a look I'd say, may be the wheel bearing or poss a driveshaft boot gone but you'd usually see grease inside the wheel rim if it's the outer one gone.

·
Registered
699 Posts
i had the same on the passenger wheel a clinking noise for about a monthe the driveshaft bolt had come completly out and the wheel centre was the only thing stopping the bolt flying on to the road so i would take the wheel off and check mate just to be safe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.