Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last week or so, I have been getting a slight oily smell inside the cabin of my ST.
Looking at this forum it seems that some people have had problems with the breather pipe which sits on top of the head under the plastic cover. I decided to whip the cover off and have a look as the rest of the engine seemed dry from what I could see.
When I removed it the top of the head was swimming in oil, so expecting to find a split breather hose I had a look at it.
The hose itself looks Ok, but the clip may not have been as tight as it could have been.
The conclusions I came up with are either,
- It was oil spilt by Ford when servicing it last time (seems to extreme and I have done about 5k since and have only just started to smell it,)
- The clip was too loose and allowed the oil to seep out at the base of the hose onto the top of the head. (the underside of the plastic cover is not oily)
- The oil is coming from somewhere else
- A bad goblin is squirting it in there under cover of darkness..........

I degreased it fully and tightened the clip last night hoping I had fixed it, but I still get an occssional oily whiff. This may just be a little resiual oil left from the cleaning process heating up, but I'm worrying it could be something else. There is a small amout of residue under the cambelt cover and I am concerned there may be a seal problem on one of the camshafts.

My questions if anyone can help are:-
1, Would enough oil come out of a loose hose clip to cause this?
2, Are there any other joints or gaskets on the top of the head that oil can come out of?
3, Would oil from the leaky hose joint make it to the cam pully cover?

I may just have to run it for a bit and see what happens. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
sounds like a cam seal mate.
the breather pipe might do it over a long period of time though.
take the cam belt cover off and run the engine.
if it is a seal you should see some oil flicking about.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I have just had two camshaft oil seals replaced which was a result of a split oil filter diaphram we think. My first question is have you takern the cover off over the top of the cambelt? I didn't have any oil under the main cover but i did catch my oil leak quickly.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(Gardener @ 14 Feb 2010, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have just had two camshaft oil seals replaced which was a result of a split oil filter diaphram we think. My first question is have you takern the cover off over the top of the cambelt? I didn't have any oil under the main cover but i did catch my oil leak quickly.

I did take the cover off the top of the cambelt and there was a very small amount. The larger main cover had loads undeneath it however.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
QUOTE(vavavoom @ 14 Feb 2010, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I did take the cover off the top of the cambelt and there was a very small amount. The larger main cover had loads undeneath it however.

Doesn't sound like it is the camshaft seals then as under my larger cover there was no oil at all. Fingers crossed then mate it was just the loose clip for the oil breather pipe. This has happend quite afew times before

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
There have been a few cars even with brand new engines fitted and the breather pipe has been loose. Hopefuly yours will be fine now?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts