Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a problem with my oil filter housing took car off road till fixed but now when car is warm my oil pressure drops to 0 and the oil light flickers every time I slow down dose any one know what this could be.
The first half hour after starting car it will be fine only happens when warm.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Could there be an air leak between the block and filter housing so it sucks in air and loses pressure? The housing seals with o ring type seals. Or a loose/broken bolt? Stripped thread? Allowing to not squeeze on the seals and leak air.

Or, maybe a fault with the coolant sensor or the sensor on the oil housing? Make sure they're plugged properly. You can get funny reactions with the gauges because they're driven by the ECU, depending what data it recieves from various sensors and it's programming. The gauges are not direct acting like an old car.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Most importantly check oil level. It could be a sensor problem like robbo says. And it could also be the pipe to the housing that broken

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have just been out to look and the plug on the top of the housing is broken looks like i will have to buy another oil filter housing

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Was it just the sensor part or is the housing itself broken? As in, was it affecting real oil pressure or just a bad reading?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
So you had the car off the road whilst you got the oil filter housing sorted and now that it is sorted you have the problems?

So did the problems start as soon as the filter housing was fitted and you got back on the road or did it start later and get worse.

You need to be more specific

If the top of the filter housing is broken then i imagine that could have only been broken when it was being fitted?

Is it the actual filter cover that is broken where the filter has been fitted incorrectly? Was the housing checked to see if there was a filter fitted (new ones come with them fitted but a second hand one wouldnt i would have thought as it would have been binned surely), in which case have you actually got a filter fitted (which increases the pressure).

I was under my car the other day and found that the oil pressure switch wasn't connected, a bit strange i thought considering my oil temp and pressure guages had been working fine

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I was under my car the other day and found that the oil pressure switch wasn't connected, a bit strange i thought considering my oil temp and pressure guages had been working fine
Are you telling us the oil sensor is an under bonnet cosmetic mod! ?

Lol.

I'd be looking into that.....

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Are you telling us the oil sensor is an under bonnet cosmetic mod! ?

Lol.

I'd be looking into that.....
I know, i had it up on the ramp to sort something out on the radiator and just spotted the connection hanging down, i know that i hadn't touched anything on the block to that point having only just taken the undertray off so found it a bit strange seeing it like that and having just driven a few miles to the garage with no problems on the guages, it is entirely possible that it had literally just fallen off but they click into place with a little bit of force so its not like they can just fall off either

Had me baffled but i didnt lose any sleep over it

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I fitted boost hoses the other day, went to start the car and it stalled. Made me doubt myself and scratch my head. I tried it again and it ran but then threw a warning, when I looked, I'd left the connector off the alternator lol. So easy to do it and forget.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,589 Posts
The only thing that is driven by "real" oil pressure is the warning light and the position of the switch that feeds this is referenced in my previous post above.
The gauge is driven by software to a figure that the computer thinks it ought to be under the prevailing circumstances. By no stretch of the imagination is it a precision device.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Aye, my concern was that when i looked underneath the car it wasn't connected and yet i had no indication from the oil warning light nor the guage on the way down so can only assume that it must have been working its way loose (although that seems improbable too as it took some gentle force to put it back on aswell) and just happend to fall off when i put it on the ramp.

Naturally i checked my oil just to be careful but everything was fine and there was nothing to worry about

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok it is the little plug on top of housing that is broken not the housing it's self the problem started the day the new housing was fitted I also do not think the new housing was checked to see if it had a filter in it.

If it had no filter or a real old filter would that cause oil pressure to drop as oil temp rises

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Could have a knackered filter, blocking the oil system........

You've posted about it but not checked anything first. I'd never fit a part and not check it out. Asking for hassles.

Was it a used housing, or new?

How could you have it fitted and not open it to see what's inside? Russian Roulette!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not a mechanic so never thought to look inside my friend that fitted it is I assumed he changed the filters over as my old one was only a month old when I had my service done

The new housing was not new I got it from a breakers on eBay

I'm going to remove the filter today and put my filter in and see if it makes a difference

1 - 19 of 19 Posts