Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all,

i got some Wynns Super Charge Oil Treatment for xmas (lucky me
) Just after some feedback from others - is it necessary? can it be used in the ST?

I'm reluctant to stick it in the engine without knowing a bit more about it first

Cheers

A

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(Big AAC @ 3 Jan 2010, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi all,

i got some Wynns Super Charge Oil Treatment for xmas (lucky me
) Just after some feedback from others - is it necessary? can it be used in the ST?

I'm reluctant to stick it in the engine without knowing a bit more about it first

Cheers

A

According to the Wynns website its a treatment for high mileage engines to help seal piston rings and oil seals? If thats the case i would try and change it for something else! The general consensus of opinion is that most oil additives are rubbish and do nothing to improve engine performance or longevity! Youd be better off getting some injector cleaner in my opinion!

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,193 Posts
Without looking it up, I'm sure that the handbook recommends no oil additives.

Before the ST, all of my cars had Slick 50 treatment. I was well impressed with the test results I first saw probably back in the '70's and I have used it ever since - up to getting the ST that is.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(Dabhand16 @ 3 Jan 2010, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Without looking it up, I'm sure that the handbook recommends no oil additives.

Before the ST, all of my cars had Slick 50 treatment. I was well impressed with the test results I first saw probably back in the '70's and I have used it ever since - up to getting the ST that is.

I have used Slick50 and thought it was ok! But have a read of this>>>> http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/snakeoil.htm <<<specially the bit about Briggs&Strattons bench test!

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,193 Posts
I can't deny that it was after reading of a track test where a Golf GTi was taken round Oulton Park at racing speeds for God knows how long with no oil after being treated with Slick 50 that convinced me. Their claim then was essentially to reduce friction rather than to negate the necessity for oil.

In the days before cars had ECU's I always had to turn the tickover revs down after adding Slick 50. Could this indeed be because the internal friction had been reduced?

As I've said, since then I've used it in all of my cars, all of which I tend to keep for long time and do high mileage in. I had a 950cc 'W' reg Fiesta that was on 145000 miles when I sold it to a friend who racked up a further 50,000 before giving it to his daughter. I had a 1600 Orion that gave similar service, and my Calibra had done over 206,000 miles when I passed it to its new owner. All cars never needed more that a pint of oil between services, and all were on their original engines.

Of course, I will never know if they would have done the same had I not have used Slick 50. Maybe the ST will be the testbed.

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,072 Posts
Just do an interim oil change between scheduled services... I've always done this with my previous turbo cars and all did high miles with no turbo or engine problems ...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have seen tests before where an old granada was drained of all oil and ran for a good 30mins before it expired, at racing speeds...modern engines are tough thats for sure.

With regards to slick 50 or any additive I simply would not use it, it states in the owners book not to use anything and Castrol/Mobil etc all spend millions developing good oil, if it needed an additive they would add it simple! Also its all well and good slick saying about it reducing friction giving the example of the lever you press down on at a car show...but inside an engine at huge pressure and huge temperatures its a wholly different matter.

I am not saying it doesn't work, and its definately each to their own but I personally choose to trust Ford and Castrol's recommendations, and I have never had a problem sticking to routine servicing on any modern car.

HTH

·
Registered
557 Posts
QUOTEJust do an interim oil change between scheduled services..

Thats the plan
Might as well go fully synthetic too

1 - 13 of 13 Posts